ATX Community

Primary residence sold, qualifies for exclusion but ...

Karen Lee

1) In the 2008 New Housing Rescue and Foreclosure Prevention Act’, Congress disallowed for the Section 121 exclusion the pro rata portion of the gain that corresponds to any period of nonqualified use after 2008. So . . . if they rented the house for 18 mos out of the 5 years, 30% of the gain is included and not qualified for the exclusion.

2) Must pay depreciation recap. 26 USC 121 d 6 (for all depreciation taken after 6 May 1997; pre-May 1997, they are golden)

Thank you. I have been procrastinating on this one and now they want me to finish it up. I am leaving for my aunt's funeral and will be gone for 3 days so my procrastination has now bit me. Thank you so much. My aunt and I had a very close relationship so it is very hard for me.

1) In the 2008 New Housing Rescue and Foreclosure Prevention Act’, Congress disallowed for the Section 121 exclusion the pro rata portion of the gain that corresponds to any period of nonqualified use after 2008. So . . . if they rented the house for 18 mos out of the 5 years, 30% of the gain is included and not qualified for the exclusion.

2) Must pay depreciation recap. 26 USC 121 d 6 (for all depreciation taken after 6 May 1997; pre-May 1997, they are golden)

So, I have a house that I bought for $100K in 2010, then I rent it for 2 years and at the end of those two years the FMV of the house was $150, then I move to the house and live there for 6 years and sell it for $300K, All the gain will be wiped but I will ONLY do depreciation recapture, correct?

Thank you. I have been procrastinating on this one and now they want me to finish it up. I am leaving for my aunt's funeral and will be gone for 3 days so my procrastination has now bit me. Thank you so much. My aunt and I had a very close relationship so it is very hard for me.

So sorry to hear that. A loss that would be a stressor at any time is doubly so during tax season. I'll be praying for you.

• Like 1