ATX Community

TP dissapointed with spouse

ILLMAS

TP called me today to me know his spouse went ahead and had her tax return prepared as HOH (influenced by co-workers that have kids and are not married), he was disappointed she had them done without getting the proper advice, here is my question, by him claiming MFS, will this cause a problem for his wife?

MAS

3 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

His filing correctly will not hurt his wife.  Her filing incorrectly could hurt her.  But, we know how efficient the IRS is!

I would probably suggest he bring his wife in with him to discuss MFJ.  Or, if I didn't like her, let her continue to deal with her new preparer.

Right... That sounds much better!

I'd tell the wife to enjoy her refund now and be prepared to pay it back plus interest.  I would also be tempted to report the other preparer for filing a married person as HOH.

unless, of course, they lived apart for the last 6 months of the year and kids lived with her.  If this was the case, then clearly they are already "disappointed" with each other.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Janitor Bob said:

I'd tell the wife to enjoy her refund now and be prepared to pay it back plus interest.  I would also be tempted to report the other preparer for filing a married person as HOH.

unless, of course, they lived apart for the last 6 months of the year and kids lived with her.  If this was the case, then clearly they are already "disappointed" with each other.

UNLESS the other spouse went and said "I lived apart from my spouse since June and I upkept a home my for son/daughter ever since". What would you do as a preparer? I would follow the rules and file and HH.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pacun said:

UNLESS the other spouse went and said "I lived apart from my spouse since June and I upkept a home my for son/daughter ever since". What would you do as a preparer? I would follow the rules and file and HH.

Yep, you know it happens all the time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Catherine said:

We all knew THAT!  Or, perhaps, we all charge way too LITTLE.

We do.    Todays "accounting today" blurb gave an article that the top preparer companies (HRB, Lib, TaxAct, etc.) are racing to the bottom (you know the ad's and the zero cost to file, etc.) just to eventually "lock in" the new clients as their tax situations get more complex. In the mean time, we get to be proactive and fight this with good service, fair pricing (abet "too little" in comparison) -- but eventually we win ---- You always win -- if you do the "right" thing.

We may not get SUPER rich, but we eat and feel good about "doing the right" thing.   It is all NOT about this earth.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, easytax said:

We do.    Todays "accounting today" blurb gave an article that the top preparer companies (HRB, Lib, TaxAct, etc.) are racing to the bottom (you know the ad's and the zero cost to file, etc.) just to eventually "lock in" the new clients as their tax situations get more complex. In the mean time, we get to be proactive and fight this with good service, fair pricing (abet "too little" in comparison) -- but eventually we win ---- You always win -- if you do the "right" thing.

We may not get SUPER rich, but we eat and feel good about "doing the right" thing.   It is all NOT about this earth.

Thank you for saying that.  Sometimes you look around and see really sloppy, inept, unethical preparers making a killing, and it gets old and tired.  If nothing else, it doesn't take long to screw up a return and they can turn them over in a hurry.  And then sometimes all the advice you get is, "Charge more."  That is not the solution for me.  Of course I want to do well.  But above all I want my clients to know I am fair to them and an excellent, professional preparer.  I really do.  It means so much to me when they send friends to me.  What a nice compliment.

• Like 5

I have the same problem... I charge too little. I run my business as a hobby and that's why I don't care if people walk out. I have a full time job, so I never consider I have a business to run. The big companies make a lot of money in three months because they are running a business, maybe we need to learn from them.

Big companies make money from Clients and employees because they pay them little.

• Like 2

I didn't make my business full time as a public service.  I provide a service that is just as professional as a doctor, lawyer, plumber, electrician, auto technician or any other profession.  I charge what is a fair (not the lowest in my area by no means) rate for professional services, and my business continues to grow by word of mouth referrals by at least 10% every season.

I am running a business.

• Like 4

I bought a building last year after renting space for the first 11 years I was in practice.

Client comes in yesterday, and says: "I must have paid to much last year, look at this place..." 

I commented: "You are right, I am doubling the bill for the new building surcharge"  And then smiled. 

There is the gate.  Do not let it hit you in the butt on the way out.

And she wanted to spend 20 minutes discussing her "book" that she sold 15 copies of for a grand total of $150.  And she had $147 in expenses. 

Sheesh. 

Rich

• Like 6