ATX Community

Tangible Property/Repair Regs Resources

Lee B

How did you complete the schedules?  Did you show each year or use an abbreviated approach?  Reconciling all this crap is like being a junior accountant again playing with these depreciation schedule tie ins.

I FINALLY finished my client's review financial and returns. He is coming at 8pm tonight. I may not get dinner until very late.  I'm so glad for e-filing of the federal. The state gets a copy of the entire federal with all attachments and it is so thick that I had to staple it in 3 separate parts for even my heavy duty stapler for extra thick packages to handle it. Then I put in more staples to hook the 3 parts together.  I have spent WAY TO MUCH TIME on this because of the 3115 issue. This is ridiculous!

I actually haven't done it yet  My head is spinning.   Ridiculous is a UNDER STATEMENT

Excel worksheet is free; booklet is $20 but worth it:

http://brasstax.com/3115%20Booklet.htm

Lisa Ihm is a great speaker if you have the opportunity to hear her live or even take a home study course.

Excel worksheet is free; booklet is $20 but worth it:

http://brasstax.com/3115%20Booklet.htm

Lisa Ihm is a great speaker if you have the opportunity to hear her live or even take a home study course.

How long after your purchased it, did the password show up so you could down load it?  I purchased over an hour ago and still no password.

Spidell News

AICPA provides hope for practitioners struggling with Form 3115
February 11, 2015

In a News Update, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) announced that the "IRS and Treasury are considering our recommendations to provide relief from the reporting requirements related to the repair regulations. We are hopeful they will release some form of relief for small businesses in the next couple of weeks." (www.aicpa.org/publications/newsletters/aicpanewsupdate/pages/20100210-specialnewsupdate.aspx)

The relief the AICPA has requested includes:

• Make Form 3115 and the IRC §481 adjustment optional;
  •  
  • Make the rules prospective;
  •  
  • Accept a statement in lieu of Form 3115 to acknowledge compliance with the regulations; and
  •  
  • Raise the de minimis safe harbor from $500 to $2,500.

The AICPA advises that practitioners may consider the option of temporarily suspending all related work in hopes of IRS relief.

Spidell was unable to get any confirmation of this information, but we will keep you posted as news develops on this issue

• Like 2

Spidell News

AICPA provides hope for practitioners struggling with Form 3115
February 11, 2015

In a News Update, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) announced that the "IRS and Treasury are considering our recommendations to provide relief from the reporting requirements related to the repair regulations. We are hopeful they will release some form of relief for small businesses in the next couple of weeks." (www.aicpa.org/publications/newsletters/aicpanewsupdate/pages/20100210-specialnewsupdate.aspx)

The relief the AICPA has requested includes:

• Make Form 3115 and the IRC §481 adjustment optional;
  •  
  • Make the rules prospective;
  •  
  • Accept a statement in lieu of Form 3115 to acknowledge compliance with the regulations; and
  •  
  • Raise the de minimis safe harbor from $500 to $2,500.

The AICPA advises that practitioners may consider the option of temporarily suspending all related work in hopes of IRS relief.

Spidell was unable to get any confirmation of this information, but we will keep you posted as news develops on this issue

Thank you for sharing this I have hope now that I will survive this tax season

• Like 1

I checked my junk folder and not there.  I know my card was charged, so I went ahead a e-mailed.  I hope I get it soon.  I have a return do out tomorrow, and I feel like I know absolutely nothing about this for or election, but want to make sure and do it right.

It is hidden in the second purchase confirmation.  I had to read the emails three times before I found it.  Look again!

• Like 1

One of my colleagues from Florida, an NAEA director, received this email from the IRS commissioner a couple of minutes ago

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Thank you for your message.

I thought you might be interested in the following press statement which we just released.

Best wishes.

John Koskinen

Media Relations Office Washington, D.C. Media Contact: 202.317.4000

www.irs.gov/newsroom

Public Contact: 800.829.1040
IRS Makes it Easier for Small Businesses to Apply Repair Regulations to 2014 and Future Years
IR-2015-29, Feb. 13, 2015

WASHINGTON —The Internal Revenue Service today made it easier for small business owners to comply with the final tangible property regulations.

Requested by many small businesses and tax professionals, the simplified procedure is available beginning with the 2014 return taxpayers are filling out this tax season. The new procedure allows small businesses to change a method of accounting under the final tangible property regulations on a prospective basis for the first taxable year beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2014.

Also, the IRS is waiving the requirement to complete and file a Form 3115 for small business taxpayers that choose to use this simplified procedure for 2014.

“We are pleased to be able to offer this relief to small business owners and their tax preparers in time for them to take advantage of it on their 2014 return,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. “We carefully reviewed the comments we received and especially appreciate the valuable feedback provided by the professional tax community on this issue.”

The new simplified procedure is generally available to small businesses, including sole proprietors, with assets totaling less than $10 million or average annual gross receipts totaling $10 million or less. Details are in Revenue Procedure 2015-20, posted today on IRS.gov.

The revenue procedure also requests comment on whether the $500 safe-harbor threshold should be raised for businesses that choose to deduct, rather than capitalize, certain capital expenses.

• Like 5

Issue Number:    IR-2015-29 Inside This Issue

IRS Makes it Easier for Small Businesses to Apply Repair Regulations to 2014 and Future Years

WASHINGTON —The Internal Revenue Service today made it easier for small business owners to comply with the final tangible property regulations.

Requested by many small businesses and tax professionals, the simplified procedure is available beginning with the 2014 return taxpayers are filling out this tax season. The new procedure allows small businesses to change a method of accounting under the final tangible property regulations on a prospective basis for the first taxable year beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2014.

Also, the IRS is waiving the requirement to complete and file a Form 3115 for small business taxpayers that choose to use this simplified procedure for 2014.

“We are pleased to be able to offer this relief to small business owners and their tax preparers in time for them to take advantage of it on their 2014 return,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. “We carefully reviewed the comments we received and especially appreciate the valuable feedback provided by the professional tax community on this issue.”

The new simplified procedure is generally available to small businesses, including sole proprietors, with assets totaling less than $10 million or average annual gross receipts totaling $10 million or less. Details are in Revenue Procedure 2015-20, posted today on IRS.gov.

The revenue procedure also requests comment on whether the $500 safe-harbor threshold should be raised for businesses that choose to deduct, rather than capitalize, certain capital expenses.  

• Like 1