ATX Community

Holy cow, everything is different.

Eric

This is a major version upgrade, everything looks different.  Don't freak out!  This is the second major upgrade we've had since the ATX Community went online.

First, before anyone brings it up, of course I noticed that everyone's profile pictures are broken.  I've fixed a whole pile of issues over the past couple days, but this one is mostly cosmetic.  I'll take care of it as soon as I figure out the best way to go about fixing the issue.

A couple notes:

• There used to be a username and a Display Name for each account.  The username was used to log in, and the Display Name was shown next to your posts.  Username has been removed in this new version of the forum software, and you will need to log in with your Display Name or email address along with your password. I have a feeling this is going to cause a lot of confusion at first.  The forgot password feature should get you sorted out, but if you're still having issues, you can email me directly: [email protected]  
  • In the new forum software, the Friends feature has been replaced with a Following feature.  Members can no longer add other members as friends. However members can follow other members and receive notifications when the members they are following post.

I can't even begin to highlight all of the changes, but I have no doubt that there are other little bugs that I haven't squashed yet, so feel free to send me an email (see above) or PM if you run into problems.

Edited by Eric
  • Like 3

Thanks, Eric, for once again doing so much for this community. As Yardley mentioned the first glance doesn't seem too drastic.  Two things I did notice: there is a lot of extra space at the top with the placement and size of titles.  I would personally prefer to see a longer list of the topics below and less blank space at the top.  Then I noticed the absence of the MyAtx link.  I would occasionally use that convenience.  Is it gone for good?

It was a amazing how much I missed seeing this site most of today.  Guess it is very integrated into my daily life.  Thanks again, Eric, for making it all possible!

• Like 8

The MyATX link is on my list of things to add.  We're kind of starting from scratch with the new version, so there are some things that will have to be re-done.

As for the white space, I thought you might mention it.  I wish there were some easy solution, but the design isn't my doing, it's just how the software looks now.  More white space, larger text, larger buttons... that seems to be the the trend these days.  As it becomes more important to support mobile devices, you see websites optimize for big fingers on little screens.

• Like 4

Eric, will you be working on the notification settings? There are a couple of things I've noticed there:

• The ability to change the setting for receiving a notification here or receiving email notifications when PMs are received is disabled. I like to receive a copy directly to my email.
  • The ability to change the setting for receiving a notification via email when a member reports something is also disabled.  Many times I've seen the email before I've been planning to be back on, but having the ability to receive those via email, the reports might get handled more quickly.

I see that everyone's email is visible. Are you able to give members the option to hide that, or must it remain like this?

• Like 1

Eric...my 2 cents, for what its worth:

• The color scheme seems to blend together and, at least for me, it slightly more difficult to distinguish between posters comments.  Is there a way to frame the responses to help better distinguish them?  Right now there is row of white in-between each post but it seems to blend with the other colors and does not offer an overly noticeable distinction.  The color of the box that contains the users information in posts is basically the same color as the right and left boarders on the page. Is it possible to make that box slightly darker?  I think that would be a big help.
  •  Do we need to reload our profile picture?

Thanks again for taking the time to upgrade our community!

• Like 1

Eric, will you be working on the notification settings? There are a couple of things I've noticed there:

• The ability to change the setting for receiving a notification here or receiving email notifications when PMs are received is disabled. I like to receive a copy directly to my email.
  • The ability to change the setting for receiving a notification via email when a member reports something is also disabled.  Many times I've seen the email before I've been planning to be back on, but having the ability to receive those via email, the reports might get handled more quickly.

I see that everyone's email is visible. Are you able to give members the option to hide that, or must it remain like this?

​Notification settings: http://www.atxcommunity.com/notifications/options/

Is that what you're looking for? I'm a little surprised that your settings aren't the same as they were before.

Oh, I see what you mean about the notifications.  I'll take a look.

About the email addresses, I didn't notice a change because I've always seen them there.  I believe moderators see them now also because logging in with an email address is an option.  Nobody else sees them.

• The color scheme seems to blend together and, at least for me, it slightly more difficult to distinguish between posters comments.  Is there a way to frame the responses to help better distinguish them?  Right now there is row of white in-between each post but it seems to blend with the other colors and does not offer an overly noticeable distinction.  The color of the box that contains the users information in posts is basically the same color as the right and left boarders on the page. Is it possible to make that box slightly darker?  I think that would be a big help.
  •  Do we need to reload our profile picture?

Thanks again for taking the time to upgrade our community!

​I'll see what I can do to increase the contrast of the color scheme.

You don't need to reload your profile picture.  I find all of the broken images to be extremely distracting, but I'm going to find a way to fix all of them for everyone all at once.  I've had to fix a few things that went wrong with the conversion process already, but I felt like this was minor enough so that I could make the site go live before figuring it out. 

That said, I think you can go ahead and load your profile picture again if you want to, I just can't guarantee that you won't have to do it again once I apply the fix.

Edited by Eric
  • Like 3

Eric, I'd found that page but many are greyed out with either a selection made that can't be changed, or aren't set at all, indicate that Admin has disabled that option, and some have a lock to the left of them. There is no way for me to make selections for some or change them.

Edited by jklcpa
deleted attached file as a test

I got it, it just took me a minute.  I'm a little slow.  Check the settings again?

Thanks; there are still several that are disabled that I can't make a selection.

One is "I am added to a conversation" - the selection in the notification column is disabled

The other is "Someone 'likes' something I've posted - selections in both columns are disabled and can't be changed.

• The color scheme seems to blend together and, at least for me, it slightly more difficult to distinguish between posters comments.  Is there a way to frame the responses to help better distinguish them? 

​Refresh the page and let me know what you think.  I tried to make the changes are subtle, but hopefully enough to visually separate things a bit.

• Like 1

The contrast change is helpful to me, thanks.  And the url for My ATX is what you had before, I believe.  At least it gets to the login quickly.

Curious - why doesn't it work any longer to click on General Chat to refresh the page?  It isn't a huge deal to go to the url bar to refresh but I keep using old habits that aren't working now.

The contrast change is helpful to me, thanks.  And the url for My ATX is what you had before, I believe.  At least it gets to the login quickly.

Curious - why doesn't it work any longer to click on General Chat to refresh the page?  It isn't a huge deal to go to the url bar to refresh but I keep using old habits that aren't working now.

​I don't have a backup of the old code, so I'm not sure what the old url is.  Is this right? https://support.atxinc.com/User/Login.aspx

Sorry, I don't have an answer for the second question... I can suggest another shortcut though, F5 on your keyboard will refresh any page.

Ooh, I like the second url better as it goes directly to the login!

Thanks for the shortcut.  I used to know lots more in the 'old days' with dos but quickly forgot when the mouse appeared!  I will try the F5 and try to remember it, too!

Also, is it possible for us to reenter the signature that so many of had?  I haven't tried yet, just asking.

I've changed the MyATX link for now, and I'll wait for a little more feedback to see if it should stay that way.  I'm wondering if people have their logins "remembered" on MyATX, they my not need to go to the login page every time.

I've fixed signatures, no need to change anything on your end.

• Like 1

Thank you SO very much, Eric!

I could not believe how much I missed the forum while you had it off-line.

I do miss the "preview" of topics and the ability to jump to the first unread.  But that's just me being picky.

Jump to first unread should still be there... the little dark circle to the left of the thread should do it.  ​

Also, when you hover over the thread title, a card will pop up giving you a glimpse of the first post.  There's also a tab on that card to get a look at the latest post.  See attached screenshot.

It's getting better all the time!

But when I went to the list of other forums, there was no indication of the ones that I had not yet read. Luckily there were just a couple as shown by the most recent dates of replies but it used to be easy to just see the bolded topics.  Will that return to the others, too?

​In the Forum List, General Chat, ACA, etc, the icons on the left show whether there are threads with unread posts in them.

In the Topic List, all threads with unread posts should be bold.  See attached screenshot.

read-vs-unread.png

first-unread.png

• Like 3