ATX Community

Client Copies

Ryanvv126

Hello Everyone,

I was just curious on how everyone printed their electronic version of the client copy of individual tax returns. I organize mine like this:

• Cover Sheet
  • Engagement Letter
  • Federal Cover Sheet
  • Federal Client Letter
  • Form 8879
  • Federal Tax Return
  • State Cover Sheet
  • State Client Letter
  • State E-File Authorization
  • State Tax Return

The issue with the way that I print is that I have to go back into the PDF and re-arrange the state cover, letter, and e-file since they print in the front. I was interested to see if there is a way that you print it where you do not have to re-arrange the pages as this would save time.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

I use print packets to print 3 separate PDFs:

1. Client: 2017 estimate letter, record of payment and est vouchers.
  2. Preparer: Cover, letter, fed return, state return
  3. Custom: Engagement letter, 2016 Efile Auth Forms and balance due vouchers (if any)

And if there's a personal property return, I use the Filing Copy print packet to print that.

I didn't like the estimated vouchers and efile forms gumming up my tax return. I use a PDF editor to move the Comparison, Summary and Notes to the end of the federal return so I see cover sheet, letter, 1040 page 1 in the return pdf.

Form 1040
and any schedules and forms (not electronic authorization forms such as 8879)
8867 and
state forms

I don't give my SID or ERO's PIN.

Only about 2 people ask me to sign their copies and I efile everything.

When paper forms are submitted, I sign only the forms to be mailed to IRS or States, not the client's copy.

Predicting the future, I think the IRS will allow us to have one signature only for TAX forms and another to sign checks and apply for credit cards.

8 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I use print packets to print 3 separate PDFs:

1. Client: 2017 estimate letter, record of payment and est vouchers.
  2. Preparer: Cover, letter, fed return, state return
  3. Custom: Engagement letter, 2016 Efile Auth Forms and balance due vouchers (if any)

And if there's a personal property return, I use the Filing Copy print packet to print that.

I didn't like the estimated vouchers and efile forms gumming up my tax return. I use a PDF editor to move the Comparison, Summary and Notes to the end of the federal return so I see cover sheet, letter, 1040 page 1 in the return pdf.

I do it exactly the same, except the client copy also has returns & statements, preparer copy has same plus worksheets. If there are estimates I send them in a separate PDF from the 8878 & payment vouchers

2 hours ago, joanmcq said:

I do it exactly the same, except the client copy also has returns & statements, preparer copy has same plus worksheets. If there are estimates I send them in a separate PDF from the 8878 & payment vouchers

For preparer's copy, I have a soft copy on my computer, which I access by opening ATX 2016 and click on the TP name.

• Like 1

I organize my packet as follows:

• Cover Letter - combined.
  • Tax Summary
  • Planner
  • Comparison
  • Copy of 1040 with cover sheet
  • Copy of State return
  • My invoice with a self-addressed stamped envelope to return payment to me

All of my clients drop off their info.  I prepare the return and then call them to discuss.  Send them a secure email with copies of the 8879's to sign and return to me.  Once I receive the signed 8879's, I eFile the return.  When the IRS and State accept the eFile, I prepare the packet and mail it out to them.

This has worked well for me. 

2 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

• Tax Summary
  • Planner
  • Comparison
  • Copy of State return

All of my clients drop off their info.  I prepare the return and then call them to discuss.  Send them a secure email with copies of the 8879's to sign and return to me.  Once I receive the signed 8879's, I eFile the return.  When the IRS and State accept the eFile, I prepare the packet and mail it out to them.

Is the tax summary and planner from ATX?

12 hours ago, Pacun said:

For preparer's copy, I have a soft copy on my computer, which I access by opening ATX 2016 and click on the TP name.

How can you be sure it matches what was sent to the government? I like to capture it in a PDF just to be sure. Also, much easier and faster to access and view.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

How can you be sure it matches what was sent to the government? I like to capture it in a PDF just to be sure. Also, much easier and faster to access and view.

Me too.  I'm always concerned of going back into the program and doing something that might make a change.  I use my pdf copy like the old paper copy in the file.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

• Tax Summary
  • Planner
  • Comparison
  • Copy of State return

Your clients don't see the return before it's filed? That's not kosher. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grandmabee said:

I was just going to say I also thought they had to see return before signing the 8879 and being efiled.

I email a copy of the return for their review, if I'm emailing 8879. If they're picking up their return, they look it over in the lobby or tell us to hold off transmitting until they get home to review it, but they usually sign the 8879 while they're here.

On 3/2/2017 at 7:42 AM, Yardley CPA said:

• Tax Summary
  • Planner
  • Comparison
  • Copy of State return

Do you put the State cover sheet in front of the state return or do you just use a cover sheet for the 1040?

It would be nice if ATX put the State cover sheet in the State Forms section so it will go in front of the state tax return when printing. 

• Like 2

You can print a State cover sheet but I don't.  I place the Federal cover sheet over the Federal return and then place the state return behind the Federal return in a presentation folder.  Returns are on the right side pocket of the folder.  Invoice and self addressed envelope is in front of the returns.  Client letter along with the other ATX forms and the clients back up information is in the left folder pocket.

Just going back to Ryan's original Statement:

I was just curious on how everyone printed their electronic version of the client copy of individual tax returns. I organize mine like this:

This is where after 13 years with ATX, I would like a little more flexibility over what goes where.

My electronic copy of the return is the same thing that the client gets on paper.  I just move the 8879 and state Efile forms to the bottom of each stack, but do not bother moving them in the electronic file.  Why bother.  But it would be great if you could move them before hand, but you can move across "types" in the print screen.

I do not understand why you would put the Engagement Letter at the top like that.  Not easy to move, but I would put it after all the returns.

Then I scan all the info that I feel needs to be scanned, including any pages from the organizer that they write on, and that is my file copy.  And when they ask for a copy, they get it all.

And as for using the file in ATX as your "master" copy?  When I worked for someone else, at pickup, the client wanted to know the difference in his taxes if the $10k gain that was happening the next year would look like...  So the boss put it into the "Master" file, but forgot to reverse that entry, and that is the return that got efiled.   The Client did not understand 6 weeks later why they got a notice for taxes due instead of a refund...

Rich