ATX Community

smelly docs

BrewOne

Anyone else have this problem--certain clients' documents reeking from what I assume is a "generous" use of air freshener in their home and car?  I don't think the clients have a clue but I have to let the papers air out for a few days before I can deal with them.

Any ideas of a polite way to broach the subject?

• Like 1

Cigarette smoke and couldn't wait to get them out of my office.

The firm I worked for early in my career had a seafood market, and the stench from its papers was nauseating. The owners knew it too because they and the kids would shower and change clothes after work.

AIr out as best you can, keep the docs sealed up and in a separate area until ready to work on them, and get the work done sooner than later. Maybe you could put a box of baking soda or some odor absorber/neutralizer in a bag with the papers.

• Like 9

The worst I've had is cigarette smoke. But I did have one year where the envelope the client dropped off included one of those perfume samples that are small, porous cards attached inside magazines. Really strong after being enclosed.

• Like 4

Had one lady years ago who would bring her docs in one of those Dutch butter cookie tins. Everything smelled of cookies. Finally told her that if she was going to do that, to leave me a couple of cookies. The next year she brought an envelope, doggone it all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Angry 1

How about smelly clients? I had one older woman in particular that practically bathed in this sickeningly sweet perfume. You could still smell the perfume lingering in the office 4 hours later. And sometimes, she would hug me and slime my clothes. Eww.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nicotine in the past but not so much lately.  One client (the guy of a married couple) reeked of BO.  His wife must have finally got on him.  I haven't smelled it the past couple of years.  One lady recently smelled of onion.  Years ago in LA when I was auditing, I went to a fish place, processed fresh fish.  They put me in a room at a table.  The room was where they cut up the fish but it wasn't being used when I was there.  When I got home, my clothes reeked of fish smell.  I hung them up outside the closet.  I had to go back a couple of more days and just wore the same clothes.  After the assignment, I had them dry cleaned.

• Haha 1

I'm in a rural area.  I get farmers coming in with their dirty boots and the place smells like manure for days.  I used to have a client that smoked a lot but reading this post, I don't think I have anyone that smokes now.  Maybe they all vape now so I don't smell so it.  

• Like 4

Oh lord yes.  It's one of the reasons I'm going 100% portal next year.  I have asthma, so the smoke/scents are really bad for me.  I copy them immediate, seal their originals in an envelope.  Some are too strong even for that.   People have no idea how much paper absorbs.

• Like 3