ATX Community

New Feature Idea

Terry D EA

I have been using ATX since 1998. While the program has made major changes over the years, there is one area that I would like to see an impovement or or a feature added. Each year we check the return manager against the e-file manager weekly to ensure the returns have all been transmitted or mailed. Most of my mailings are either corp, payroll forms; etc and not usually individual returns. We always find one or two returns that slipped by without being e-filed. While this has not become a major issue with my clients, it is an issue with me. I am a one man show any my wife handles the receiptionist and some administrative duties. We are not networked, but that maybe an idea for her to check behind me.

I would like to see a feature that would flag a return if it has not been either e-filed or mailed that would get your attention. Even if you could run a report that would be helpful. I know you can run the e-file report but to my knowledge there is nothing within the program to alert you that the return has not been filed.

We did have a return this year where the client's bank information disappeared om the 1040Efile form. I distinctly remember entering the information, shredding the paper the numbers were written on and creating the e-file. This return never got transmitted and when we re-opened the return to re-create the efile, the information vanished.

If any of you have any other sytems of checks and balances that helps with this, please post them here as I would like to see the procedures others use. Have a restful off season

Terry D.

I use the "Complete" field in the Return manager. I e-file as signature forms are obtained and once accepted through e-file, I mark the retrun as complete in the return manager. I can then browse the return manager as needed (weekly) to see if any aren't marked complete that I think should be. Near the filing deadline, I look for the not completes and follow up with the cleint if I am waitng on signature forms. Also, for mailed in returns or clients that ask just for hardcopy so they can mail, I mark as complete once it is out of my office. I have used this method as long as its been available and haven't had a problem yet. For more people in the office, I think you need to have a really clear procedure to make this work (or maybe only one person who can ever mark a return as complete).

My 2 cents.

Julie

I do the same as Julie and it works for me. I also have a column in my return manager next to the "completed" box where I track the status, by marking them "CK & COPY", "PU" (ready to pickup), "DONE" (e-file transmitted or paper file). The only thing I've found to be careful of is that sometimes, for reasons I do not understand, a return mysteriously marks itself "completed", so I've learned to use the completed returns filter in the client manager on a weekly basis to make sure that all the returns checked as "completed" are also designated as "DONE". Every once in a while I find one on the list that isn't!

I too have asked for and put in the "suggestion box" at ATX that we need to have the ability to "link" the efile manager and the return manager. No matter how careful I am about double checking between the lists it still seems a couple of times a year I find a return that has slipped by and not been efiled.

Somehow there should be a way for them to allow us to at least run a report that compares efiles with the return manager and shows them side by side.

My other wish would be for the return manager to have an "efile status" column that would automatically show the status of each client's return.

Taxtrio

Agree with Terry. This should not be a work around by us.

It would seem a simple matter to add a column or 2 in the return manager that showed the efile status and automatically populated the field. Would be much easier and when you mark the return complete it is possible to still miss sending the efile.

I like the idea of adding a column. I use the 'complete' check boxes in both the efile manager and the return manager, but was having problems making sure I had filed extensions for everyone. I double and triple checked and kept finding a few that slipped through (including one I had filed the state, but somehow had not filed the fed!).

I like the idea of adding a column and did experiment with this and will use it if all else fails. The only problem I see is it still requires a manual entry from me that could get overlooked. A link between the e-file manager and return manager would still be preferred. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who overlooks things. The older I get the more it happens. :-)

Terry D.

We use the complete field like so many others, but we also use a paper system. When the signature forms are returned we put a copy in the customer's file, but the original goes in a folder marked "To be E-filed." Once the return is e-filed, the signature forms move to a folder "Waiting for Acks." Once the ack is received, I print it and staple it to the front of the signature forms and file them alphabetically in folders for "2009 E-files." That way, if the signature forms are received I will have a paper form floating around until the ack is received to make sure I file it and follow up on the ack. Not a perfect system, just one more way to check on follow-through.

We use the complete field like so many others, but we also use a paper system. When the signature forms are returned we put a copy in the customer's file, but the original goes in a folder marked "To be E-filed." Once the return is e-filed, the signature forms move to a folder "Waiting for Acks." Once the ack is received, I print it and staple it to the front of the signature forms and file them alphabetically in folders for "2009 E-files." That way, if the signature forms are received I will have a paper form floating around until the ack is received to make sure I file it and follow up on the ack. Not a perfect system, just one more way to check on follow-through.

I also have an Excel WIP chart, color coded. I can open it and see what is waiting for client info, what hasn't been touched, what's ready for final review, printing, wiating for e-file forms, waiting for ack's, waiting to be PAID for.... Be happy to scrub client names and post it if there's any interest. Put it on my network box and Gwen could update it when she got documents scanned, too.

Catherine

By all means, please attach a copy of it, Catherine.

Here it is. I've deleted all the personal information and most of the lines. I've left some so people can see the different ways I fill in and note stuff. One of the nice things with Excel is that you can sort in all kinds of ways -- I set up each year alphabetically, and then later on sort by Column G (Doc's received date) so that I do things in the order I got them. Once There are more than a few "completed" returns I cut them and paste them in at the bottom, so they're out of my way for "what do I tackle next?"

Hope that folks find it helpful!

Catherine

WIP_Template.xls

I have been using ATX since 1998. While the program has made major changes over the years, there is one area that I would like to see an impovement or or a feature added. Each year we check the return manager against the e-file manager weekly to ensure the returns have all been transmitted or mailed. Most of my mailings are either corp, payroll forms; etc and not usually individual returns. We always find one or two returns that slipped by without being e-filed. While this has not become a major issue with my clients, it is an issue with me. I am a one man show any my wife handles the receiptionist and some administrative duties. We are not networked, but that maybe an idea for her to check behind me.

I would like to see a feature that would flag a return if it has not been either e-filed or mailed that would get your attention. Even if you could run a report that would be helpful. I know you can run the e-file report but to my knowledge there is nothing within the program to alert you that the return has not been filed.

We did have a return this year where the client's bank information disappeared om the 1040Efile form. I distinctly remember entering the information, shredding the paper the numbers were written on and creating the e-file. This return never got transmitted and when we re-opened the return to re-create the efile, the information vanished.

If any of you have any other sytems of checks and balances that helps with this, please post them here as I would like to see the procedures others use. Have a restful off season

Terry D.

I want sprinkles...sprinkles make everything better!

Thanks, Catherine, for sharing your creation. I did download it and will look it over soon. I'm sure it is a great tool because you created it!

Aw, shucks, Margaret, you'll make me blush!! :blush:

To all the others who requested chocolate -- wish I could send it to you all, but my clients got almost all of it. I bought those "Bite Back At The IRS" bars; dark and milk (from Mostad & something; they had the best price by far). People _loved_ them. Folks who don't eat chocolate took bars for their kids ("But I'm saving the label for me!"), some folks reported that they showed their co-workers. Others said the chocolate didn't last until the end of the street. But they were a huge hit.

If anyone has recommendations for tweaks to the spreadsheet, I'll _gladly_ listen!

Catherine

I use a spreadsheet to manage our files also, but it is rather different in some ways. We don't enter the clients in advance, instead we use it to log in work as it comes in the door. Then there are columns for the date it came in, the date we promised it back, who is working on it, etc. etc. When everything is completed, (we are paid, the e-file is accepted, and the client picked up their copy) we highlight it in yellow. I also have tabs for each month to keep up with information returns for bookkeeping clients such as tax deposits, sales tax, quarterly reports, etc. I like the easy way excel can sort information based on any column that you choose.

Oh, how I miss See's chocolates! Anyway, Mostad & Christensen or M&C. I bought their $ coins since my company is Dollars & Sense, LLC. Also, bought some reminder postcards. They give away free keyboard calendars (those long narrow ones) and desk cards/fast facts. You can order as many as you want on their web site for free, until they run out. Might be a bit late for the desk cards, but the calendars are still handy. And, watch for them next year. What percentage of dark did your clients take?

I agree Terry,

I would love to see that show up in the return manager as well. Virtually all my clients e-file and now I have to print a report of all clients and check that against the e-files. It would be nice if there was a check box that automatically showed e-file transmitted. From that list, it would be simple to determine if they are held, rejected or accepted. Hope ATX will consider that.

Steve M

Oh, how I miss See's chocolates! <snip> What percentage of dark did your clients take?

See's chocolates are pretty darned yummy.

I actually have more dark left than milk, but it was pretty even. When in doubt, I gave away the milk chocolate and I prefer the dark (figuring if there were leftovers....). I have 7 milk chocolate left and 14 dark.

There were even a few clients who _refused_ chocolate! Some don't eat sugar, a couple don't like chocolate, a couple forgot to take them when they left...

Catherine

Another improvement, or correction as I see it is the MI-D and the MI - 4797 that we only use when the item was purchased before October 1, 1967, yes that's right, 1967. If sold in the current year then you would need the form to calculate the gain from before that date. Michigan did not tax capital gains before 10/1/1967. If not then we do not

need the form.

Please ATX don't automatically add the forms to the Michigan.... not required, not needed, just in the way.

Right now if you have any kind of Sch D or 4797 item, even a capital gain distribution... ATX adds the form.

If you are so afraid we as preparers are going to "miss" it when needed, then add a warning in the diagnostics!!

Taxtrio