ATX Community

Post editing and deleting

Eric

I made some changes to the forum a few days ago.

There is a time limit on how long you can edit your posts.  If you notice mistakes, you can edit your posts to fix them for 5 minutes after the post is made.  I figure we'll try this out for a while, if the time limit needs to be modified, we'll eventually work it out based on feedback.

Second, instead of deleting your own posts, you can hide them.  It's actually not that different than before, since deleting posts didn't actually remove them permanently, just stuck them in a recycle bin of sorts.  Either way, they become invisible to members.

Both of these changes are to discourage extensive editing/deleting of posts which turns entire threads into swiss cheese.  Sometimes the threads don't make any sense anymore because it looks like people are responding to posts that don't exist.

If anyone has any issues with this, this is the place to talk about it.

• Like 5

The ability to hide one's posts may still leave us with responses to unseen posts unless we continue to use the quote function.  Even if you limited the hiding up until the time someone responded to it, I don't know that that would be a good thing either since some people "follow" the forums without actually coming to this site. Wouldn't they still get that post even after it was hidden?

I learned an important lesson in my early 20s about the internet: don't publish anything that you don't want to stay "out there" forever.  It used to be that if you googled my name, the first result was from a site called PoopReport.com where there was a heated discussion over the proper way to hang a roll of toilet paper, whether the paper goes over the front, or down the back.

It's not a serious thing, but it's still retarded, and I preferred not having it as the top search result for my name.  I contacted the admin of the site years later, and he thankfully removed it.  I'm sure you can still find it using one of those website caching sites like the wayback machine or whatever.

I feel terrible for kids growing up through middle school and high school with social networking.  They don't have brains enough to think about what they post.  They're all out there posting cringe-worthy selfies and verbal diarrhea for the world (and potentially their future employers / business associates) to see.

Think before you speak, as my mom would say.

The ability to hide one's posts may still leave us with responses to unseen posts unless we continue to use the quote function.  Even if you limited the hiding up until the time someone responded to it, I don't know that that would be a good thing either since some people "follow" the forums without actually coming to this site. Wouldn't they still get that post even after it was hidden?

There's no real way to know when a post has been responded to.  The quote function doesn't communicate anything to the server, it simply adds the quoted text to your reply window.

Would people who follow threads/forums still get a hidden post? Depends on how they choose to receive the emails, I think.  I've never really tested it, but if they go the Daily Digest route, I'm going to assume that the site wouldn't email posts that are hidden.  If they choose to get every followed thread's posts as they come in, then yes, they would get them before they are hidden.

Edited by Eric
words

I assume that if we notice a glaring grammatical error 6 minutes after we post, we can still beg one of the moderators to fix it for us.  Usually I notice them as I hit post, but you never know.

Of course.  Same goes for permanently deleting a post or thread.  If sensitive information went up that shouldn't have, we've got no problem permanently deleting it from the site, rather than just having it hidden.  Also, I'm a chronic post editor.  I'm never happy with how I worded something the first time through, so I may remove the requirement to show the Edited By line after an edit.  

What do you folks think?

• Like 1

There's no real way to know when a post has been responded to.  The quote function doesn't communicate anything to the server, it simply adds the quoted text to your reply window.

Eric, what I'm trying to describe in my post #2 above where "hiding" may still be a source of confusion is this -

First person makes a post,

another person responds directly and immediately following and doesn't quote it because this forum has a relaxed & conversational tone,

if the first person then hides his or her post...

then the topic may become confusing, or others are unclear or unaware why a post was made or worded in a certain way because the quote function wasn't used

I learned an important lesson in my early 20s about the internet: don't publish anything that you don't want to stay "out there" forever. 

Think before you speak, as my mom would say.

:wub:   your mom.

Edited by jklcpa
grammar & punctuation

I understand a member hiding their own posts in a thread would still lead to confusion, but the threads would still be left intact from a moderator's point of view so at least they can still easily see what went on.

The only way to completely solve the issue is to not let people remove/delete/hide their posts at all. When you said "Even if you limited the hiding up until the time someone responded to it" that's not really an option anyway, since there's no way to detect when someone responds to a specific post.  Hiding/Deleting posts is either enabled or disabled.

Long story short, it's a simple question of whether members are able to remove their own posts or not.  I feel weird about removing that ability, but I guess I can't articulate why.

In considering whether posters should have the ability to hide or delete their posts, perhaps we need to discuss why this would ever be necessary if we follow Mom's rule.  If people here are willing to give their reasons why this is an important function, the decision may be easier for you.

For what it's worth, only one other of my current forums allows editing of posts, and that is only until someone responds after, and then editing is no longer available.  There have been no other forums that I've ever been involved with that allow hiding or deletion of a post once it is made.

One reason that comes to mind of why forums do not allow hiding or deleting is to avoid flouncing. You'd think it wouldn't happen on professional forums, but it does.

Edited by jklcpa
added flouncing
  • Like 3

Well if nobody provides feedback as to why it's important to be able to hide their own posts without the help of a moderator, I'll disable it and wait to see if there are complaints.

As far as editing goes, I believe the only configurable option I have available in that area is a time limit.

• Like 1

Well if nobody provides feedback as to why it's important to be able to hide their own posts without the help of a moderator, I'll disable it and wait to see if there are complaints.

As far as editing goes, I believe the only configurable option I have available in that area is a time limit.

Mom was right.  The written and spoken word can be misconstrued easily.  I have had occasions to edit a post (as in correcting)  Otherwise, if I said it; I think I have to own up to having said it.  In most cases, the post will be long gone in a couple of days.  If not, own up or have big enough shoulders to accept criticism.  IMO :scratch_head:

• Like 4

I have typed so many more posts than I have ever posted.  Sometimes, once I have it typed I decide it contributes nothing worthwhile to the discussion and does not need to be added.  The easiest way to delete is to never post.  Once posted, I don't think I have ever had any reason to go back and delete the post particularly. 

• Like 5

I learned an important lesson in my early 20s about the internet: don't publish anything that you don't want to stay "out there" forever.  It used to be that if you googled my name, the first result was from a site called PoopReport.com where there was a heated discussion over the proper way to hang a roll of toilet paper, whether the paper goes over the front, or down the back.

So what was the answer?  I believe the military requires over the top but anyone who ever owned a cat knows to hang it under the back.

So what was the answer?  I believe the military requires over the top but anyone who ever owned a cat knows to hang it under the back.

Edited by michaelmars
  • Like 1

I have typed so many more posts than I have ever posted.  Sometimes, once I have it typed I decide it contributes nothing worthwhile to the discussion and does not need to be added.  The easiest way to delete is to never post.  Once posted, I don't think I have ever had any reason to go back and delete the post particularly. 

I leave some content unposted as well.   One nice feature on this forum that I use regularly is to restore unposted content via the auto save function.  Very handy.

I am on at least one board that allows editing for 15 minutes.

I've hit Post and then noticed I forgot "not" or something else that entirely changes what I meant.

I'm not sure I've ever deleted, but I do remember other posters pointing out that I gave too much identifying info and should edit or delete.  I have asked a moderator to delete for me someplace, sometime.

The mod's do a great job when asked. The time limit means we need to re-read a few minutes out instead of next time in AND then realizing we made a grammer or word error that changed what we meant (but missed initially). However, with some work, we can fix that and if we do miss, given our mods's --- again they have always been happy to help.

Is it possible to have an expanded time on the "subject" line.  Again the mod's changed mine different times when I realized I could be more specific or such --- BUT --- a few minutes of "edit time availability" on the subject line might help too.

Since, we are asking FORMAT questions --- is there a way one might "drop in" a poll question once the subject posts are being discussed/  An example, since Eric mentioned "toilet-paper rotation --- is there a way I might have been able to put a "POLL" in this comment? (asking of course -- are you an over front or down the back).

Inquiring minds and those "crazy" (like me) want to know.

Easytax, try clicking "more reply options" and look to the right side of the page.  Do you see a place to add a poll there?  I can see it and add a poll, but not sure if everyone else can see that.

Someone could always start a new topic, in the private section of course, to ensure that that topic isn't the first item that appears in a google search associated with our names. ;)

*cough*  Eric *cough*

I think sum members are worring two much abuot typeos and gramor while posting to this bored.   The mane thing is to xpress your thouhts.  If yore concerned, try draffting on WORD, then copi and paste four your postin

Glad you checked everything before you posted.