ATX Community

The prodigal son has returned - sorta

rfassett

As a reminder, I turned tail and ran after the ATX 2012 fiasco, which in a large way contributed to my now walking around with a piece of titanium in my chest that goes thump thump thump.  I used ProSystem fx Access (another CCH product) last year and although it is billed as a "cadillac" package, I was not all that impressed.  So after some thorough analysis and study of the 2013 and early 2014 ATX package, I have decided to return for another go.  So far I like what I see.

It is going to be a very long season though, I feel.  And gratefully, with anticipated limited software issues.

Anyway, it is good to be back.

I was back to the Doc for my pacemaker checkup yesterday and he was surprised that my battery life is down to 3.5 years (having been initially implanted just 15 months ago).  So he reduced my heart rate (I am 100% dependent on my pacemaker) by 5 beats per minute and a very unexpected consequence of that move is that I can not get warm today.  I guess this too shall pass.

I look forward to working through this season with you folks.

Have a Great Weekend!  We will be here part of the day tomorrow working on payroll reports and take Sunday off.  We will work on payroll reports and 1099's until the end of the month by which time I expect you all to have ALL of the bugs worked out of the software. :)

Later

Ron

• Like 5

Won't be long before they can add wireless charging to those things like they have in many cell phones.  I imagine things like brain implants and pacemakers are too deep in the body for the exact same technology to work.

Actually, I have not heard much about the wireless charging but the tech doing my pacemaker interrogation last week said that the technology for the interrogation (where he checks the leads, the pacemaker and makes any necessary adjustments) is Wi-Fi technology.

My pacemaker is in a pocket just below my collar bone and it is very visible. Apparently when it comes time for a battery change (which is the changing of the whole pacemaker) they just open the previous incision and pull the old pacemaker out, unplug it, plug the new one in, stick it in the pouch and stitch up the incision.

Funny story about my implantation. It was an ordeal that had me flat on my back for over 15 hours but that is a story for another day. This story has to do with when I got home. Rebecca (my wife) right after we got in the house and were standing at the dining room table says, "let me show you what I got at the gift shop while I was waiting for you". She pulls this long box out of a bag and opens it up and pulls out this long magnetic address bar to put in the front yard. I think I must have JUMPED fifteen feet backwards. Magnets are not a friend to pacemakers. The size of that magnet could have stopped my pacemaker. I still wonder about her motive. :)

• Like 3

...I think I must have JUMPED fifteen feet backwards. Magnets are not a friend to pacemakers. The size of that magnet could have stopped my pacemaker. I still wonder about her motive. :)

Well I guess would explain the whole microwave oven thing that I've never really understood or looked into.  That may be another reason wireless/induction charging hasn't been done with pacemakers yet--it uses a magnetic field to generate voltage in the device.