ATX Community

Original 2022 efiled. How to efile amended

Brett

I have a client that did not include several interest income statements.   They finally received this week after they told me they had none originally.   Need to amend return.  How do I efile the amended return.   Do I create copy of original or do it in the original return which I have marked complete.  ANy help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Brett

Assume you are in ATX.   Open the Completed return.   Upper left corner above the save button is the "Returns" menu drop down.   Select "Amend Return".   After ATX creates the new return, close the original return without saving.   Make your changes to the new return.   Save and name the new return.  

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 4

I would wait until after the filing deadline to file a 1040X, because if it is filed before that it is a Superceded Return. The software has 2 check boxes on the *1040X input page for this.  One box is for Efiling, the other for paper filing where "Superceded return" is printed.  There is a major difference: for an amended return where you only need to add the interest on Sch B and send that.  For a Superceded return. it wipes out the original return and an entire new return has to be filed.

If the total Interest is lesss than $50, or the resulting tax is less then $14, no amended, or superceded return needs to be filed.

* I use Drake, but assume all tax software has something similar.

12 hours ago, Catherine said:

I thought that Drake (my software) has a choice for "Frist Amended/superceded return" and thought it was both cool and about time.

I've never understood the point. My understanding is that if you amend before the due date, including extensions, then it is considered superseding. But either way, the final numbers are the same, so who cares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

I've never understood the point. My understanding is that if you amend before the due date, including extensions, then it is considered superseding. But either way, the final numbers are the same, so who cares.

There are differences between superseded and amended returns for statute of limitations pertaining to assessments and also for refund claims. The following article has a good summary of the issue, and also the difference between IRS view and the Supreme Court view on this.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2021/jul/superseding-returns-statutes-limitation.html

• Like 5