ATX Community

O Tannenbaum

Mr. Pencil

O Tannenbaum  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When do you take down the Christmas tree?

• Alreaqdy done--time to move on!
    • This weekend
    • After New Years
    • Not before January 6th (12th night)
    • Not sure--spouse or kids do it

There was a great cartoon a WHOLE bunch of years ago; a guy taking down a mostly-bare real tree with a couple of tired ornaments still clinging to it. Caption said, "Every year after Labor Day, Harold finally takes down the Christmas tree."

But that's not one of the choices... ^_^

I do know one family -- with a really small living room -- who puts their tree up (only with lights) on the porch. They leave it up 'til there has been enough of a spring thaw to actually remove it safely. Usually mid-March.

What day is this that you speak of? never heard of it before

Three Kings Day is also called "Epiphany", "The Feast of the Magi", and "The Manifestation of God", and is the day that Jesus was revealed to the 3 kings (wisemen). The Eastern Christian Church celebrates the day of Christ's birth on Jan 6. And for many, the 12 days of Christmas are from Dec 25 to Jan 6 ending on Three Kings Day, and not from Dec 13 to Dec 25 as some celebrate it.

• Like 1

No, not a Catholic thing at all, although Epiphany is a feast day for Catholics but not a day of holy obligation on the Church calendar. The eastern religions (Eastern Christian Church, the Egyptian Coptic Church, and others) also celebrate Epiphany and consider it a very important holiday, only behind Easter and Pentecost (I think). The Greeks celebrate on a different day in January because of a different calendar that was followed.

If you google "Epiphany", Wikipedia has a good history and talks of the other religions that celebrate it, as do some other sites that will come up, if you are interested.

No, not a Catholic thing at all, although Epiphany is a feast day for Catholics but not a day of holy obligation on the Church calendar. The eastern religions (Eastern Christian Church, the Egyptian Coptic Church, and others) also celebrate Epiphany and consider it a very important holiday, only behind Easter and Pentecost (I think). The Greeks celebrate on a different day in January because of a different calendar that was followed.

If you google "Epiphany", Wikipedia has a good history and talks of the other religions that celebrate it, as do some other sites that will come up, if you are interested.

Thanks!

Epiphany is celebrated in my Episcopal church. And, my hubby taught in a neighboring small city with a growing Hispanic population, so covered Three Kings' Day in his choral concerts and classes.

I stopped putting our tree up as we have been at my son's Inn since Christmas Day enjoying their tree and decorations.

Growing up, my family tended to take the tree down the weekend after New Year's. In my first apartment I had little to no storage space so left the tree up until I could borrow a ladder to get it on top of the kitchen cabinets (artificial tree, obviously). More recently, real trees would come down the weekend after New Year's or sooner if dry and brittle. Live trees would go into the basement or garage and wait until the ground was OK for planting. Our artificial tree would come down after New Year's, but everyone would go back to school/work and leave me to undecorate the house. It was sad to undecorate. So, some years I would put up the tree only or all the decorations only except the tree to have less of a difference when I put everything away in January. Now, I do very little and enjoy the Inn's decorations. This year I put out candles and placemats and a few of my favorite picture ornaments. Our presents (unwrapped now) are still piled on the hearth with the new framed picture from our daughter (skydiving before & after!) and the new candlesticks made by my son and daughter-in-law on the mantle.