ATX Community

Divorced and Separated Couples

mcb39

How many of you have noticed an increased number of divorced and/or separated couples this year?  I am getting a lot of them along with the usual arguments about who gets to claim the children, etc.  My head is spinning and we are only in our second week.

On the bright side, I am also seeing several marriages between clients.  Let's hope they stay together.  I, personally, have 62 years coming up in a few months.  Nobody ever said it was going to be easy, but plenty of people said that it would never last.  Ha!

• Like 6

Wow!  With 62 years of marriage, you must have been a cradle bride.  I've know only one other couple married that long - they made it to 74 years before the groom passed away.  Heartiest congratulations!  We just celebrated 43 years but have been together for 50 this fall.  You are so correct that it isn't always easy but, for many reasons, we keep choosing each other.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was not a child bride, I am just OLD.  However, we have kept each other sane and are both still working.  Not because we have to, but because we want to.  Where Covid has broken many families, it has brought us closer together because we only had each other and our kitty baby.  We have a beautiful family; small but close and we count our blessings every day!!!❤️

• Like 8

On 2/11/2022 at 7:56 AM, Randall said:

I haven't noticed an increase.  But my office is in an old house converted to offices.  There are several attorneys here who do divorce and they are busy, very busy.  And have been before covid.

All you have to do is to read the Qanon casualties reddit and see the daily carnage caused by those insane conspiracy theories. It's not all divorces (some aren't married). One lady's mom thinks her baby is going to be half human because the pregnant lady got vaccinated. We live in "interesting" times.

• Like 2

A recent WSJ article talked about higher probably of divorce due to age of marriage and cohabiting before marriage (especially mulitple partner cohabiting).  Whew.  Younger age and never cohabiting resulting is less divorce.  Older marriage age and cohabiting (with spouse) or having multiple other pre-marriage cohabiting partners resulted in higher divorce rates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randall said:

A recent WSJ article talked about higher probably of divorce due to age of marriage and cohabiting before marriage (especially mulitple partner cohabiting).  Whew.  Younger age and never cohabiting resulting is less divorce.  Older marriage age and cohabiting (with spouse) or having multiple other pre-marriage cohabiting partners resulted in higher divorce rates.

I'm guessing there is a strong correlation the family/religion/community that frown on cohabitation also frown on divorce. 

9 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

What is this, the 60s?

I was married in 1960.  Wouldn't want to go back, but if these tax laws get any more convoluted, I don't know how much more I can take.  We are so crazy busy and I am training a young lady and learning new things at the same time.  We are still having fun though.  My husband brought us both flowers today.

• Like 5