ATX Community

IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray in Ohio

So I call a business 2 miles down the road. The guy I want to talk to about his tax return is in a meeting. Lady who answers the phone asks if she may take a message for him. I tell her to have him call me when he's available. She asks for my number and STUPID old me, I did not include the area code. I just give her my seven digit number which has the SAME PREFIX that they have. AND SHE HAS THE BALLS TO ASK ME IF THAT IS IN 330 (area code).

I WANTED TO SCREAM INTO THE FRIKKIN PHONE: NO ........... WE ARE 2 MILES AWAY FROM EACH OTHER...... HOW COULD WE EVER BE IN THE SAME AREA CODE????????? DUH!!!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE HAVING THE SAME PREFIX WOULD BE YOUR FIRST HINT THAT WE ARE IN THE SAME AREA CODE!!!!!!!

Come on people...... it's not that hard to use your brains a little bit! :(

(ok I feel better now)

You win. Your story is better than mine:

Had a client, giving me her number, say, "I suppose you want that 423" (our area code, like I'm charging her to take that down or something... whaaa?) and waited for me to respond. I didn't see that coming. Same prefix as me, too. I just wanted to say, "You could have said the whole number three times in the space it took for that whole unnecessary communication that just happened."

Yes, I understand Ray. I hear you, man.

Here, you can go a couple miles and be in a different area code. You also have people with cell phones that they got when they lived who-knows-where with different area codes. Local we have 206, 360, and 425. Cell phones it's anything.

But if it was the same prefix, you would think that people would know the area code is the same as well.

I think you've got Aprilites a little early. It does seem, doesn't it, that as we get more tired and stressed, the clients also get crankier and dumber, at the same time. But the ones that get to me the most are the ones who call just to ask "Well, I guess you are getting pretty busy now, huh?" And then take 5 minutes of yakking to get around to saying, "I've just about got it all together now, when do you want me to bring it in?"

I've so far restrained myself from the answer I really want to give them, although I have used my second choice a couple of times already. You know, the old "March the first would be good."

But the ones that get to me the most are the ones who call just to ask "Well, I guess you are getting pretty busy now, huh?" And then take 5 minutes of yakking to get around to saying, "I've just about got it all together now, when do you want me to bring it in?"

LOL. I know!! I told one (who called to see if I was busy yet and could she bring it in), "Sure, bring it in! I'm two weeks behind, so don't expect it to be ready tomorrow..." (She's one of those who calls to see how it's coming along, so I wanted to get that in there.)

She said, "Hmm. I guess I'll go ahead and bring it in now, cause in two weeks, you might still be behind."

I had one of those today also.

One of my regular procrastinators stops by to let me know he's "getting the info together". So I told him he doesn't need to rush - just get the W-2 forms to me so I can file the extension. He then says "well, with the economy like it is we need to get the refund on the way". I reply that the first step in that process is to get his info to me so I can get started on the return. Next he asks how long it will take to get the return done, to which I reply it's hard to say until I see his info, but I'm making no promises since I've been filing extensions for over a week now. Then he says he really needs the refund. I reply that he could have already had his refund if he'd brought his info to me 3-4 weeks ago. (I'm proud of myself for not saying "HRB can handle it for you a lot faster than I can", but I'll admit the thought crossed my mind).

He left promising that he'd work on it, but if things go as usual I won't see him again until around Apr 10 (assuming he comes back at all).

But I'm still wondering why he came in today - does he think I work like Baskin Robbins where you pull that little numbered ticket when you go in the door so you can get your place in line?

But I'm still wondering why he came in today - does he think I work like Baskin Robbins where you pull that little numbered ticket when you go in the door so you can get your place in line?

Yes, I think some of mine absolutely think that once they talk to me, they're in there like swimwear.

I got one here, that brought me some forms 2/09, some more forms 2/16, and the rest yesterday. Her stuff gets put in the stack with people who brought it all yesterday. On second thought, maybe I'll make a mistake and put her stuff with the Friday people...

Maybe that is what was on his mind.

But even at Baskin Robbins you need to be ready to order AND PAY when you go in the door.

And I don't think number 11 from today will still get you the same place in line if you come back Saturday, no matter how badly you want ice cream...

We are supposed to be getting a new area code in our area sometime next year. Instead of dividing the area in half and some people having to change their number, both area codes will cover the same area. New people getting new phones will get the new area code. The houe next door could have a different area code and when we call anyone, even those with the same area code, we will have to dial the entire 10 diget number. Parts of Atlanta, Georgia, if not all of Atlanta, is already that way.

I just had one call and say, "I'm bringing my stuff over right away on my way to town!" I said, "OK, I have appointments but you can drop it off." She said, "Oh, I'm so excited to find out what the results are!" I said, "Yes, you and 2500 other people!" Do they really all believe that we are just sitting here waiting for them to come in?

She just came and while I was at the door, somebody faxed me their Sales Tax to file electronically. I am NOT going to let this get to me!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Stress (drink, drink), what is stress (drink, drink)? Just keep saying "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job ... !! Sometimes I don't things could get any more stressful, then the sun comes up and I have to go into work!! Gotta love it:) LIFE IS GREAT

Sara

Do you really think you might still be behind the first of April? Then how about May 1st, should be better then :)

I had a client email me to tell me they could not get thru on the phone (how do these people expect me to get any work done when I am on the phone all the time) and said to please call her when I got a minute. I emailed her back to say I thought I would have a minute in July and I would talk to her then.

Your client reminds me of a sales manager I was dealing with years ago in my manufacturer's rep business. (This was back before cell phones were as common as they are now) He canceled our representation agreement because I was hard to get in touch with. He almost always had to leave messages when he called - I never seemed to be in the office.

I still laugh about his stupidity.

If the sales rep isn't in the office, there's a pretty good chance he's OUT CALLING ON CUSTOMERS!.

I had a client email me to tell me they could not get thru on the phone (how do these people expect me to get any work done when I am on the phone all the time) and said to please call her when I got a minute. I emailed her back to say I thought I would have a minute in July and I would talk to her then.

I'm writing that one down. Sweet...

CT's adding a new area code, too. So, we'll have to dial all ten digits to call anyone in the state. I wonder if they mean eleven digits including the "1."

And one of those couples with investments and multiple states and child care and...has an appointment to drop off tomorrow but e-mailed me today to ask if I could guarantee he'll have his returns by 14 April. Since I'd already told him he was getting an extension when he booked his appointment, I don't know what he thought changed. My clients' financial lives continue to get more complex, not less.

Had a new client (had talked to him on the phone about a month ago for about an hour) send me all his "stuff"...while I'm trying to decipher the "stuff" I find 3 phone #'s to contact him...2 cell and 1 home phone...no area codes. He was from an area near Columbus that has more than one area code...I shipped everything back to him with return receipt. Not touching that with a 10 foot pole!

AnnieR

I remember when we had to dial 4 digits.

A town I lived in, in Central Massachusetts, was one of the last in the state to still have 4-digit dialing (and the old rotary switches, as well -- you could hear them clacking on the line). They lost that and had to go to 7 digits about 1995, just a couple years before I moved to Worcester.

Catherine

We had a party line, don't remember how many digits we had to dial. Do remember not dialing at all from my grandmother's phone and maybe ours, just telling the operator who we wanted to talk with. Then we got Linden-4 3541 which is the only number I ever remember, learning it to recite in kindergarten and write down for the teacher. My parents had LI4-3541, 544-3541, all those years, and then my sister moved into their house keeping the same number until she was robbed and the police suggested she change her telephone number. Now she's 544-U ROB.