ATX Community

Bypass the 30-minute automatic logoff

Ringers

I downloaded the free program callled MouseJiggle (56KB size on computer after installation) in December and have been using it to defeat the annoying 30 minute log-off rule that IRS has imposed on all tax software distributors.  It works great and has no adverse effects on startup time, computer stability, etc.  What it does is constantly move the mouse pointer about 1/16 inch back and forth on a 45 degree diagonal, which does not greatly affect mouse usage even if the program is left on 24/7.  Last night I left my 2016 tax program (ProSeries) open with a client loaded and left MouseJiggle open also.  This morning the tax return was still open and I had not been logged off.  I assume it will also work in all of the other tax software.

I won't be running the program 24/7, but I do intend to run it during the hours I would be working on returns and not have to worry about breaking for meals, tc and getting shut down.

• Like 6

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, jklcpa said:

Oh, I think we have lurkers from the official forum that either choose not to join or read without logging in. We also have, or had, at least one IRS agent as a member. I haven't seen any posts in a while from that person though.

I wouldn't worry too much about IRS throwing together a stop-gap measure to nix this fix.  Last year I was looking at IRS' TIGTA website and came across a comments section where people sent in suggestions to improve operations.  An IRS employee replied to one that her idea was very good, but to be patient since the average time between submission, review, acceptance, and implementation was currently two years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Thanks, Black Bark. I'm not worried and responded as I did only because someone else mentioned it.

11 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Thanks, Black Bark. I'm not worried and responded as I did only because someone else mentioned it.

Sorry, I know that and didn't mean to imply you were, but yours was the only post to reference IRS (I need to stick a smilie :D on my quick pop-offs).   

Margaret,

Ater downloading the program, click on it in the taskbar and you will see a small window open on your desktop with a checkbox option to "enable jiggle."  Click on the checkbox and you will see the cursor begin to move.  The program will stay on until you either resatart the computer or uncheck the box.

Margaret,

After you check th e"enable" box, do not close the information box--just leave it open on your desktop.  If you close the box using the "x" you will close the program.  The open box will just stay on your desktop and not be visible when other programs are opened.

On 2/3/2017 at 11:58 AM, RINGERS said:

I downloaded the free program callled MouseJiggle (56KB size on computer after installation) in December and have been using it to defeat the annoying 30 minute log-off rule that IRS has imposed on all tax software distributors.  It works great and has no adverse effects on startup time, computer stability, etc.  What it does is constantly move the mouse pointer about 1/16 inch back and forth on a 45 degree diagonal, which does not greatly affect mouse usage even if the program is left on 24/7.  Last night I left my 2016 tax program (ProSeries) open with a client loaded and left MouseJiggle open also.  This morning the tax return was still open and I had not been logged off.  I assume it will also work in all of the other tax software.

I won't be running the program 24/7, but I do intend to run it during the hours I would be working on returns and not have to worry about breaking for meals, tc and getting shut down.

What operating system are you using and what are we not doing to get the program to work?

Jack,

I am using Windows 10, but I am also using ProSeries rather than ATX.  With ProSeries Professional, I do not have a problem using MouseJiggle in the regular mode.  It works for me in both standard mode and zen mode .  Has anyone using ATX or Drake got it to work with their software?