ATX Community

NT / Wow, I'm getting short with people

RitaB

Guy comes in this morning, late as always, three out of three years, (congratulations, you're consistent if nothing else).

Just so dang chipper, you know? Has his copy of last year's return, with all the associated crap, and this year's stuff. I barely greeted him, yanked this year's stuff out of the mess, and sent him on his way carrying last year's stuff: "Don't call me, I'll call you." (I remember he likes to call and see how it's coming along...)

As he's leaving, he's looking back: "It should be pretty easy..."

Wow, I wanted to throw something at him.

Other than that, it's been a pretty good day...

Actually, I am having a pretty good day. One of my clients stopped by this AM and cut all of our hair (myself, husband and son). She had donuts and coffee with us and left us 3 gift certificates to the local Chinese Restaurant. So, hubby has gone to get Chinese food for lunch. She also picked up their tax return, which is a complicated one, paid for it and all was well.

Yesterday was my crabby day; people dropping in without appts, clients coming early while prior client was still here and another one knocking on the back door all at once.

Sunday was even worse, with the doorbell and phone ringing simultaneously. When you have a home office, what part of Sunday don't they understand?

But this morning made it all better; so what kind of happenings can I expect for this afternoon?

When you have a home office, what part of Sunday don't they understand?

I have an office in town, and I'll never forget one EASTER SUNDAY, coming HOME from church and the phone is ringing. This turkey (not even a client, our kids played ball together) wanting to talk about his non-filing issues. Let me tell you, he did NOT become a client.

Client called yesterday to say he was going to be out of town the second week of April and he was concerned. He didn't mind being on extension, but he wanted to make sure that he paid in enough not to owe a penalty.

Me: (after a pause, because I'm thinking I've totally lost my mind) "Well, are you going to drop your stuff by?"

Him: "You haven't asked for it yet."

Me: (again, after a pause, because I'm totally speechless) "I'm sorry."

Him: "That's okay. I know you've been busy."

This is a true story.

It makes you wonder sometimes, doesn't it? Maybe my protocol of sending engagement letters and organizers out annually (at least to those I want to return!), has its merits! It otherwise would never occur to me that a client was waiting for me to ask for their tax information. Wonder just how long he would have waited...April 13, 14, 15?

March 25, 2009

Office staff: Mrs. XXX, your amended 2007 in response to the CP2000 is complete. Do you want to send us a check or pay us with a credit card?

Mrs. XXX "I would rather send you a check." (She lives in WA)

March 31, 2009

Mrs. XXX: "I haven't received my amended return yet. (due date of April 8)

Me: Let me check and see Mrs. XXX.

I find the file with the note that she will send a check, still waiting for the check.

Me: "Mrs. XXX, we have not yet received your check."

Mrs. XXX: "YOU MEAN YOU DID NOT MAIL IT OUT?" (yes, shouting) "THE DUE DATE IS APRIL 8!" "If I had known you were not going to mail it right away, I would have given you a credit card." "Is it normal for you to delay sending information when I have a deadline?"

Me: "It is normal that we get payment before releasing your returns."

Me: "Mrs. XXX, did you already mail us a check?"

Mrs. XXX: "No, my husband said to wait till we received the return before I mail the check."

Me: (Trying to be cordial at this point because we pushed her notice ahead of about 50 other people last week) "Mrs. XXX, I will be glad to take your CC information and we can get this out to you."

Mrs. XXX "(gives CC info) "I want you to overnight the package to me, no matter what the extra costs." "I cannot believe that you were waiting till you received payment to send the information to me."

Me: "We will overnight this to you so you can get it mailed." "Thank You."

Our charge for doing the amend (she is a long time client) $50.

Some days....

Shaking my head...What is it about paying for services provided that some folks don't understand? And if this was a long time client, I'm sure this isn't news to her.

I do put into my engagement letter that payment must be made upon receiving the returns but admit I don't enforce it. Luckily I've been stiffed just twice in about 15 years. Good for you for holding that temper!

This is a little off color, so if you are easily offended, just quit reading now.

The post by Jack reminded me of my "colorful" economics teacher in college, the best professor I ever had.

He was teaching a principle to the class that he called the "prostitution principle of economics". Why does a hooker get paid before providing the service? Because the value of a service declines immediately after the service is rendered. The more desireable the service, the more that can be charged for the service before it is rendered, and the steeper the decline in value after it is rendered.

Now, I am not saying we are all hookers, but we do provide a service that is in high demand right now. If we don't get paid for it while the cliet percieves the need for the service, the client's motivation to pay us will decline proportionately after the service is rendered.

I have never forgotten that lesson. All the women in the class were shocked. I was roflmao at that one. Thanks Mr. Yerge.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I threw out a new client last week. They brought incomplete data, then husband didn't like the result and made a comment that they never had trouble like this with H&R. Then they brought more info, wanted me to work it up to see if they would get a refund like last year, and maybe they'd let me continue working on it. LET ME! REALLY! BTW, their income was substantially higher than LY, adding to an already bad situation, and causing add'l phase outs over that of LY. GGGGRRRRRR.

In one of my first years as a preparer, I worked in an HFC office. I had a client who came to have his rather simple return prepared...after it was finished, he said wow, you got the same result as HRB, he also had gone to 3 or 4 other preparers to see who could get him the biggest refund. He spent way more than his refund was!!

AnnieR

No, they hadn't been shopping around. They were referred in after being charged a fairly high fee for their multi-state return last year.

Wife had dropped off info, then later I talked to both them on the telephone. They were on their speaker phone & husband made the comment in the background while the wife tried to smooth it over and say I shouldn't be offended. I was just stunned to hear it considering they gave me incomplete information and I was only calling to get what was missing. Had I completed the return with what I was initially given, they would have owned a couple thousand instead of getting that much back.

I stewed all evening until the wife came back the next morning. That's when the package was given back. Too bad I didn't get the satisfaction of telling the pompous husband off to his face. I liked the wife, and she seemed like a genuinely nice person and was totally mortified.

I usually get a male calling and hear a shrill female voice in the background telling him what to say. More often than not, it's saying "Tell her XXX told us we could do that." My standard reply is" Then please take your information to XXX and have them/her/him do it!

AnnieR