ATX Community

ATX 2013

Christian

I have downloaded the 2013 1040 program from the ATX website my cds not yet having arrived. Out of curiosity I downloaded it to my older machiine which has an AMD 1.4 Ghz processor although i purchased a faster model for this coming tax year. To my astonishment it downloaded the program and although slow it functions fairly well. It is actually faster than the 2012 version which is loaded on this machine. As my client base is not huge loading a given return a bit slow does not present a problem. I do not fully understand this as we have been advised by ATX to upgrade our hardware. Anyone have any ideas ?

I have said three things about ATX on other posts.

1.- That the software will run on windows XP SP3 machines that will not meet the minimum requirements. The minimum requirements were raised because ATX spent too much time helping people with old systems last year. This year they don't want to deal with old systems. Also, if you want to have a life and want the program run fast, please install on computers that meet the minimum requirement. Have you noticed that the police cars are relatively new and well maintained? Why is that? It is because it is the tool that the police use everyday. In my case, my computer is my main tool and therefore it should be relatively new and well maintained.

2.- ATX had so many issues last year that this year it will be an excellent software package from the box. My prediction is that in 2015, whoever left will come back to ATX when they realize how good the program is this year.

3.- I didn't have any issues last year but I had a new computer. No tool bars on that computer and no "cool" programs either. This computer is only for business and I keep it clean.

I hope I am right and that all of us have a nice tax season without many ATX major issues!!!!!

• Like 3

Thanks for the input guys. It looks as if I may have bought a faster machine which I will not need this coming year. It was not terribly expensive and I can use it for other matters until such time as I may need it. An older machine using Windows XP I have cannot use Windows 7 since it's maximum ram is some 1056 GB so it will need to be retired to the glue factory.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks as if I may have bought a faster machine which I will not need this coming year. It was not terribly expensive and I can use it for other matters until such time as I may need it. An older machine using Windows XP I have cannot use Windows 7 since it's maximum ram is some 1056 GB so it will need to be retired to the glue factory.

That's a lot of RAM!!!!!

ATX Supreme Guru is of course correct. The computer had 512 mb and at some point I added an upgrade to 1056 mb or 1 gb. Holiday travel and obnoxious relations mixed my bytes. Alas ! I believe I am right in that the machine cannot use Windows 7 having maxed out it's ram memory.

You need to toss that XP machine out the window if it's max out at 1GB of ram, that machine you are working on is like from the late 90's or very early 2000.

You need to toss that XP machine out the window if it's max out at 1GB of ram, that machine you are working on is like from the late 90's or very early 2000.

If the XP machine otherwise functions ok. no need to toss it. You can still use it for old tax software if you ever need to, use it as a fax server (I have a win 98 SE) and many other uses.

Did I mention I still have my original IBM XT. The green screen monitor is out of focus, but it still boots up to PC-DOS.

If the XP machine otherwise functions ok. no need to toss it. You can still use it for old tax software if you ever need to, use it as a fax server (I have a win 98 SE) and many other uses.

Did I mention I still have my original IBM XT. The green screen monitor is out of focus, but it still boots up to PC-DOS.

That's correct. Don't trash your "old" XP computer. KEEP IT.

This is what I did when I purchased my computer. I bought in Dec 2011 or so. So, I was ready to install 2011 ATX but I first installed 2009 software, move my clients, open a couple, printed, Created a test client, saved it and reopened it. (Well, I tested it).Once I knew it worked, I installed ATX 2010 and tested it. Then I was ready to install 2011. I did and once everything was working, I went to my old computer, made updates for all programs, pulled it out from the LAN and kept it. My XP box has ATX from 2000 to 2009. Since 99% of my work is done using the last 3 years of ATX, I barely fire it up. Remember, XP was a very good program but it is a bit old now.

Young operating systems don't like to deal with old programs but that's doesn't mean we are going to dump our senior programs. We have to create nursing homes and keep our elderly programs. Isn't that's the case in human life? At least we still have a leg to stand on which is called experience.

• Like 1

I use it exclusively for internet chat having stopped using it for business quite awhile back after removing ALL tax files. I enjoy speaking with folks from other places and get in a news chat off and on. Since windows is no longer going to support XP it will likely collect dust for a few years.

Why do you need a machine that old?

Why do you need a machine that old?

You mean the IBM XT? That is a classic. I am going to keep it till the day I die and put it in my will for my grand kids.

Before I purchased the IBM XT, I almost got the IBM PcJr. Remember that one trick pony?

You mean the IBM XT? That is a classic. I am going to keep it till the day I die and put it in my will for my grand kids.

Before I purchased the IBM XT, I almost got the IBM PcJr. Remember that one trick pony?

I have an IBM PS/1 which has been updated to the nth degree. It was my first computer and I am sure it would still work. However, it is on a shelf in my storeroom. That one computer cost me more in $$ than all those I have purchased since put together. The irony here is I still remember my tech telling me that "This is all you will ever need" The year was 1993 and the hard drive was 129 MB. I may still have it when I die, but I know where it will go when I am gone. (Big Green Dumpster)

I didn't have any issues last year but I had a new computer. No tool bars on that computer and no "cool" programs either. This computer is only for business and I keep it clean.

I did well after I bought a new computer as well.

And when I renewed with ATX, I told the sales rep, "Hey, I just want to do tax returns. They are not sexy. We don't need sexy software, so if you have any pull, tell them to dial back the bells and whistles." He told his office mates, and I could hear them laughing. Hey, am I right or what?

• Like 1

My biggest issue when buying a new computer is the bloatware they pre-install and to get rid of them takes time. I liked the old days when you actually had to format the hard drive and then install the operating system and then the applications.

Anyone remember how to low level format a hard drive using the DOS Debug command?

I did well after I bought a new computer as well.

And when I renewed with ATX, I told the sales rep, "Hey, I just want to do tax returns. There are not sexy. We don't need sexy software, so if you have any pull, tell them to dial back the bells and whistles." He told his office mates, and I could hear them laughing. Hey, am I right or what?

Now Rita, as my former math teacher, you know that some day tax preparers are going to be called upon to solve the Twin Prime Conjecture or some other problem plaguing the academic world. When that day arrives, the ATX Community will have the computing power to lead the charge.

• Like 4

I have my XP computer with the old programs on it, just in case I need them...which I will soon, since it have to file 6 years for a nonfiler. It also had better photo editing software than either of my newer biz machines which came in handy when I had to create an ad for a function I was sponsoring. It runs slow as molasses for the most part, but I can't toss it (or remove the hard drive and hit it with a hammer as I do with defunct biz machines)

Joan you can speed up an old XP computer to some extent. I have followed the recommendation below, especially shutting off file indexing, and not loading some of the unneeded processes. It does work. Give it a try.

You can also change the look and feel to the old Windows 2000 style and it is fast without all that glamor.

http://www.wikihow.com/Dramatically-Speed-up-Windows-XP