ATX Community

secure email?

Janitor Bob

What do all of you use to send secure e-mail?  I do a lot of communication with clients via e-mail including send .pdf attachments.  I want to make sure that these e-mails are secure/encrypted, but do not want to spend a small fortune to do so...with by small client base (I only have 120 clients), I can't absorb much cost.  Anybody had luck with Virtru?

Virtru tested well earlier this year when I changed to it for secure emails.  Some clients needed a bit of hand-holding but overall seemed to be easy to use and is my "secure" email for pdf doc's and sig. forms.   With Virtru the pdf does not to be encrypted (although I usually do).

My pdf encryption is done through PDFill.com and has been used for numerous years.    

I use acrobat x and it allows you to encrypt attachments, it's pretty straightforward vs using sharefile. Sometimes when I need to send a large document and my client email can't except large email I use sharefile, the only problem it's a multiple step process and need to help the client and sometimes it doesn't work when trying to use it on your cellphone.  Remember folks most people are using their smartphones to get their emails now a days.

9 hours ago, Lion EA said:

I use CCH's FileShare via my website.  But, when I send, FileShare emails my client with a link.  Easy on their part.  When a client uploads a file to me, I get an email also.

I use Acrobat Pro.  But also ShareFile (is FileShare the same?).  My question is how safe is this?  The client uses his email address as his id and then creates a password.  But can someone else intercept the notification email, click the link, enter the client's email address and create his own password?  I've been wondering about that.

I tell my clients that it's the same firm that transmits their e-filed returns, so it's as safe as I know, but even the IRS has been hacked, so I have no guarantees.  I let the client decide if they want to send &/or pick up in person or use the US mail or my portal.  For a few pages, I will fax if I know they are standing by their fax machine/computer -- if they request.  My husband makes pick ups and deliveries to clients he recognizes.  I still have clients who email their tax information.  I will answer questions via email, but not send tax information or identifying information via email.  I guess postal workers have intercepted snail mail.  My computer and telephone are hardwired, not wifi.  I'm in the boonies, but someone could break in.  They'd still have layers of passwords to get through for my computer to be of any use to them, but I do have some old paper files if they break the locks on my file cabinet.  I warn my clients and let them choose what method suits their comfort level.

• Like 2

95% of my clients (I only have about 150) handle everything in person.  However, I do have several that want me to e-mail them the 8879 so that they can print it, sign it (and have spouse sign), then they can just drop the sign 8879 in my drop-box whenever they want.  However, I want the original e-mail to them with the 8879 .pdf file to be secure in the unusual even that the e-mail is "stolen"...can that even happen?

Encrypted email can be done for free with Enigmail and Mozilla Thunderbird email software. The problem is that your email and the client's email needs to be keyed together with encryption codes. Very few people are willing to take the steps.

I encrypt all PDF files I send them. I then text them the password.

All for free.

• Like 1