ATX Community

28 days left in tax season

rfassett

So how are we doing?

I started out this season behind and nothing I have done has changed that.  After yesterday with 15 coming in the door, as of this morning I had 145 returns in house to do.  I figure I am busy right through the end of March.  By the end of next week, we will not even be talking about completing the ones that come in from that day on.  I am going to have more extensions this year than I have ever had. OR - I could get my rear end in gear and pull some back to back to back all nighters - but that just does not sound as fun as it used to.

• Like 3

I'm more behind than ever.  Will get the corps done by Monday, I think, and one partnership that's been in the stack forever and a trust project that's months old.  Then I hope to pick up speed on personal returns.  But, I have a couple on extension already and will require extensions by this weekend.

• Like 2

So how are we doing?

After yesterday with 15 coming in the door, as of this morning I had 145 returns in house to do.

I feel overwhelmed cause I have 25 in the stack. But, I'm ok, the frantic people are gone. Thank God. It's "Ok, whenever" people now. I'll get about 50 extensions I think.

• Like 1

I'm all up to date but:

1. I only do personal returns

2. I am not accepting new clients with "issues" (mostly international things..I tell them I'm phasing out of that area)

3. Absolutely dropping all pitas (and boy, does that feel good)

4. Outsourcing decent clients but who have become complex due to "high income, lots of real estate, AMT etc....in general, returns that would take up too much time and energy.  I tell them that their needs would be better served with someone who had more resources, since I work alone.

• Like 5

Just wondering: Who here works year round? I will spend all day today doing a big payroll, figuring payroll tax deposits, submitting sales and business taxes for people. And the monthly bookkeeping part feels like pushing a rock up a hill during tax season. I just wanna do tax returns.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 1

Well, I suppose you already know that I do. All of that other "stuff" keeps those animals fed the rest of the year. My "off-season" is shaping up to be as busy, at least in the near term" as tax season is being. I am hiring someone in May to take some of the burden off of me because I am planning on working no more than 3 days per week this summer - and if I can work it out, no more than four during tax seasons from here on out.

• Like 3

I work all year.  Some due to extensions.  Bookkeeping for two business clients, including certain days at their sites for face-to-face consulting.  Used to be slow after 15 October, but no longer.  I take a lot of classes then and the two bookkeeping clients continue all year and more and more really, really late clients.  In fact, almost any prior year returns get postponed to after 15 October.  I can earn more working all year.  I don't do payroll except for one artist client that I have set-up online via People's United Bank who does all the work; I just enter it every two weeks and download her paperwork into a binder for her.  And, I go to the bookkeeping clients' sites much less during this busy season.  I miss that slow season, though, after 15 October that's filled up too much now.

• Like 3

Well, I suppose you already know that I do. All of that other "stuff" keeps those animals fed the rest of the year. My "off-season" is shaping up to be as busy, at least in the near term" as tax season is being. I am hiring someone in May to take some of the burden off me...

OMG, I thought you worked with other people and/or employees. You have 145 in the pile and you're the one chit-chatting, answering the phone, doing the dishes, doing the monthly bookkeeping, cleaning the toilet, running the copies, eating the Cadbury mini eggs, buying yourself the flowers? I feel like such a failure right now. OMG.

• Like 5

Just wondering: Who here works year round? I will spend all day today doing a big payroll, figuring payroll tax deposits, submitting sales and business taxes for people. And the monthly bookkeeping part feels like pushing a rock up a hill during tax season. I just wanna do tax returns.

I work year 'round.  Hired help (2x/week) in Sept and am grooming him to take over in 7-10 years.  I am just *tired* of working 60 hours/week with one week off every summer.  Bookkeeping, payroll (full for one client, tax forms for two others, one nanny payroll, now my own too), taxes, a tiny bit of representation work here and there.  Yes, Lion is right - used to be slow after 10/15 (and in August, too) but not for the last half-dozen years.

• Like 5

OMG, I thought you worked with other people and/or employees. You have 145 in the pile and you're the one chit-chatting, answering the phone, doing the dishes, doing the monthly bookkeeping, cleaning the toilet, running the copies, eating the Cadbury mini eggs, buying yourself the flowers? I feel like such a failure right now. OMG.

OK - I do not do any of that. I do have a data entry person/secretary that has been with me for quite a few years. And my wife is the office manager. Between the two of them they answer 90% of the calls and well over 99% of the tax return in-take and check out. All of that work, the payrolls, sales tax reports, quarterlies, monthly financials, tax returns, etc, all get done by the three of us. So yes, I prepare all of the tax returns, review all of the payrolls, sales tax reports, payroll tax deposits, payroll tax reports and take the monthly write up from data entry state to published financials. So I stay busy. You are anything BUT a failure. We all do what works for us. This has worked for me for quite some time. But this year is the first in many, many, many tax seasons that I have had more than 4 1/2 hours of sleep per night and that is because I purposed, after all of the encouraging from JohnH and others, to work no more than 75 to 80 hours per week this season, instead of the 100 to 105 to which I had become accustomed. I feel more refreshed and have more energy, but the pile keeps getting bigger. But that will soon turn around and the numbers will start flowing the other way. FYI, the 145 number was 149 this morning. So the tide has not shifted yet, but it will within the next two weeks.

• Like 3

Oh, thank God, and I forgot vacuuming and wasting time on here. Thank God.

You keep on conveniently leaving out the things that I DO do - mow the five acres, shovel the walk, wash the windows (my office building has 30 windows (all over sized double hung) - thus, why I have my window open even now) and various other things that need done. And of course, I was just kidding, I do all those other things you mentioned. We all pitch in and do what needs to be done. None of us are above helping. The vacuuming usually falls on my shoulders, though, because there is such a big area to vacuum. And I would NEVER consider time on here as a waste of time. I always feel so much more enlightened than before I stopped by. :)

• Like 6

I don't want to think about the number of returns remaining, although I do feel like I accomplished a lot in the last couple of days.

I filed my returns today too!  Yay, come on big money!  *claps hands and dances like a silly Wheel of Fortune contestant*   Just kidding.

What is this vacuum thing you all speak of? :P

• Like 4

What is this vacuum thing you all speak of? :P

It's that thing with a hose that lives in the dark, dark corner of the closet and never comes out during tax season.  Also, my husband is doing laundry tonight while I work (and dally on this board).

• Like 4

I'm about to do laundry and take a shower. Yeah, it's 3am. Then I'll do some more returns.

I mowed twice this season so far. One of my clients is going to give me a reel mower when they come to pick up; at least that ways I can keep the front yard tidy. The areas I did mow are about 8 inches tall again.

Vacuum? I do have to sweep my hallway; can't have clients see all the cat hair. Why does shedding season coincide with tax season?

• Like 5

Here it's tracking in the salt pellets and slush.  (And, hubby insists on wearing his outside shoes in the house.)  Don't have to worry about mowing yet.  But, chipping through the ice to clear the walkway and steps has gotten very old.  Even with the warmer weather, the melting from the day refreezes overnight.  Just took the dustbuster to lots of paper dust/fragments.  And, have been trying to get a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer for days.  Shower this afternoon before a church dinner.

• Like 1

I kinda work year round, but only because I have a few late, late extenders (including me.)  I dumped all corps, partnerships, payroll, etc 3 or 4 years ago and boy does it make life easier.  No more deadlines except for April & Oct 15.  Then after April, I can pretty darn well do them when I darn well feel like it.  The rest of the time I have a life.

• Like 3