ATX Community

need help, and mileage question at bottom

ljwalters

I'm going to need some help this year

My 95 year old dad died in June. My 87 year old mom broke her pelvis in December. My 62 year old brother died the first week of February after 10 months in the hospital after a botched surgery. My mom while recovering well from her broken pelvis ended up in the hospital last Thursday with severe congestive heart failure. She is home with me now but very week and needs a lot of attention and care.

All this doesn't leave much desire or time to do taxes. I have decided to call some of my more complicated and time consuming client to tell them I need to bow out this year. But I can't quit completely, This small business is my only means of income.

What I am asking of all of you is that you help me with mundane question this year. My brain is already fried and research is to time consuming.

I am asking ahead of time because I don't think I could handle any snide remarks for stupid questions.

Here is my first simple I should know it question.

Client ( digs the holes for pools) Has an office in home. He travels to bid jobs from home, mileage is deductible. He has a shop/yard where he keeps his heavy equipment and picks up his employees to go out to the jobsites. Mileage from yard/shop to jobsite is deductible.

Question: Is the mileage from home to the yard/shop deductible or commute?

Thanks for listening

I'm going to need some help this year

My 95 year old dad died in June. My 87 year old mom broke her pelvic in December. My 62 year old brother did the first week of February after 10 months in the hospital after a botched surgery. My mom while recovering well from her broken pelvic ended up in the hospital last Thursday with severe congestive heart failure. She is home with me now but very week and needs a lot of attention and care.

All this doesn't leave much desire or time to do taxes. I have decided to call some of my more complicated and time consuming client to tell them I need to bow out this year. But I can't quit completely, This small business is my only means of income.

What I am asking of all of you is that you help me with mundane question this year. My brain is already fried and research is to time consuming.

I am asking ahead of time because I don't think I could handle any snide remarks for stupid questions.

Here is my firs simple I should know it question.

Client ( digs the holes for pools) Has an office in home. He travels to bid jobs from home, mileage is deductible. He has a shop/yard where he keeps his heavy equipment and picks up his employees to go out to the jobsites. Mileage from yard/shop to jobsite is deductible.

Question: Is the mileage from home to the yard/shop deductible or commute?

Thanks for listening

Sorry to hear of all your losses. My deepest condolences.

Simple answer to your question: Commuting.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles too. Perhaps some of the more difficult clients wouldn't mind going on extension when they hear the reason for your not being able to do their work this year, and you could work at a slower pace. I hate to see you lose income as well with your troubles at this time. My condolences.

• Like 3

I too am disheartened to hear of your difficulties. These are circumstances that can happen to any of us, at any time. Perhaps you know of a respected competitor who you can call and ask for help, then "subcontract" certain returns to them (if the client agrees).

A friendly local alliance may turn into a long-term business transition solution. I have developed a relationship with another CPA firm that I refer clients to that are not suitable for us (such as audits), and they also refer work to us that is within our specialty areas.

If you encourage your clients to search on their own, you may never see them again. What a loss.

I am sorry for your losses and for the pressures you are under. Several others have already mentioned extensions, and I will add a strong encouragement for you to use that as your relief valve. If you simply tell your clients of your situation and that you must file extensions, most of them will surprise you with how readily they agree to it. (at least, the good clients will understand). You should tell them that the last thing they want is to have you trying to finish their work under pressure of deadlines and all the other personal things you are dealing with right now. Their financial situation is too important for the work to be prepared by a tired, distracted, overwhelmed preparer being ruled by an arbitrary Apr 15 deadline. If they don't trust your judgment in this situation, then there is no trust in the business relationship at all.

Filing the extension doesn't mean their work will wait until Oct 15 - it simply means you may not be able to get their return finished until Apr 20, Apr 30, May 10, May 20, etc. Taking Apr 15 off the table as a meaningful date will provide you tremendous relief and will enable you to be more effective at this critical time. Be proactive - make filing the extension a normal part of your intake process. You should start filing extensions soon - maybe as early as March 1. Discuss this with the client when they bring their info to you; don't wait until the first of April to address this. The good clients will understand, and the lousy, insensitive clients will show their true colors. Both ways, you win.

• Like 2

What a stress-filled year you have had. My heart goes out to you, and I will try to help in any way that I can. I agree with those recommending extensions where feasible - just be cautious about clients that typically owe since filing after April 15 may cause them to blame you for any penalties the IRS assesses for late payment of the taxes. I will hold you and your family in my prayers.

Come here as often as you need for whatever you need. We're all in this together.

I'm a huge fan of extensions.

I also think mileage is deductible to bid on jobs, to pick up equipment and workers, to bank, for any business purpose, whether he's going from his OIH to any of those or going between his various activities/locations. (Just don't pick up the dry cleaning on the way!) As long as he is "on business" it's business mileage and deductible with an OIH.

• Like 1