ATX Community

Dual Monitors

JohnH

Back on the old Forum, we had several discussions about various techniques to improve productivity. I learned much from those discussions, and I believe the most important lesson by far for me was the encouragement to go to dual monitors last year.

I thought it might be helpful to start a new discussion about them and to again thank everyone who influenced me to make that change. I can't imagine working at my desk without at least two monitors connected to the computer. I'm now considering adding a third monitor just for the purpose of keeping my email & internet connection in view at all times while actively working with the other two monitors. I would like to hear if anyone has any comments or suggestions about latest developments or how you use your multiple monitor setup effectively.

I have not moved to dual monitors because my computer is not that new. I am going to purchase one in December and I will install 2 monitors. Sometimes, as I answer to some post on this forum, I see the need for two monitors and I cannot imagine that I work with only one monitor. My best blessing has been efiling but now I will have to pay some money to ATX since they will only give 100 returns, I hope you (JohnH) will share this efiling feeling down the road.

I've got dual monitors at work, and at home. When I have to use a laptop, I get frustrated from having to constantly minimize/maximize windows to get around. Other than the expense of the second monitor, the hardware required to move to a dual monitor setup can be quite inexpensive. You can get a video card with two outputs for less than $50.

I, too, went to dual monitors this year and will never go back. It is absolutely wonderful and very efficient. One monitor began to fade out occasionnally so I have sent it back for repair and miss it terribly! I also have 17" screens and have made the resolution to 800 x 600 to be really easy on my old eyes. Also, the flat panel monitors are really worth the desktop real estate. Again, I'll never go back.

Yes. Only one mouse. This is the short answer to your question.

In reality you can have as many mice as you want connected to your computer, but you only one cursor.

Thanks, Pacun. So you can only move around in one screen at a time, but you'd have two or more screens visually available at the same time. Makes sense, and I can see how it would be really nice, not having to minimize and maximize screens so much.

Yes. Once you set everything up, the cursor moves seamlessly between the monitors based on how far you move your mouse. When I first saw people discussing dual monitors on the ATX forum, I thought it was more or less a geeky gimmick. But once I actually saw someone using the setup, the benefits were so obvious that I returned to my office that afternoon & set up the dual monitors.

Aside form being able to display last year's tax return and the current year's info on separate monotors, the setup has many other uses. Spreadsheets can be pulled across the width of both monitors, for example, to display almost twice as many columns. I send & receive a large number of attached files, and it's very nice to be able to look at the attachment on one screen while composing or reading the email on the other screen.

Another benefit is the simple ablity to display the desktop with one monitor and whatever you are working on with the other monitor. You find that opening another application is easier and faster because you don't need to minimize the "active" screen when switching. Just move over to the desktop & open the other application.

It takes a small amount of time to get in the habit of looking for things on the second monitor ( for example, "Print" windows will often open on the other monitor unexpectedly), but once you've noticed what's taking place it just becomes a part of your normal work routine.

I'm curious about why you would need UltraMon (I'll get it if it somehow helps). All I did was have another video card installed & then went into the XP control panel & told it to recognize dual monitors. What features does UltraMon offer that you find useful?

JohH ----I only have one video card with two monitor connections. After using UltraMon for the thirty days I appreciated the ease of swithing monitors, the task bars on each monitor, the individual wallpapers. It was possible doing it without UltraMon but the program made it so much nicer to get around.

This is from Kim Komando's site---She has an article on dual monitors in her archieves.

Bigdadder

"""Get the most out of multiple monitors with UltraMon™ EnglishDeutsch Default fontsLarge fonts

UltraMon is a utility for multi-monitor systems, designed to increase productivity and unlock the full potential of multiple monitors.

efficiently move windows and maximize windows across the desktop

manage more applications with the Smart Taskbar

control application positioning with UltraMon Shortcuts

multi-monitor support for desktop wallpapers and screen savers

mirror your main monitor to secondary monitors for a presentation

For more information, read the Overview and take the Feature Tour. A full-featured trial version is available for download."""

I like the idea of separate wallpapers & desktops (more place for pics of the grandkids). This also plays into one of the reasons I'm thinking of a third monitor - one with higher screen resolution when I need it. Thanks for the tip, which is one reason I started this string - I think I'm going to give it a try.

Just make sure you do not depreciate your third or fourth monitor because you are crossing the ordinary and necessary line.

If I were using a dozen monitors, I would depreciate them as long as I was using them for a business purpose. I think that "ordinary and necessary" would include just about anything that is ACTUALLY used in a business. An item can be useful and worthwhile even though it is not actually necessary or ordinary.

Gene

Pacun, how about one for the current year, one for last year, one for the client to watch what we are doing, and one for reference material. I have only one monitor, but would like to have more. Everytime I start to change anything on my system, I wind up spending a lot more time getting it working right than I had imagined. I have gotten where I am afraid to change anything as long as everything is working. Also, I don't know where I could put another monitor. My desk is already cluttered.

Gene

Gene: The dual monitor setup is pretty easy with XP. You just need to have a video card installed which accommodates 2 monitors (if you don't already have one). Once the second one is hooked up, you go into the control panel, tell the system you have two monitors, and designate them #1 & #2. That's basically all there is to it.

As for where to put the monitor, just balance it on that stack of books & magazines over on the left side of your dek. You might need to add a book or two to get everything at the correct height.

Gene: I think you can just look where your monitor is plugged into the back of your computer & see if there's another plug just like that one. Maybe someone else can give some more details because there are different types of plugs for different types of monitors.