ATX Community

NT not tax-Just venting and feeling sorry for myself

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I am so tired of needing to stay home and work my rear off until at least May every year. I did take 3 days off in February two years ago and paid dearly for it. My son is going to San Juan, Puerto Rico tomorrow and I could have gone with him with his non-rev benefits. This is happening more and more often and it's really getting me down. Now that I can finally get on a plane and not be terrified, I have to stay here and be terrified of tax season. Now I know why so many of my friends have gotten out of this business and gotten office jobs. That's not much of an option for me at my age and my husband's health is an issue. 

I made the mistake of taking an hour and went to the store Friday and ran into a client that was amazed that I was out of my house. I almost cried. 

Thanks for listening to my whining. I don't have any local friends that are in the business anymore.

• Like 2

I think we have all felt your frustrations!  Here is an idea...

Implement a large fee increase across the board.  This will cause some clients to go elsewhere.  You will have lower client load, but the same or higher income.  If you were closer, I would be negotiating to purchase your practice.  However, being in Ohio makes that impossible.

Hang in there and know that you have a group here that will support you, no matter what decision you make.

• Like 7

NECPA - I get it.  You are being hammered from a number of different directions.  And your husband's health is not the least of those.  You know that he and I are somewhat alike - but his issues are more serious than mine.  I cannot image the stress that puts on you.  After last tax season, I told my wife that I honestly did not think I had another tax season in me,.  I did not say that to put more stress on her, but to vent like you are doing now.  Well, here we are on the cusp of another season.  My feelings are the same as when I voiced that comment, but I will not burden her with that stress again.  That was not fair.  If your husband has not yet checked out www.pacemakerclub.com he should.

As to meeting clients in the store, a few years back I went to a high school play that my son was in and ran into a client whose information was setting on my desk.  The husband questionrd why I was not at work. Fortunately, before I could raise my fist to punch him in the face, his wife takes him by the arm and says, "leave him alone, he needs time off too."  Well, in retrospect I realize the guy was just making conversation but I took it personal.  We all need to guard against taking it personal.

Now here comes my most potent advice I can give - BREATHE!  That's right, take a deep breath.  OK - do it again.  And again.  Are you feeling better yet?  Sometimes we forget to breathe.

• Like 8

NECPA:

I feel your frustration.

Jack suggest raising fees. Always an excellent suggestion.

As for the client at the supermarket?  I just tell them "I decided a long time ago that I will run my business, but my business will not run me."  And smile.  And if I am at the school play or other social event?  If *I* don't get away, then I am not a happy camper.

Rich

• Like 6

Turn it around in your mind and view it as something positive.  You get to work from home.  You get to help others.  You should get a feeling of accomplishment.  You are bringing in revenue. You get time off after the April deadline. 

Even at my age, if I didn't really WANT to do it, I wouldn't do it.  We all have to do something and we all face challenges both in our public and personal lives.  I think in the beginning of the year we all feel a little trapped and despondent.  Once the action starts, it gets better.  My dad was a life-long auto mechanic.  He always said he hated it.  However, even after retirement, he continued to practice his skills well into his 70's.  To a certain extent we control our own destinies.  Something made us want to be tax preparers at some point.  Try to find that "something" again and nurture it.  I just talked to a Nurse yesterday who said she knew absolutely nothing about taxes.  Well, there it is in a nutshell:  I know absolutely nothing about being a nurse. 

NECPA, and all others on this board.  I wish you the most trouble free and successful tax season that you can possibly have.  As we have in other years, we will lean on each other and we WILL get through this and all be better preparers for it. :)

• Like 6

Only other tax people understand our stories.  Vent all you want.

OK, here's mine:  Hired an electrician friend first of December to do a "little job" in my office.  You remember December?  It's dead in my office in December.  He showed up Saturday.  As in two days ago.  That Saturday.  I packed up and went home.  Come in this morning and not only is his stuff still here but apparently so is the stuff of half the electricians in this town.  Oh, he's not here, but that stuff sure is.  And every single person coming in needs to talk about it, you know.  Every.  Single.  One.

• Like 5

All great advice so far.  I'll add that you should also consider finding some way for clients to drop of documents without having to see you. The drop box I installed has cut down on some appointments, and it's convenient for those locals to return the e-file signature forms. It's definitely freed up time that I've been able to work on returns more efficiently during the day without those pesky interruptions.

My vent is about that very same drop box and the one business client that is supremely annoying with it. I've been getting her papers around the same time each month for the last 16 years, and she calls to announce the impending delivery even though I can see the driveway from my desk and the dogs bark when they hear the car pull in. She puts a red flag up, and then about an hour later she calls to make sure I retrieved the papers.  If I don't answer or call back, she might drive back later to see if the flag is up because she's only a couple of doors down from me.  If flag is still up she calls again later.  I've told her every. single. time. that I check that box twice a day and all of this is NOT necessary and to NOT put the flag up.  I am ready to rip that stupid red flag off the box!  What did I do with it instead?  I've left it in the "up" position all month to aggravate her so that she'd tell me I had papers to retrieve and ask why I hadn't gotten them yet.  I told her the box was empty, and when she asked why I'd left the flag up, I simply smiled and said "because I wanted to."   Best part of all, this is my sister-in-law that complains about everything, just everything, and there was total silence.  Not a peep, and all of this nonsense has stopped for now... until her next major area of dissatisfaction. 

• Like 5

Thanks everyone. I do feel better and even laughed. Ron, thank you for your insight. I have tried to get my husband to check out groups online or even locally, but I am the one that follows the ICD and heart failure groups. There are good groups for caregivers, but they don't know taxes and I desperately need to talk to you guys more. Thanks again. I'm going to go hit the treadmill for a bit, since I'm trying to use that instead of candy for a boost. It takes longer to make me feel good, but at least I've lost weight.

• Like 5

My vent is about that very same drop box and the one business client that is supremely annoying with it. I've been getting her papers around the same time each month for the last 16 years, and she calls to announce the impending delivery even though I can see the driveway from my desk and the dogs bark when they hear the car pull in. She puts a red flag up, and then about an hour later she calls to make sure I retrieved the papers.  If I don't answer or call back, she might drive back later to see if the flag is up because she's only a couple of doors down from me.  If flag is still up she calls again later.  I've told her every. single. time. that I check that box twice a day and all of this is NOT necessary and to NOT put the flag up.  I am ready to rip that stupid red flag off the box!  What did I do with it instead?  I've left it in the "up" position all month to aggravate her so that she'd tell me I had papers to retrieve and ask why I hadn't gotten them yet.  I told her the box was empty, and when she asked why I'd left the flag up, I simply smiled and said "because I wanted to."   Best part of all, this is my sister-in-law that complains about everything, just everything, and there was total silence.  Not a peep, and all of this nonsense has stopped for now... until her next major area of dissatisfaction. 

Too, too funny!!!!!!  I was gone for two days (TWO DAYS).  Came home to a crammed drop box.  I don't know how some of that stuff got through the slot.  I might not even have checked it except that one client was going out of town and called and told me he would be dropping some of his papers off.  The punch line is:  My red flag wasn't put up by anyone.  :dunno:

• Like 3

Funnier yet was my other SIL's first time using the box. She could not figure out that the front's top portion is a hinged door because it looked like all one piece that included that bottom locked part. She's very intelligent but without too much common sense, and she decided that there MUST be a slot somewhere on the back. So where did she put her envelope of documents?   She stood in my flower bed and found a small 1/2" gap between the bottom of the box and its mounting plate for the post!!!!  We both laughed when I showed her the little hinged door on her next visit.   I never envisioned having to instruct smart adults on how to use a mailbox!  :lol:

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about your frustrations....and glad to know you're laughing about it today.

I used to "never leave home" during "the season".

Then I remembered....I'm not in prison.

About the supermarket thing...probably the person was joking?  You are allowed to breathe.

Another option...plan a trip for April 16th...it will be like the prize at the end of the game.

• Like 4

All great advice so far.  I'll add that you should also consider finding some way for clients to drop of documents without having to see you. The drop box I installed has cut down on some appointments, and it's convenient for those locals to return the e-file signature forms. It's definitely freed up time that I've been able to work on returns more efficiently during the day without those pesky interruptions.

I laughed and laughed at this post and I hope NECPA did too.

SIL seems to me to be unhappy with her own life and finds great solace in trying to control others' lives in lieu of her own unhappiness.

I love the flag up.

Have you thought of telling all the other clients to put the flag down when they drop something off?

That might further confuse SIL.....

• Like 6

I am so tired of needing to stay home and work my rear off until at least May every year. I did take 3 days off in February two years ago and paid dearly for it. My son is going to San Juan, Puerto Rico tomorrow and I could have gone with him with his non-rev benefits. This is happening more and more often and it's really getting me down. Now that I can finally get on a plane and not be terrified, I have to stay here and be terrified of tax season. Now I know why so many of my friends have gotten out of this business and gotten office jobs. That's not much of an option for me at my age and my husband's health is an issue. 

I made the mistake of taking an hour and went to the store Friday and ran into a client that was amazed that I was out of my house. I almost cried. 

Thanks for listening to my whining. I don't have any local friends that are in the business anymore.

NECPA you have to make time for yourself. From time to time we all need to recharge those batteries. You might want to consider getting yourself a helper. I have a couple of them and it really frees me up to do other tasks.

• Like 2

Only one solution to the stress -

E-X-T-E-N-S-I-O-N-S

Lots of them.

No giving in to the clients' demands and whining.

If you let them, they will completely burn you out without giving it a second thought.

Many of them think we derive meaning & purpose in our lives by being martyrs.

Unfortunately, sometimes they  are right.

I must say, if someone asked me why I'm not at work on a given day or evening, I'd simply respond with "Why aren't you?"

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 3

I'm so glad that I posted last night. I got a lot of good ideas and chuckles. I don't feel like such a dipstick today. I do have a drop box that has helped a lot. It is a locking mailbox that is bolted to the house. I am going to try to train my hubby to put returns together and maybe do a few other things. Our city laws don't allow home offices with outside employees. It was really easier for him to put them together when everything was mailed. They were all pretty much alike.

• Like 4