ATX Community

Client Folder

Guest Taxed

Yesterday I got an unsolicited sample from a folder company called Nicky's in upstate NY. It is a plastic folder with inside pockets and they want $1.25 each with name of business imprinted. Min. order 100.

From a price perspective it is a bit less than the printed Tenenz cardboard folder that I have been using.

Has anyone used this company? Any reviews.

The company legal name is Rochester 100, Inc. Rochester NY, 585-475-0200

The Mines Press has some nice folders that we use. An order of 100 is $.87 (current promo offer), per folder for their "success" tax folders. www.minespress.com We do not order pre-printed, just put an insert into the business card window. There are 7 designs to chose from.

I can't be the only one who got a free sample. Nice to know they have been around.

For $1.25 it is a nice looking plastic client folder. I am going to get an order for my "premier" clients.

Others will get the standard (cheap) 50 cent folder.

Why are we being so "Cheap" with our final presentation to our clients?

Ok, I spend about $3 for the preprinted embossed jackets I use for my clients, on a premium quality heavy duty linen...

However....

The only things (besides us talking to them...) our clients "get" from us are tax returns, and if it looks "cheap" then you are precieved as "cheap".

My average 1040 return fee is about $300, so your rates may vary. So $3 to me is only 1% of the fee.

One of the firms I worked with in the past, now charges an average of $500 for a 1040, and they just stick the returns into a rubber-stamped blue folder like you used to get for your 3rd grade thesis report... Looks "cheap" to me.... And maybe it doesn't matter, just look how much thier fee is now...

Rich

>>> My average 1040 return fee is about $300, so your rates may vary. So $3 to me is only 1% of the fee.

There lies the difference. I am not playing in the same league as you are! I am at the public golf course!

>>> My average 1040 return fee is about $300, so your rates may vary. So $3 to me is only 1% of the fee.

There lies the difference. I am not playing in the same league as you are! I am at the public golf course!

Where would you rather Play?

Public or Private Course?

You can look good at either facility. And the cost difference isn't that much. I re-checked, I got 500 tax jackets for $642 so that is really $1.28 each Maybe my initial order was higher for set up costs, etc.

Rich

I can't be the only one who got a free sample. Nice to know they have been around.

For $1.25 it is a nice looking plastic client folder. I am going to get an order for my "premier" clients.

Others will get the standard (cheap) 50 cent folder.

they are great, clients love them, I have been using them for many years. You can change colors each year or for each type of return. Basically they are waterproof and tear proof and you can use the back pocket for your self advertising.

• Like 1

With my golfing skills, I would be booted out of a private course for destroying their turf!

Same here.

I avoid nice courses - out of respect for the game.

But on those rare occasions when I do play, no matter where we play or who I'm with, I always claim bragging rights for the lowest average cost-per-shot.

• Like 2

Until I switched to the Tenenz folders, for years I used regular two-pocket folders from the office supply stores. One side for client original doc's, the other for completed returns. Used my label printed to print "Smith - 2008 Taxes" label to affix. I keep thinking of going back, as that entire pocket for original docs is nice. OTOH, I like the stapled-in copy....

I use folders from Tenenz and I don't differentiate between clients. They are all equally as important. I use the ones where MY information shows in the window. ( I designed that cover sheet many years ago and have it saved so that I can print off fifty or so at a time.) I use the same color folder every year. However, I affix a two-sided Year sticker to the spine and these are always a different color. I put a label on the cover below the window with the client's name. I also (if it is the case) put the oval e-file logo sticker on the lower right side at an angle. The clients love it. I get those year stickers on Ebay for pennies, usually from a Dr. who has a partial box left over from the year before. They can also be purchased from Smead, but I like the larger ones.

When I see some of the packages that come from the big box preparers and even some CPA's, I shudder. If I were a golfer, I would also be playing at the public course. However, that is no reason not to provide my clients with a nice presentation of their return.

(Lion, my assistant is a graphic artist and she is making me a pattern for that e-file sticker that the IRS no longer provides for either free or fee. She already has the logo made. I know you were using those too.)

This season I am going to use the small Staples binder clips for those who object to heavy duty staples. I am more than willing to e-mail them a pdf of the return and I also offer CD with their documents in lieu of a paper folder.

So far I don't have too many takers wanting the CD.

Yes, Marilyn, I love those e-file stickers that the IRS no longer makes.

I picked up the idea, perhaps from Catherine, of using two-pocket portfolios back when I started my own business. I use a different color each year; and it's helped me more than once on the telephone to be able to tell the client to look for a green folder or whichever color for that year. I buy them during Staples' back-to-school sale each year. I get "year" stickers from M&C, alternating between gold and silver. I have a lot of really fat returns, so also buy Staples' vinyl folders that hold a lot and get the best coordinating color they have. Sometimes, I have a business return and a personal return and maybe a couple of kids and even a trust. So, I usually have a "back-up" color if the client needs to tell them apart, light and dark green or yellow and orange.

I tried the folders that you fold over and staple, but didn't like them as my returns got fatter. And, if I goofed, misaligned, whatever, and had to unstaple those really big staples, well that destroyed the folder.

I do get compliments on my packaging.

Marilyn, are you considering a side business selling e-file stickers? I used them as well until the IRS quit providing them. I liked reminding our clients that their return either was e-filed or could have been. I use the 2 pocket folders - one side for stuff to keep and one side for stuff to mail (if anything,) If nothing to mail, I put the privacy policy in that side. No one reads it, but I make sure they get it at least once, and usually two or three times!

Marilyn, are you considering a side business selling e-file stickers? I used them as well until the IRS quit providing them. I liked reminding our clients that their return either was e-filed or could have been. I use the 2 pocket folders - one side for stuff to keep and one side for stuff to mail (if anything,) If nothing to mail, I put the privacy policy in that side. No one reads it, but I make sure they get it at least once, and usually two or three times!

I really wasn't. However, my assistant might as her business is graphic art. I guess she would have to find out if there are any copyright issues before she could sell any. It was a blow when the IRS discontinued the preparer package; but when you could no longer order the stickers, it was a major blow. No matter which way you turn these days, you get less for more.

No copyright issues to use the Authorized e-file provider logo. I was trying to stick the jpeg file here but board does not allow. If have this jpeg file, just stick it in any advertisement or flyer you are creating. You don't need a graphics artist.

See the info below.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Advertising-Standards

The IRS does not have a copyright for the IRS e-file logo. Use the logo only to indicate that a Provider offers this service to taxpayers or has performed it on behalf of a taxpayer. Providers must not use the logo to portray any other relationship between the IRS and any Provider. In using the IRSe-file logo, the Provider must use the following guidelines:

• Do not combine the logo with the IRS eagle symbol, the word “Federal” or with other words or symbols that suggest a special relationship between the IRS and the logo user
  • Do not place text closer than ¼ inch from the logo
  • Do not overprint other words or symbols on the logo
  • Do not change the letter spacing or type style

In one-color products, the logo should be printed solid, preferably PMS 285 blue. In multi-color products, print the logo in solid PMS 285 blue with the lightning bolt in solid PMS 109 yellow. When using color systems other than Pantone (PMS), the colors should be as close as possible to the PMS shades.

Edited by kcjenkins
Edited to add the relevant section, for those who hesitate to click on links.
  • Like 1

I put their documents in the left pocket, return which includes a privacy statement in the right, and anything they have to deal with (payment vouchers, ES vouchers, mail-in return, something for next year, something from a prior year to go home and put in that year's folder, privacy statement if I haven't handed it to them before, my invoice, etc.) outside on top to hand to them separately and explain what their action needs to be. I tell them they can file the folder away, but they have to do something with these papers.

They almost always pay me on the spot. Some sit here and write their tax payment checks, put in the envelopes, and stamp them, so they can mail them on their way home.

Some will stuff all that inside their folder to carry out, but at least I tried to explain to them that there is something they have to do!

>>> They almost always pay me on the spot. Some sit here and write their tax payment checks, put in the envelopes, and stamp them, so they can mail them on their way home.

When I first started that is exactly what I did. Gave them the envelope with 2 first class stamps. My teacher taught me that way but over time I have forgotten that!

My top sheet is a checklist with "Immediate Action Required" that will list if they have balance due, where to mail the voucher and check. I put a sticky at all signature lines "Signature Required". Most of my 1040 clients without Sch C, i can staple their documents and put it in the back of the folder with a label" Important Tax Documents DO NOT DISCARD". For my schedule C clients their source documents goes back in the same way they provided because they have their own filing system for receipts (cash, credit card, check etc.) and paid invoices or credit card receipts of expenses paid. Unfortunately a lot of them still believe in a very large shoe box, and i am not about to mess with that.

I think I had mentioned I used to do spiral binding with a GBC machine, but discontinued when people complained.

The state return is behind the Federal return. I have an assistant who helps out with putting the packages together and it takes her about 15 minutes to print, collate, staple and call the client that it is ready for pickup.

I am still on the fence on duplex printing because the characters show when you are reading the other side unless you use a heavier stock paper. I buy the Staples copy paper and that shows through.