ATX Community

Check out "Trx-ATX"

JRS

Comments from CCH:

After reviewing many of the posts between ATX Community members and TRX over the past few weeks, I would like to offer an official CCH Small Firm Services response to your purchasing inquiries. TRX is not an authorized reseller or distributer of any of our ATX product lines. You will need to contact your CCH SFS renewal representative at 1-800-495-4626 to renew your ATX software.

Kim Manuel

VP - Customer Relations

CCH Small Firm Services

Okay, Carlos just called back and said he had a brief chat with the owner who will be calling CCH to clarify. The owner ??? will also send an email reassuring me that I will get a full refund if they do not send me the ATX product promised.

Since I, perhaps in hindsight foolishly, bought with TRX, would someone remind me of the renewal deadline from CCH? I have discarded my renewal form. It would be the pits if, not only did I not receive ATX, but had to spend another $111 or so to get the "official" program.

Yikes, I don't need this!

What's the rush? One never know what ugly surprises any software vendor could toss out at the last minute. It isn't as though we all haven't been burned before on one way or another, so I think it's wise to wait until the last minute to buy any tax software in this environment. The relatively small discounts they offer for buying early just aren't worth the risk.

JohnH, you are probably correct. About the getting burned, I mean. I think I'm feeling the heat on my backside as I type. I've used ATX since 1997 and have always renewed early - habit, good or bad. Maybe this is my comeuppance for daring to make a change...

BTW, I notice that Kim CCHSFS may be lurking. It would be nice to hear more but maybe TRX and CCH SFS need to resolve this with some semblance of mutual agreement and not be presenting conflicting information. I think it is obvious that many of us value the ATX software but, as mostly sole proprietors or small office practitioners, really have to watch our dollars. We want the best deal we can get - not a new concept.

I just got off the phone with them right now, to get an answer. Seems that CCH is leaning on them pretty hard right now. So here's how it stands right now. If you bought in to TRX on the basis of getting ATX, [either version] and CCH backs out of their deal with TRX, then you will get a full refund from TRX. But it is not clear at this time if that is what will happen. TRX has a 5 yr contract with CCH, with 4 years remaining on it, so it is still possible that they will be able to provide the ATX package, as advertised. The head people are in a meeting over this right now. They will post here when a more complete answer is available.

Margaret: I was referring to getting burned in the larger context - the overarching principles of the company under CCH management. Not to keep rehashing old grudges, but they clearly told us something about their new business philosophy when they yanked the original community at the worst possible moment without any regard for their loyal users. The clear message was they intended to do what was in their best interests regardless of how it impacted their customers - they told us that with both their words and their deeds.

So far, that's the only major hiccup as far as I'm concerned, but we clearly know what & whom we are dealing with. I follow the old Russian proverb that says when dancing with a bear, keep your knife handy. For me, that means I'm not making any type of commitment until I'm sure the product and service meets my needs for the upcoming year. I'll pay extra to know that's the case. As long as their interests and mine coincide I'll be a customer. But if we get to the point that their business doesn't serve my needs in terms of price, service, quality, etc, then I'll move on without ever looking back.

I was willing to sign up with TRX early because of the money-back guarantee, in writing.

With CCH, the discount is not enough to get me to sign up months ahead of time with no guarantee that my money comes back if they do not produce the product I ordered.

It's as simple as that.

Catherine

JohnH, you are probably correct. About the getting burned, I mean. I think I'm feeling the heat on my backside as I type. I've used ATX since 1997 and have always renewed early - habit, good or bad. Maybe this is my comeuppance for daring to make a change...

BTW, I notice that Kim CCHSFS may be lurking. It would be nice to hear more but maybe TRX and CCH SFS need to resolve this with some semblance of mutual agreement and not be presenting conflicting information. I think it is obvious that many of us value the ATX software but, as mostly sole proprietors or small office practitioners, really have to watch our dollars. We want the best deal we can get - not a new concept.

Margaret, you asked a question. The answer is May 31 for the CCH deadline.

Thanks, Marilyn. Now we wait for those to come down from the Olympiad with the explanation for all this, um, confusion. Doug has written that he will provide it. I have to wonder why these things weren't resolved long ago. I mean, both companies have been in business for a while and with each other, yet!

Too much time on this - I'm still recovering from Sunday's marathon and now trying to wrap up stuff for son's wedding in 11 days. I don't need this distraction! I know I should try to stay off the board but, but...

Thanks, again.

I feel as if I missed somthing. Is TRX selling the exact same program that ATX will be selling for Tax Year 2009?

From my point of view last year and TY2007, I did not feel that TRX was selling any tax software, but they were offering buying into their ALLIANCE, that provided Intellitax software as part of being within the ALLIANCE. It now happens that TRX has a contract with CCH to provide the software as Intellitax did, to be a part of being with the TRX Alliance. There are several other benefits provided aside from the software package provided. Do not lose sight of those differences when you are debating this issue.

If your only reason for going with TRX is the software, then maybe you are not ready to be a part of the Alliance. Yes, it is a major reduction in cost, but also offers other benefits. IMO

Daune/CA

It seems very strange to me that all representatives of TRX have seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth. What has happened to them? Has CCH sucked them into a spaceship and transported them off somewhere else?

Wayne Brasch

My guess would be that they are trying to get things resolved before coming on here just to add to the confusion. If the managements of the 2 firms are working out their differences, give them time to do so before responding here. Apparently CCH hs some differences that they need to have addressed with TRX. Hopefully they will keep in mind that we all are effected by their continued relationship with providing a good software product for both companies.

So has anyone heard anything further from either ATX or TRX on this issue? The silence is deafening !!

I just spoke to Braeden (who is, admittedly trying to catch up after just getting back into the office today). He stated that there are meeting going on but that currently, TRX position is that they stand behind their offer to supply the ATX software at the prices they mentioned (299 and 699)...But that if, for any reason, they cannot, we will all receive our payments refunded in full.

Hopefully we will all get some clarification soon.

Christie of ATX just called me to discuss renewal. We had a long chat about this issue. While she said that she had to be careful about specific things spoken (legal stuff, I think), the bottom line is that the tax preparation software TRX will provide is TaxWise and the Trial Balance, Document Manager and research materials are ATX and CCH as advertised. When I relooked at Braeden's posting listing the components of the $699 package, I only then noticed that the Tax Software listing is just components and capabilities and does not state ATX. The other items specify ATX or CCH.

So, for the moment, I feel, well, taken. And of course, my 72 hours are up, TRX has my money and I have to wait until they ship TaxWise software to get it back to buy ATX from CCH. At least I THINK that's the situation. Geez, what a mess! I hope it's going to be OK!

Christie of ATX just called me to discuss renewal. We had a long chat about this issue. While she said that she had to be careful about specific things spoken (legal stuff, I think), the bottom line is that the tax preparation software TRX will provide is TaxWise and the Trial Balance, Document Manager and research materials are ATX and CCH as advertised. When I relooked at Braeden's posting listing the components of the $699 package, I only then noticed that the Tax Software listing is just components and capabilities and does not state ATX. The other items specify ATX or CCH.

So, for the moment, I feel, well, taken. And of course, my 72 hours are up, TRX has my money and I have to wait until they ship TaxWise software to get it back to buy ATX from CCH. At least I THINK that's the situation. Geez, what a mess! I hope it's going to be OK!

Margaret,

If it makes you feel any better, I got a phone call today from Braeden Kehoe with TRX apologizing to me for my not yet receiving a receipt for the $728.95 check I sent to them to purchase their $699 membership plus $29.95 shipping and handling. On this invoice marked "PAID" it states Item Code 076 ATX 699 Renewal and Item Code 200 Shipping & Handling. Hopefully I will get ATX Total Tax Office when it comes out in the late Fall of this year. I had e-mailed Braeden my concern about all of this stuff we have all heard and read from Kim Manuel with CCH Small Firm Services. His call and e-mail was the result of that concern.

Wayne Brasch

Margaret

This is what my guarantee states:

"You will be getting the ATX Total Tax Office through TRX for $699 plus S&H. If TRX is unable to provide you with the ATX TTO for the 2009 tax season then we will refund you in full."

The description that Braeden gave us said that as well. I would interpret that to mean that we will receive ATX TTO - but they may not be able to label it as "ATX". The other problem with semantics may be that they are not "re-selling" ATX - they are selling membership in the Alliance and providing the software.

I don't care what they call it - as long as it is the software we expect.

Wendy

If that is the case, it makes more sense that they could offer the packages at a lower price. I don't know what is going on, but I sure don't see any new postings since the one yesterday that was deleted.

Bonnie

I think they are in "negotiations". Let us see what they say.