ATX Community

Can we revisit the topic of file encryption?

SFA

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered recently, but we are reviewing our procedures for sending large and/or sensitive files to our clients. Currently we are using the ATX add-on feature: PortalSafe, but we have had clients who have difficulty accessing their materials. A representative recently contacted me from Citrix ShareFile, but their monthly cost is a lot more than PortalSafe.

Any suggestions please?

Just about any recent-ish version of Acrobat will password-protect files.  I buy not-the-most-recent new, never used, licensable versions from ebay (which is usually good for 2 or 3 computers; perfect for a small office).  Since it is not the "latest and greatest" it's usually less than half the cost of a new version.  Since I don't need any of the fancy high-end features, there is no sense in paying for today's latest.  But I do want a valid license.  

Citrix File Share *is* more than a bit pricey, as is their e-signature program.  CPaperless has a much less expensive (per-signature only, no monthly fee) e-signature program that I like.  They also have an add-on to Acrobat called Tic, Tie, and Calculate that I also very much like and use.  

File portal:  someone will find a problem with ANYTHING you try to use.  I have had trouble getting folks to use the "Secure Send" feature on my web site so I put the link in as part of my email signature.  More now see it, at least... 

pdf995 also has a suite of products that either run in a sponsored mode free (ads with each use) or to license cost roughly $9.95 each (one of them is $19.95) and those are a good alternative if you don't want to try to find/install Acrobat.

• Like 2

My CCH website includes FileShare which I've convinced some clients to use.  Easiest if I send their return/signature pages that way as they receive an email with a link.  But, they can initiate use also, such as wanting to upload their tax documents.

Am trying out CCH's eSign which sends a link that includes their return as well as the signature pages.  Free to license the program; about $3 to sign with authentication of identity; about $1 to sign without authentication; $0 if no signature.  More or less, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

• Like 1

Thank you. I will check out some of these suggestions. I have an employee who is very tech savvy, but sometimes, his tech talk is hard for me to wrap by head around. It helps to know what others in our industry are doing. The challenge is to find the right balance between productivity, profitability and security.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, lets be reasonable.  If we password protect it, it's probably as safe as mailing the client a paper copy is.  They can be stolen too.  

Odds are, unless your client is extremely rich or famous, the chances of their pdf being hacked are not likely.  Yes, it's possible, but it involves the hacker first getting access to the pdf file.  Not likely for ordinary folk, unless it's an inside job.  And WE should not have to feel responsible for that.  

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Please cite for me one instance of an individual's e-mail being "hacked" and the document attached being stolen.

Encryption of e-mail has the same basis in concern as man-made global warming, and Y2K.

True, but my state (MA) still holds *me* responsible should a data breach be traced to email I sent.  Heck, it holds me responsible if it comes from an email sent TO me by a client that I did not (1) delete from my system - including attachments, and (2) email the client back, separately (no "reply") telling THEM to delete the email and attachments from their system.  

First important step:  stay out of looney-tune-central MA.  Wish I could follow my own advice on that one...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

There is much confusion about "data breach" and "e-mail hacking."  Two totally different and unrelated issues.  Yet everyone treats them as the same.

I continue to use e-mail regularly.  My largest problem is clients not checking their e-mail more than once a week.

A central problem with one-size-fits-NONE regulations.  Sigh.

I use a free piece of software called Primopdf.

When you want an encrypted PDF just print your file. You change the printer for that particular job to Primopdf and instead of printing - it generates a pdf file. With the FREE software you can choose to encrypt the pdf file with whatever password you want. Very easy. It's a <7 mb program so it doesn't bog down your system. Do NOT download from CNET as they'll get you with malware if you aren't careful at the install.

I encrypt any attachment that I send out because it looks more professional and adds perceived value to whatever I'm sending them.

I also use FREE software called Advanced Scan to PDF Free to generate pdf files from things I scan. It's also a tiny program, works exceptionally quickly (far faster than anything else I've used) and does a solid job. Only wish is that it would allow custom file names but I can manually rename the pdf files on my own.

One of the really nice things Drake has is a built-in pdf printer that allows you to password-protect your files as you print them AND set the password (or use their default algorithm).  And you can call the file whatever you wish; again over-writing their default naming convention.  But I will make note of the other two that @Roberts mentions.   Always good to have options!  But I am very surprised about the cnet warning; that has historically been a source of known-good download files, not malware.

PDFill.com    $20.00 program that does so much.   Encrypt, rename, fill-in, change to multiple doc's, a lot of things I do not use and do not know but they are there.      I really like that I can give a client a password and should they forget or call me to un-lock ????? I can have then send the email PDF back and use my separate password --- instead of having to remember what I told them, theirs was.   It is a small thing but when looking back (years, etc.) I only need to have my "main" password and not their individual one (did Imention choice of 40 or 128 encryption).    Visit PDFill.com and review yourself : 

Create, Fill, Edit, Delete and Submit PDF Form Fields

Type, Draw, Comment, Sign and Scan PDF Documents

PDF Ink or PDF Annotator on Table PC

Open, View, Edit and Save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat

Good tax season and a GREAT Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Like 3

It seems there are many options to encrypt outgoing documents (tax returns).  I am looking for the way for clients to return the signed 8879 securely.  From what I can tell, that entails using a client portal so the client doesn't have to have a program installed to encrypt on their end.  Or am I missing something major (not unlikely!)?

11 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Thanks, Catherine, again!  I will look at this tomorrow more carefully.  Still recovering from second cataract surgery this morning.  This could be just what I'm looking for :)

Wishing you a quick and full recovery!  Most of the folks I have known who have had the surgery wonder, afterward, why they waited so long.  Colors are much brighter and everything is in focus once again, they say.

Thanks, Catherine.  I have noticed brighter colors in the other eye done in June.  Focus?  Well, I have worn glasses since age 6 and still have to wear them except, for the first time ever!, to drive.  My vision is the opposite of 60+ years of nearsightedness.  Still struggling to get used to wearing glasses to read in bed - that is not an improvement, in my opinion ^_^

• Like 2