ATX Community

You Know It's Going to Be A Bad Day When!

Tax Prep by Deb

Good Morning!

I think! Hopefully someone can help me, or explain to me what is going on. I use a laptop as a second computer. Because I am always checking the internet for something or another I often leave it on and either let it hypernate on it's own or close the lid and let it hypernate that way.

Well something weird has happened, actually this is the second time and frankly it has me confused. When I open the lid and when it wakes up my screen is totally upside down.

The first time it happened, I stopped and restarted the computer several times, and eventually it came back correctly. That was back in January and it has never done it since, that was until this morning. Only this time I have stopped and started several times and it's still upside down.

My computer lites up normally until windows loads. It seems to be associated with that. My computer is a Dell Inspirion Laptop and I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Any body have any ideas as to what may be wrong, and what I can do to get it right side up?

Thanks in advance,

Deb!

I had exactly this same thing happen to my first ocmputer running XP.

Problem is, I can't remember much about what I did to correct it. I believe it had something to do with the "Accessibility" settings in the Control Panel. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that at some point I went to the Microsot web site and typed in "Display Upsde Down" to find the fix.

AHA! Here it is. Hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;826480

I had exactly this same thing happen to my first ocmputer running XP.

Problem is, I can't remember much about what I did to correct it. I believe it had something to do with the "Accessibility" settings in the Control Panel. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that at some point I went to the Microsot web site and typed in "Display Upsde Down" to find the fix.

AHA! Here it is. Hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;826480

Thanks for the link. I checked it out however it said it was corrected with service pak 2 and I have service pak 2 installed. But I'm going to look into it more.

Again, thanks a whole bunch!

Deb!

Thanks for the link. I checked it out however it said it was corrected with service pak 2 and I have service pak 2 installed. But I'm going to look into it more.

Again, thanks a whole bunch!

Deb!

press and hold down Alternate and control then press the up arrow key.

Pacun beat me to it... Hot key combination to flip monitor.

All of you, go to your partners computer and press and hold down Alternate and control then press the down arrow key. Become a hero by fixing it when you press and hold down Alternate and control then press the up arrow key.

I guess some one has been playing that joke on Deb since it is not the first time that happened.

All of you, go to your partners computer and press and hold down Alternate and control then press the down arrow key. Become a hero by fixing it when you press and hold down Alternate and control then press the up arrow key.

I guess some one has been playing that joke on Deb since it is not the first time that happened.

Doing this just causes my screen to scroll up and down...does not turn upside down at all.

I wish it was just a joke someone was playing on me, but I am the only one who touches this computer!

Thanks for the tip though!

Deb!

My Toshiba laptop was shutting itself down while I was working. I searched the 'net and found that Toshibas will do this if they overheat, which is a real problem with them. I sat the laptop on 2 (1 didn't work) of those baskets you use for paper plates. Hasn't shut down since. No bad days now.

My husband bought me a laptop stand with a fan at Cosco. I bought my girls laptop stands that are supposed to wick heat away from the computer. My assistant said they told her on her day job that overheating is the leading cause of laptop failure. On one of hers, the hard drive actually melted. Ever use it on your lap? If so, you know how hot it gets. One of my clients has a newish Dell with THREE fans built in; the desk underneath is barely warm to the touch.

My Toshiba laptop was shutting itself down while I was working. I searched the 'net and found that Toshibas will do this if they overheat, which is a real problem with them. I sat the laptop on 2 (1 didn't work) of those baskets you use for paper plates. Hasn't shut down since. No bad days now.

My old laptop used to get real toasty. On hot days when the AC wasn't on, I'd set the thing on top of one of those herbal cold packs (I have a couple that live in the freezer). That kept it cool for a while.