ATX Community

Client Adventures

BLACK BART

Guy comes in today with an alphabet return, A-B-C-D-E (but no F) and says "I usually do my own, but this time I sold a lot and bought two rent houses.  It's just too complicated."  

BB: Whaddaya do?

He: I sell insurance. 

BB: You can read insurance policies?

He: Sure.

BB: You can do taxes.

• Like 5

I'm surprised he didn't say the return is probably very easy for you.  Yeah, do you want to wait or go out and get a cup of coffee and a bagel and come back.   This is going to cost him, especially for a new client.  Have the defibrillator ready.

• Like 5

Client of mine got married. Her new spouse sent me a 1000+ word text (I've never met him previous to this) about doing their tax return with 6 questions that culminated in wanting to argue about the tax code of MFS.

I informed him I don't do MFS returns - you need to go elsewhere. He replied with accusations and wanting to argue about it.

I'm exhausted already with this man - buh bye.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

had a new client come in last week, native of india with india income but a Canadian citizen filing in the US.  Husband an India w-2, brokerage account in Canada and she is self employed here in NY. 

She dropped off all her stuff over 2 days [2 trips] and email.  Then she started calling each of the next 3 days as to when her quarterly estimates would be ready for 4th quarter 2016.

I wished her well and told her she can pick up her papers at my reception desk 9-8 7 days a week.

• Like 7