ATX Community

Atx tax 2013 storage location may only be modified from server

Tax130

I installed ATX 2013 on a server with the server only option that is given on the install disk.

Then I installed the software on three computers with the workstation option from the server install menu on the install disk.

When I try to chage the backup location and the data location from the admin account on one of the workstations, I get the "atx tax 2013 storage location may only be modified from server", notice from the change location section. Since there is no software to open on the server when you install it as server only, You are told to make any modifcations to the backup file location from one of the workstaions with admin privileges. Yet, I get the notice "Atx tax 2013 storage location may only be modified from server". How am I to modify the data and backup location from a workstation if it wont let me and the server side has no software console to open?

The ATX instructions were written before the release version was rebuilt in early November. If you want the program to work smoothly, DON'T MESS WITH IT! The OP said he was trying to move the data storage as well as the backup locations. DON'T MESS WITH IT!!!

I have tons of pertinent information that I am not allowed to disclose due to my NDA. I have requests in to CCH legal for permission to tell, now that the program has been released.

Anyone who wishes to listen to my recommendations will have a smoother experience. If you need individual help, send me a PM.

• Like 1

The ATX instructions were written before the release version was rebuilt in early November. If you want the program to work smoothly, DON'T MESS WITH IT! The OP said he was trying to move the data storage as well as the backup locations. DON'T MESS WITH IT!!!

I have tons of pertinent information that I am not allowed to disclose due to my NDA. I have requests in to CCH legal for permission to tell, now that the program has been released.

Anyone who wishes to listen to my recommendations will have a smoother experience. If you need individual help, send me a PM.

Kim made a post on her blog about this. Problem is a lot of people have a small C drive on server for holding windows and windows files but have a separate D drive for programs and data.

• The application location cannot be altered, but you will have the ability to change the storage locations for tax prep data (i.e. returns) and changing the database backup location by using the Admin Console. You can access the Admin console by going to Programs>CCH Small Firm Services>ATX 2013>ATX 2013 Admin Console
  • Like 1

• The application location cannot be altered, but you will have the ability to change the storage locations for tax prep data (i.e. returns) and changing the database backup location by using the Admin Console. You can access the Admin console by going to Programs>CCH Small Firm Services>ATX 2013>ATX 2013 Admin Console

Are you going to post fixes for the problems that develop when people start changing these things?

DON"T MESS WITH IT!!!!

Kim made a post on her blog about this. Problem is a lot of people have a small C drive on server for holding windows and windows files but have a separate D drive for programs and data.

That would be a rookie mistake by the person that designed the computer.

The idea was, that if the operating system failed on a specific drive, the data on the other drive would be safe. While this may have been a good idea for Win 95 thru Millenium, it is now just an urban myth. I have not seen an operating system fail in 10 years. I have seen hard drives fail. Having two separate drives does NOT REDUCE the chance of either of them failing. The only protection against a hard drive failing is a raid configuration where information is redundantly written on multiple drives, with ability to recreat the data on a failed drive.

DON"T MESS WITH IT!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, ATX Supreme Guru. The ATX 2012 and down install process is different from ATX 2013. I wanted to change the data file and backup location to keep everything in the same area where the other versions reside. It bugs me that I now have one program in a different location from all the other ones.
All well, I always said we are slaves to the manufactures. In the end there is not much you can do about it.

Quickbooks is another company that tends to keep people enslaved on the their software. One way is to force people to buy an upgrade or they will not provide support to you. I will will leave ATX 2013 as it is like you say.

Funny how these Company's make millions and still give out faulty instuctions and software and We're stuck trying to figure it out.

Thanks again.

>>> All well, I always said we are slaves to the manufactures. In the end there is not much you can do about it.

Drake is also very particular where the program files reside (root directory). You can change your client file and backup directories.

So I would not blame ATX for being strict about it.

You will notice that the more sophisticated a software is, it has its own requirements.

For those people who have a network server, and don't have access to an IT professional on very short notice during the tax season, a RAID Array makes sense in my opinion. On the newer array's you can hot swap a drive, just like changing USB drives.

>>> All well, I always said we are slaves to the manufactures. In the end there is not much you can do about it.

Drake is also very particular where the program files reside (root directory). You can change your client file and backup directories.

So I would not blame ATX for being strict about it.

You will notice that the more sophisticated a software is, it has its own requirements.

For those people who have a network server, and don't have access to an IT professional on very short notice during the tax season, a RAID Array makes sense in my opinion. On the newer array's you can hot swap a drive, just like changing USB drives.

>>>You can change your client file and backup directories.

The whole point of this post is that You can't change your client file and backup directories in ATX 2013. Read the above posts. You may say it can be done and the ATX instructions say so also but it is not working. This is not the first time ATX sends out faulty instructions and software, ATX 2012 was a mess for months when it first came out. So I do blame that manufactures because they get richer and we are left jumping through hoops trying to get this working properly. It is a known fact that software companies deliberately release software with known bugs just to meet their fiscal and financial deadlines. I am not here to argue. I am just stating what is occurring. Plus, After the unreliablity of the backup files integrity of ATX 2012, 2013 is already giving me the creeps.

By the way, I do have a Raid setup. I have many ways to protect my data.

I just expect my software to behave according to its instructions and that is not happening at the moment.

I'm one of the individuals who would like to store client files on a different drive. The reason is because my C: drive is a 250GB solid state drive which is much faster for booting the operating system and doesn't require defragmenting. I store my other programs and data files on my D: drive which is a 3TB HDD which is slower and requires defragmenting. However since 2013 ATX required installation to the C: drive I have decided to leave the data files there so there wouldn't be any issues if tech support were to be required.

The idea was, that if the operating system failed on a specific drive, the data on the other drive would be safe. While this may have been a good idea for Win 95 thru Millenium, it is now just an urban myth. I have not seen an operating system fail in 10 years. I have seen hard drives fail. Having two separate drives does NOT REDUCE the chance of either of them failing. The only protection against a hard drive failing is a raid configuration where information is redundantly written on multiple drives, with ability to recreat the data on a failed drive.

DON"T MESS WITH IT!!!!

The following is bad?

Below is some quick information about the ADMIN Console

Purpose of the Admin Console

The Admin Console has two main functions:

· Technical Support for Server-Related Issues

· Manage Server Activities

Manage Server Activities

The Admin Console is a central location in ATX where the Admin user (or designee) can manage server-related activities, such as:

· Changing the storage locations for tax prep data.

· Changing the database backup location.

· Performing a manual backup of the entire system.

· Restoring a previous, backed-up version of the system database.

· Changing port number information.

Technical Support for Server-Related Issues

The Admin Console also enables ATX Technical Support to troubleshoot issues related to the server The ATX server stores file data used in the tax preparation process (such as returns, preparers, companies, payers, billing, etc.). The ATX server also provides a central storage location for the Form masters. The server saves data coming from workstations (clients) and sends data to workstations as they request it. It also manages backup and restore functions..

Accessing the Admin Console

To open the Admin Console:

1. From the Support menu in any main manager, select About ATX.

2. Click the Admin Console link at the bottom of the dialog box.

The Server Settings tab provides the location of your physical address of the computer that is your ATX server, and displays the server status and port numbers.

3. Click the File Settings tab.

The following is bad?

Below is some quick information about the ADMIN Console

Purpose of the Admin Console

The Admin Console has two main functions:

· Technical Support for Server-Related Issues

· Manage Server Activities

Manage Server Activities

The Admin Console is a central location in ATX where the Admin user (or designee) can manage server-related activities, such as:

· Changing the storage locations for tax prep data.

· Changing the database backup location.

· Performing a manual backup of the entire system.

· Restoring a previous, backed-up version of the system database.

· Changing port number information.

Technical Support for Server-Related Issues

The Admin Console also enables ATX Technical Support to troubleshoot issues related to the server The ATX server stores file data used in the tax preparation process (such as returns, preparers, companies, payers, billing, etc.). The ATX server also provides a central storage location for the Form masters. The server saves data coming from workstations (clients) and sends data to workstations as they request it. It also manages backup and restore functions..

Accessing the Admin Console

To open the Admin Console:

1. From the Support menu in any main manager, select About ATX.

2. Click the Admin Console link at the bottom of the dialog box.

The Server Settings tab provides the location of your physical address of the computer that is your ATX server, and displays the server status and port numbers.

3. Click the File Settings tab.

So is this post by ATX garbage?

Repeat for posterity!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DON"T MESS WITH IT!!!!

I like my data in a separate partition because it's easier to backup. In my case, Carbonite Pro won't let me backup the folders where ATX stores both the data and the backups. I'm just going to routinely copy the ATX file to my data partition where Carbonite will let me back them up. I'm switching to CrashPlan after tax season.

There is indeed a way to accomplish this - I did it with the help of a knowledgable ATX tech as the documentation is not up to date. You do an update on the SERVER - this will download the Admin console, where you can then move the data storage from your C: drive to where you want it.