ATX Community

Windows 11

grandmabee

Please don't downgrade your computer just because...

As soon as Windows 11 came on board, I upgraded and I have never had any issues.

In your case, I would install ATX 2021 with its data on the new computer and then install ATX 2022. I always keep my old computer handy the next tax season. After the next tax season, I disconnect it from the LAN and turn it on when needed. I keep it for another year or two and then there is no need to go back to it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcb39 said:

I have been told that you cannot update 10 Pro to 11 Pro due to the fact that the 11 Pro system requires an entirely different chip and you need an entirely new computer.  What is the real deal here?

That's not true... unless when you purchased your old computer 4 years ago, you asked the technician to buy a 3 year old computer because you were afraid of windows 10 at the time.

• Like 3

For the hold outs, the last time I checked, Microsoft will support Windows 10 until (at least) October of 2025.  If getting a new box, there is zero reason to get anything other than a current OS.

If software does not run on the current OS, it is time to get new/different software! It has been many years since MS released a new OS which was not reasonably backwards compatible.  Yes, there is still a command prompt, and things like CD and MKDIR still work.  What you might run into, is a program (programmers) who use undocumented API's, or elect to use some function or feature which is known to be deprecated, and tell their customers not to use a NEW OS because of "compatibility" (rather than a decision they made) issues.  Or, a software dev may say something like "hold on", we have not done any testing with the new OS (even through devs have access early on to relatively close to release versions of the new OS).

Just free thoughts, from a long time developer, worth what you paid for them.  (I do not miss trying to stuff data into 300-400k of available memory, or having to come up with special code to hook keys into to do what they should have done within the OS.)

For the hold outs, the last time I checked, Microsoft will support Windows 10 until (at least) October of 2025.  If getting a new box, there is zero reason to get anything other than a current OS.

I find this totally encouraging.  I know time flies, but this allows me to stop worrying for a while.  I just saw this morning that it is ten years since I took a 200 mile trip to take and pass a test that turned out to be redundant.  The good side of the story is that I don't have to be tested every year to maintain AFSP status.  This is a quirky and difficult business in so many ways.  I wonder if we have to be a different breed in order to stick with it.  Good luck to all this year!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

I find this totally encouraging.  I know time flies, but this allows me to stop worrying for a while. 

Microsoft is very transparent about their end of support dates.  Any search engine will return a list.  Most use such a list not so much for planning, but to see how far behind they are <smile>.

image.png.3308c4c7cce6b07d524877b147b58c68.png

image.png.74451d3ad20c60fdd5f6f29e321f6518.png

image.png.fab47d531afa5f4bcd2c709e800e38e0.png

• Like 2