ATX Community

Accuwage & Java download problems with IE11 and Win 7

jklcpa

Jack, I was surprised to have the issue with accuwage. I even called SSA and their tech person said they've had many people with the combo of Win 7 and IE 11 not be able to get past that intercepting page and they have been given no fix for the issue if users are stuck. The person I spoke to said he's personally taken calls from hundreds of people already that have had this issue. Believe me when I say that I checked everything mentioned in their troubleshooting, FAQs, many other settings with Java, internet option settings, UAC. I didn't want to download another browser but with friends saying it's wonderful, I went ahead and did it. All I can say is that it did allow me to get the accuwage, but I am not seeing the speed or anything else that is so wonderful about it; in fact I think it might be slower that IE.

I just had the same issue. Thank god for this thread & forum to keep my cursing down to a minimum. I knew to try Chrome right away.

• Like 1

I just had the same issue. Thank god for this thread & forum to keep my cursing down to a minimum. I knew to try Chrome right away.

I'm glad it helped and saved you the frustration I went through trying to make things work.

I'm going to change the title of the topic to be more descriptive of my troubles with the download. Maybe it will help others too.

I have not left IE 10; for all of the above reasons. I also understand that there are some issues with Java updates and I have been advised not to update Java. ???????? :scratch_head: More confusion to mull over. I am having no problems with any programs other than my e-mail and that only happened after ATX tech used team viewer to get the beta software to work on this computer. Other two computers are working fine. I know they changed some settings; just wish I knew which ones.

I have not left IE 10; for all of the above reasons. I also understand that there are some issues with Java updates and I have been advised not to update Java. ???????? :scratch_head: More confusion to mull over. I am having no problems with any programs other than my e-mail and that only happened after ATX tech used team viewer to get the beta software to work on this computer. Other two computers are working fine. I know they changed some settings; just wish I knew which ones.

So then you haven't tried to download accuwage yet?

You might be ok using IE10, but I'll tell you that the SSA rep I spoke with said that anyone with Win 7 and with IE9 or higher might have the same problem this year that I did with the Java intercepting page popping up. It might work for you and it might not. Also, SSA recommends that you uninstall all previous year versions of accuwage before you begin the current year's download, and the SSA site will require that your Java is up to date. If you try to download Accuwage 2013 with an older version of Java, it will pop up the intercepting page with a click button that will take you to Java's site to get the latest version. You won't be able to get Accuwage until you complete this step no matter what internet browser you are using. That's where I was stuck, and I did have the most recent Java.

I could see the latest version of Java was installed by looking at my control panel, and I could test that on Java's site also. Someone on another forum provided me with a link to a www.whatismybrowser.com that easily and clearly told me that Java was not being detected even though I could also see that all of it was "enabled" in my add-ons list.

If anyone else running Internet Explorer has this problem and can't easily resolve the problem and you have another browser or are willing to download one, do that instead of being frustrated or wasting all of the time that I did over this little Accuwage program!

It would be easier if SSA allowed the upload of the W-2 file to their site to run Accuwage on there, and then to continue on with the filing and processing if no errors were found. I guess that would be too simple and logical for a government site to work that way!

• Like 3

Has anyone tried going to the tool section of internet explorer 11 and choose compatibility view settings, add the website your at to the list? I've had to do this on several sites to get them to behave. Maybe it will work here too!

If by "here" you mean in the case of IE11 being able to detect that the latest version of Java is on the machine, that won't work. It isn't a compatibility issue with IE11 interacting with a web page, IE11 is not recognizing that Java is installed and enabled.

I just downloaded Accuwage last night for the first time. It worked very well with Chrome. I hope there isn't something somewhere that says that I can't use Chrome, but I've been using it with the SSA for a few years.

Any of the browsers can be tried. SSA doesn't tell you not to use any particular one. There were configuration and troubleshooting issues mentioned in the troubleshooting and FAQs pages of SSAs site for each of the browsers and how to fix settings if certain errors occurred. If you were able to download it, you should be good. :)

My W-2 is always the first one I test, and it is working for me. I did get an informational-only error saying the transmitter's EIN and the payer's EIN were an exact match, and that was OK to process if that was my actual intent.

He created and implemented it. He also swears by Google Chrome.

I also swear by Google Chrome. Most people who develop websites prefer it because Google Chrome is the best at the thing we care most about: rendering web pages according to current standards.

Of course we also realize that most people don't care about that as much as we do, and choose their favorite browser for other reasons. You IE users are forgiven as long as you keep updating. :P

Also, unrelated, but I don't know if there are any good Ad Blocking plugins for IE or not, but if not, you should really try Firefox or Chrome with AdBlock.

EDIT: Sorry for the hijack. Didn't notice there was a Page 2.

AdBlock Plus is available for IE, in case anyone cares to give it a shot

https://adblockplus.org/en/features

• Like 1

I also swear by Google Chrome. Most people who develop websites prefer it because Google Chrome is the best at the thing we care most about: rendering web pages according to current standards.

Of course we also realize that most people don't care about that as much as we do, and choose their favorite browser for other reasons. You IE users are forgiven as long as you keep updating. :P

Also, unrelated, but I don't know if there are any good Ad Blocking plugins for IE or not, but if not, you should really try Firefox or Chrome with AdBlock.

What is your take on the Accuwage download issue? First of all, the downloaded file is only executable with Java. That is a website designer choice. Second of all, I have not heard that IE11 does not recognize the latest version of Java. I have opened many sites that use Java with no hitches. If my IE11 did not recognize it, it would not use it.

I am sticking to the website needing to be fixed, or the download file to not require Java.

How do I make Chrome block ads? I moved to Chrome when two sites I need (one is mail for a client) stopped working in IE. (I have two other sites that don't work in Chrome, but less important, just annoying.) Now I have ads at the top and the left side and on the bottom and ones that pop up in the middle and and random words/phrases in bright blue with double underlines (are they turned into links?) that are also distracting.

Eric, you're funny. This topic was hijacked long before your post.

Hey, I could change the title again, but this site wouldn't allow that much of a title for all that's been covered. :lol:

How do I make Chrome block ads? I moved to Chrome when two sites I need (one is mail for a client) stopped working in IE. (I have two other sites that don't work in Chrome, but less important, just annoying.) Now I have ads at the top and the left side and on the bottom and ones that pop up in the middle and and random words/phrases in bright blue with double underlines (are they turned into links?) that are also distracting.

First, it sounds like you may have some nasty thing installed that's injecting extra ads into pages. If you're seeing that stuff on this site, then that's definitely the case. It's hard to diagnose anything without actually seeing your screen, but it can't hurt to check what extensions you have installed. To see your extensions, click the "Hamburger" menu, which is the horizontal three line icon at the top-right of the Chrome browser.

From the menu, choose Settings near the bottom. From the Settings page, click the Extensions link on the left side.

You'll see a list of all extensions you have installed. You can uncheck the boxes to disable ones you think may be problematic, or hit the trash can icon to delete them. Unfortunately, if you do have some stubborn thing installed on your system, they can tend to re-install themselves into your browsers on their own.

For blocking ads in Chrome, you can get an extension called AdBlock. (if you've got something else injecting ads into pages, though, it's not going to help with that)

This link may or may not take you directly to AdBlock on the Chrome Web Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

If not, go to the Chrome Web Store:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps

And then search for AdBlock. There are a few that look similar, but the one I use is called simply "AdBlock" and the Icon looks like a stop sign with a with a hand up, palm facing out.

There's a blue button at the top-right that says something like "+ Free". Press that to install it.

Browsing the web is like a whole new experience without ads.

What is your take on the Accuwage download issue? First of all, the downloaded file is only executable with Java. That is a website designer choice. Second of all, I have not heard that IE11 does not recognize the latest version of Java. I have opened many sites that use Java with no hitches. If my IE11 did not recognize it, it would not use it.

I am sticking to the website needing to be fixed, or the download file to not require Java.

I guess Java has its place, but I've never been particularly fond of it. For one, it's as bad as Adobe Flash and Acrobat in terms of how often security exploits are found, so it needs constant updating. From a user experience point of view, I don't like the idea of requiring that someone download a plugin in order to use a service. The web has progressed to the point where a rich application experience can be created without additional plugins, all with HTML 5, CSS 3, and Javascript. All of the application level processing should happen on the server. No plugins required.

As for this specific issue, I think the easiest way to tell if it's a problem with the website, or a configuration/software issue on the PC is to go here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

That's Java's page that tests to see if you have Java installed properly. If anyone should be able to detect Java working on a particular browser/config it's Oracle.

There are so many variables here, that it's hard to say what's going on for sure. Sometimes software does weird things for some people and not for others. Example: I've seen three different computers that refused to navigate to websites in IE11. Type a URL or a search term in the bar, hit enter, nothing happens. For me, it always worked fine. In every case resetting all Internet Explorer settings fixed the problem, and it never returned. I chalk it up to computer goblins because sometimes it's easier to fix than to understand.

• Like 1

As for this specific issue, I think the easiest way to tell if it's a problem with the website, or a configuration/software issue on the PC is to go here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

That's Java's page that tests to see if you have Java installed properly. If anyone should be able to detect Java working on a particular browser/config it's Oracle.

There are so many variables here, that it's hard to say what's going on for sure. Sometimes software does weird things for some people and not for others. Example: I've seen three different computers that refused to navigate to websites in IE11. Type a URL or a search term in the bar, hit enter, nothing happens. For me, it always worked fine. In every case resetting all Internet Explorer settings fixed the problem, and it never returned. I chalk it up to computer goblins because sometimes it's easier to fix than to understand.

I ran that test using Oracle's tool the very first night and it told me that I had the most current version and found no issues. That did not help me, if fact it made me waste time trying to get it to work because I knew it was installed.

Thanx, Eric.

I'll try AdBlock.

I checked my extensions. Two are from games the kids invited me to play, probably the source of ads, but the kids have got me hooked. One is for my tax research, IntelliConnect. And the last is something called DefaultTab 2.0.5 -- is that a Chrome thing or should I disable it?

DefaultTab 2.0.5

A fast and easy way to navigate to your favorite web sites Permissions Visit website

Allow in incognito
Allow access to file URLs

I ran that test using Oracle's tool the very first night and it told me that I had the most current version and found no issues. That did not help me, if fact it made me waste time trying to get it to work because I knew it was installed.

Well it is a mystery. I'm not sure what they're doing differently to properly detect Java that this other website isn't doing. I'm tempted to go find a java applet, and embed it into a page to see if you can view it.

I did the same thing,

Well it is a mystery. I'm not sure what they're doing differently to properly detect Java that this other website isn't doing. I'm tempted to go find a java applet, and embed it into a page to see if you can view it.

It is the website issue. I have gone to other websites with java applets installed with no issues. I am using IE11

I'd be interested to try that, Eric. Remember that other site also told me that the IE11 browser wasn't detecting Java 7, although it was installed and was showing as "enabled" in my IE11 add-ons. I'm glad Jack isn't having any troubles with IE11 and Java, but when I googled those 2 in one search, lots of pages came up with people having a variety of issues with the 2 programs working properly together.