ATX Community

I just got flowers from a client!

schirallicpa

In 20 years of tax prep, I have received only one other bouquet of flowers, 2 thank you cards, 1 Christmas card, and 2 meals. Oh - and a gift cert to the greasy spoon next door from my mother-in-law who felt guilty one year.

How nice to feel appreciated!

Yes, it is nice! I have twins from Soviet Union, fantastic girls, that bring me flowers every time they pick up their returns. Just because H & R was ripping them off, and I don't. Also, I was so surprised last week when a man came in with info to do his 2005 return and a box of candy! He is (really) disabled (head injury), had stock sales and thought he didn't have to report them.

On the other hand, I got fired last week, too. Client found somebody "a little cheaper," he said. Is there any problem with the quality of work? "Oh, no," he says. What a downer! I worried about that forever.

Also, last Friday at quitting time, client came in to get copy of her 29 page tax return. (Her husband had already lost their copy of 2007 return.) What do I owe you? Oh, nothing, don't worry about it, I say. She hands me $2...

You could tell the guy that was looking for someone a little cheaper that buying quality is like buying oats.

For a reasonable price I can get you good quality oats. On the other hand, if price is your only consideration, then for a little less money you can always take a chance on getting oats that have already been through the horse.

You could tell the guy that was looking for someone a little cheaper that buying quality is like buying oats.

For a reasonable price I can get you good quality oats. On the other hand, if price is your only consideration, then for a little less money you can always take a chance on getting oats that have already been through the horse.

Well, after I worried about it, I thought: Good. There's a weekly payroll I don't have to do. I can take off once in while and not have to be a hostage to his payroll. Was $135 a month for 6-8 employees, weekly payroll, that bad? I included payroll tax returns and figuring monthly deposits in the price.

Good grief! I am happy to lose him, I have talked myself into feeling better. He can get used oats for all I care. Hope he's more regular now. Thanks, John!

In 20 years of tax prep, I have received only one other bouquet of flowers, 2 thank you cards, 1 Christmas card, and 2 meals. Oh - and a gift cert to the greasy spoon next door from my mother-in-law who felt guilty one year.

How nice to feel appreciated!

How nice!

Couple of years ago, I got a really bad cold during tax season. A couple who are clients of mine sent me a gift box from (if I recall) "Grandma's Chicken Soup". It had a huge (like, about four days for my whole family's worth) vat of really tasty chicken soup, a box of quick biscuit mix, a card, and a very silly pen shaped like a carrot that my younger girl still (about three years later) has on her desk. It was really good, and greatly appreciated.

And several clients over the years have sent me thank-you cards, too. It really does feel good to be appreciated.

Catherine

I do returns for a large extended family. Most of them are really nice people, one I'd rather do without but the new member I did returns for this year is a treasure!! Besides being nice, he's a baker and whenever any of his in-laws, brothers, sisters, mother mention they are coming to see me, he sends along breads, cakes, cookies, whatever is available. Now that really makes me feel appreciated.

AnnieR

I too, having been the recipient of several thank you cards, 'tips', boxes of candy and the sorts, agree, it feels great.

On the converse, one of my new clients sat in my office this year, and told me, when asked of his occupation, that he, "... kills people for a living, and that he could kill me in one of four ways before I ever left my chair" !! Turns out that he is an employee for BLACKWATER Security, stationed in Iraq, a former Navy SEAL and as he defines his job occupation"...a paid assassisn"!! His Schedule C write offs included Sniper School, medical attention from a brown recluse spider bite, weapons and ammunition....

This is one client I hope to never upset :rolleyes:

Howard

I too, having been the recipient of several thank you cards, 'tips', boxes of candy and the sorts, agree, it feels great.

On the converse, one of my new clients sat in my office this year, and told me, when asked of his occupation, that he, "... kills people for a living, and that he could kill me in one of four ways before I ever left my chair" !! Turns out that he is an employee for BLACKWATER Security, stationed in Iraq, a former Navy SEAL and as he defines his job occupation"...a paid assassisn"!! His Schedule C write offs included Sniper School, medical attention from a brown recluse spider bite, weapons and ammunition....

This is one client I hope to never upset :rolleyes:

Howard

Well, this is also one client who would probably _never_ kill in anger. To do that job they are trained to be absolutely cold and calm; angry or upset people make mistakes -- and that leaves the job uncompleted and the worker dead.

But there sure are some jobs I'm very glad not to have. Assassin is definitely on the list.

Catherine

Over the years I get flowers for Christmas,,,,even once during tax season. One client is amateur suclpture....Elvis bust....bunnie rabbit this year....From my clients that I would not charge for the ESP that I had done over the last 33 years.....Bundt cake....Caramel Pie...and yesterday a Crocheted Dollie.

Over the years I get flowers for Christmas,,,,even once during tax season. One client is amateur suclpture....Elvis bust....bunnie rabbit this year....From my clients that I would not charge for the ESP that I had done over the last 33 years.....Bundt cake....Caramel Pie...and yesterday a Crocheted Dollie.

lydia33, I still think that dog of yours is CUTE.

Booger

Chocolate is always nice....

My favorite is a TP who for years would send me a bunch of lottery scratch cards each year when she got her refund. Then she started doing all kinds of wonderful artwork, so now every year when she comes in she brings me fabulous creations! I have some gorgeous jewlery, watercolors, a unique mirror, and this year some beautiful wind-catchers that I can't wait to hang on the trees (after the snow melts!).