ATX Community

Efile Reject: Phone number does not have enough digits. Really?

Richcpaman

59 minutes ago, Richcpaman said:

Just had a return rejected by the IRS.  "Rejected by Agency"  Invalid number.

The number listed was a telephone number in the client data setup.  We had listed 9 digits instead of ten.

WTF?

Snowden had it right.

Rich

If the form requires a phone number, the system will look for 10 digits.  Plain and simple.  If it is not 10 digits, it is not a complete phone number.

Nothing to see here.  Move along. 

I've filed several 1040's without phone numbers.  Client preference was not to include a phone number.  The E-files went through without being rejected.  With that said, I did not enter anything at all in the phone number field, so maybe entering no information at all on is acceptable.  I'll have to go back and check if those returns were for refunds versus having a direct debit of an amount due.

Entered a 1099R that came back rejected for a "nonexistent EIN".  I had entered the account number by mistake.  That number started with 86 and was the right number of digits.  

I had a hard time finding EINs on some forms this year and it never helps that the font size is so teeny weeny.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richcpaman said:

None of the above.

This isn't even the phone number on page two of the 1040.  The client data had 4 phone numbers listed.  This isn't the page two number.

Stupid reason for a reject.  If it is in your input, it GOES to the IRS.

That is not true!  Most of the input screen and worksheet data is NOT transmitted to the IRS.

If the field requires a phone number and it only has 9 digits, the rejection is revealing an input error that needs to be corrected.  Phone numbers are 10 digits.  If, in the client data screen, a phone number only has 9 digits, it is incorrect.

Nothing to see here.  Move ahead.  Input errors are common human actions. 

19 minutes ago, jasdlm said:

My efiles won't create if I don't have a phone number listed.  I could not efile without a phone number if I wanted to.  Weird that we all have different experiences.  

Is that with ATX software? Do you have an option checked so that the software requires you to include a phone number with each return.

I used to never include the phone numbers. I've started adding them this year for my own benefit so that they shows up in the software's return manager.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

That is not true!  Most of the input screen and worksheet data is NOT transmitted to the IRS.

If the field requires a phone number and it only has 9 digits, the rejection is revealing an input error that needs to be corrected.  Phone numbers are 10 digits.  If, in the client data screen, a phone number only has 9 digits, it is incorrect.

Nothing to see here.  Move ahead.  Input errors are common human actions. 

Sorry Jack.

It went thru.

It was "rejected by Agency" not "Rejected by EFC" 

And it went NOWHERE on the 1040.  Not even to page 2.