ATX Community

2008 Max Install Problem

Robin

I haven't received the cd as yet, but attempted to download from the web. It will not move past "0" on the install sreen after inserting my activation code. I saw someone below had to install in safe mode to get past this. What would cause this "hanging", and should I expect the same problem when I use the cd? I didn't experience this in prior years using the same computer system. I guess I'm wondering if I might have another problem lurking somewhere.

Robin

I haven't received the cd as yet, but attempted to download from the web. It will not move past "0" on the install sreen after inserting my activation code. I saw someone below had to install in safe mode to get past this. What would cause this "hanging", and should I expect the same problem when I use the cd? I didn't experience this in prior years using the same computer system. I guess I'm wondering if I might have another problem lurking somewhere.

Robin

I received the CD, but opted to download from ATX. It took less than 3 mins to download and everything else was pretty easy. Just as a note I Installed on my Server and also completed Netsetup to one of the work station in less than 15mins total.

Devm

One bit of advice to anyone who has not yet installed. It's always smart to clean up your disk, and do a defrag before you install a new program, especially one as important as the tax software. Does not take that long, but can speed up both the install and the operation of the disk. But we tend to get busy and forget to do it.

The ATX technician who helped me install in safe mode first had me open the task manager (Ctrl, Alt & Delete) and close down some of the running processes. That didn't work but she thought that there was a conflict with one of the processes and the install program. Since I will have a new computer before tax season, my concern is VISTA. Are you VISTA users installing OK?

Just installed in Vista today. It was the fastest easiest ATX install I ever ran. The first problem I noticed running a 2008 1040 was that the form 6251 exemption limits have not been updated. So you need to go into the 6251 worksheet and plug in the exemption levels.

I just did a clean install from the disk with no problems. Before you start, get your computer ready as KC has already noted. Disable your anti-virus software temporarily as well as your screen saver and/or anything else that may be running in the background. Good luck to all and have a great tax season.

Received mine yesterday, installed it today, so far so good!

Deb!

I spoke to soon!

I tried to open the program and got this window: An update problem has caused incompatible file version to be installed and the program cannot continue until corrected. An update is available, click to update.

I did that and downloaded the current update, restarted the program, even restarted my computer and received the same message.

I uninstalled the program went on line, downloaded it from atx site, opened the program got the exact same message, clicked on update and it shows nothing available for update!

Not looking good!

I received my ATX 2008 Tax Preparation today (12/3/2008). The software would not install on my computer. I have a Windows XP Professional (SP1). After looking at the minimum system requirements it mentined that the software requires Windows XP Professional (SP2), or Vista.

Was any of you able to install it on a Windows XP Professional (SP1)?

If I am not able to install it on SP1, have any of you did an upgrade with SP2? How did installing the upgrade work for you? Were there any problems?

Thanks for your early reply!

My Windows XP upgrades to SP 1, 2 and 3 all went smoothly. Had no problems installing or upgrading the program. However, have not tried to open it yet today, but will, as others are indicating new issues.

I'm runnig XP (SP3) and no problems so far in opening or runing the program.

Devn

If the problem you are having is that when you open the program it tells you you need to update, then it closes when you click on Update, read th KB Doc # 26879.

You can also check first, by going to your Control Panel, Add-Remove Programs, and check to see if you have

.NET Framework 2.0 installed. If you have it, it may have a problem. If you don't have it, the solution is easy. You just need to install the program, which you can find on the CD or can get from MS updates.

If the problem you are having is that when you open the program it tells you you need to update, then it closes when you click on Update, read th KB Doc # 26879.

You can also check first, by going to your Control Panel, Add-Remove Programs, and check to see if you have

.NET Framework 2.0 installed. If you have it, it may have a problem. If you don't have it, the solution is easy. You just need to install the program, which you can find on the CD or can get from MS updates.

KC there is a problem with some of us and that instruction. In my case when I navigated to the folder were the dotnetfx.exe folder was suppose to be, it wasn't there. David at ATX also tried it on his computer and likewise it wasn't on his either. He had me install it from the CD, it was actually quite easy and the whole process took well under 30 minutes from start to finish of call.

I am very pleased with their support as of now!

Deb!

KC there is a problem with some of us and that instruction. In my case when I navigated to the folder were the dotnetfx.exe folder was suppose to be, it wasn't there. David at ATX also tried it on his computer and likewise it wasn't on his either. He had me install it from the CD, it was actually quite easy and the whole process took well under 30 minutes from start to finish of call.

I am very pleased with their support as of now!

Deb!

Because of KC's warning, I checked and did have the offending .NET thing. So I printed out the KB document to have at the ready, installed ATX, and ended up having no problems. Second time today that "sympathetic magic" worked. But I did have to install ATX twice, because I forgot to do "custom install" and the first time it loaded onto my C drive, when all my tax programs are on my F drive partition. So I needed to move it.

Catherine