ATX Community

Tax Return Covers - The Quest

samingeorgia

During tax season, about the end of February, I realized that my supply of tax return covers was dwindling rapidly. I called the supplier I had used for 20+ years - Accountants' Supply House in New Jersey - and was greeted by a phone person who answered "Deluxe". Alarm bells went off, and so I inquired why she said Deluxe when I was calling ASH. It seems that Deluxe check printers bought out ASH. Of course, my info was nowhere to be found in their vast database. Undeterred, I asked her to send me a catalog.

April 1 (all fools' day!) I called and asked about the catalog. It will go out on April 20, the nice lady said. "Well, can I fax you a cover to see what I got last time?" "No sir, we can't get anything done until April 20", was the reply.

I decided to buy locally. Big mistake. Evidently the people at ASH were like the Egyptian priests who, when they died, took the secret of embalming with them. Problems encountered at various "printing" companies:

1. Can't print anything but 8.5 x 11; the extra margin on my covers throws 'em for a loop.

2. Can't match the paper. Getting close on the paper took two printers about one and a half months. One gave up.

3. Have to buy paper in too big quantities, so didn't place the order. Why, oh, why not call me up to see if I could use more covers?

4. Now, the third printer says the paper is "ordered" and my job will be done in a matter of days. I've been hearing this for two weeks now - where does this paper come from, Tibet?

What recession? I try - I really do - to control my tendency to utter blasphemy at people's idiocy and laziness. But Great Caesar's Ghost! By the way: that Deluxe catalog I was supposed to be sent? It ain't here.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I choke at the prices these companies charge for a folder that the client will stick in a drawer and may never pull out again.

My clients appreciate my "frugality".... It's back to school time and August is the time to get in on the sales.

I go to a local discount store that has no limit on items such as two pocket portfolio folders. So I buy the 600 - 700 folders I will need for my one person office next year at 15 cents per folder. (up from 10 cents last year.).

I print my own labels, and my retired husband puts the labels on for me. Done... ready for tax season.

I just make sure I buy all one color. Each year I rotate and choose a new color. (No spiderman or barbie folders..

that would just be tacky!)....

Taxtrio

I do the 1 cent folders at Staples, too. This year it's green. But, instead of a full week, they were on sale only Sunday through Wednesday at 20 per customer. Now, I get my husband and daughter to stand in line, too. But, the second store I went to had NO green. I may have to pay full price! Then I buy metallic oval stickers with the year on from M&C; think I'll use silver dates on green folders since last year was gold on yellow. My clients like the color-coded years. Several requested green for this year, so I'm trying to find more green. I buy a few in the same color but larger plastic/vinyl for my businesses and fatter returns. And, a couple in a complimentary color when I have multiple returns in the same family. All of them have the "cuts" to hold my business card.

I used to do the double-pocket folders and part of me still thinks that someday I'll go back to them. But I've been using the Tenenz ATX-compatible folders for the last several years in part because of the cutouts that show the year and name. During tax season it got to be a pain to keep printing out labels (yes, I know, I could get them all ready in early January and ignore the ones who don't return).

But I like the hidden-staple top, I like how professional it looks all put together, and I've been happy with their service. My clients like them, too (although most liked the double pocket folders, as well).

But samingeorgia you also have my sympathies on the aggravating non-service you've been put through. It always amazes me how companies pine for more business and then won't take very standard, easy steps to keep the business they already have.

Catherine

I have used Tenenz for years. If I start running low during the season, order online and delivery is really fast, plus discount. Good Luck. I Cannot remember what the company used to be called, but am sure someone here will refresh us.

Tenenz used to be called "Tax Aid". I think that was the original name before they merged with "HG Professional Forms".

Tenenz used to be called "Tax Aid". I think that was the original name before they merged with "HG Professional Forms".

John, you get the prize. That is the exactly correct answer. Don't know what the prize is, though!

I have never had any problems with any of their products and they are willing to send you free samples if there is something you want to see before you purchase.

I spent some time using the folders with the hidden staples. It worked great for a very specific number of pages, but the paper slid all over for fewer or more pages! I kept thinking it was me and tried different staplers and staple sizes and used paper with less of a sheen. But, it took me so long to put each together and the two-pockets can be found on sale for a penny. I finally gave up and went to the two-pocket folders. I put a sticker with the year on the outside. I don't do any other labels on the outside. I use a post-it with the name and the date of their appointment or drop-off but take that off as I present the folder to them at their final appointment or pick-up. Well, sometimes with multiple returns for one family I might make up labels for the outside.

I use the "All Purpose" cover on Page 18. I make a cover sheet which has my information printed on the page so that it shows in the cut out window. I put a label for the client on the front of the cover right below the double line (labels are so easy to print through ATX). I then put a double sided "Year" sticker on the staple edge. Never have a problem with staples no matter how thick the return is. I staple their W2's, 1099's, etc to the inside of the back cover. So many of my clients consider it to be very professional looking and have had so many pleased comments that I would not consider changing. It doesn't cost that much and I can take pride in the copy of my work that I present to them. (To clarify, my cover sheet is only created once and saved to a disk. Then when I am running short, I can quickly print 30 or so more quickly. This also allows me to edit quickly if I should need to. I generally print my cover sheet on 25# paper and the rest of the return on 20#.

I know that a lot of you consider this overkill, but I just cringe when someone comes in with their copy from HRB and I think how much more they paid for what they got.

Thanks to whoever brought this up as it is time to order for the coming year to get the early order and online discounts.

You can also modify the Master in ATX to make the printing on the "Return Cover Sheet" in the "Client Letter" line up with the cutouts in the Tenenz Folders. It requires a little trial & error, but works very well. Instead of "Federal Tax Returns", mine just says "Income Tax Returns". I then add the company info so it prints on the cover sheet & shows through the lower cutout on the Tenenz folder, so when the return is ready for stapling I just lay the cover sheet on top and staple away. I keep a second stapler on hand for the really thick returns, and I find that up to 30-40 pages can easily be stapled with a 1/2" staple after lining them up. Once the size of the return exceeds what the hidden staple folder will hold, it's on to a pressboard binder with the bulit-in Acco Clips. It costs more, but when the return & corresponding invoice gets that big, a $5 binder is in order.

I've been really busy so I didn't have a chance to chime in, but I also use back to school folders and my clients love them. I get compliments on my folders every year and my mom has fund putting my label on for me.

I have a little over two hundred clients per year so my average cost for folders is around $20.00 per year.

Deb!

I also use the two pocket folders that I bought last weeek for one cent at Staples.

I geenrally use blue, but will also use purple or green. RED is a no-no.

I use my Dymo label maker (love it) for new clients or for a label I do not have pre-printed; and Avery sheets for pre-tax sesaon printing.

I use a different color for each year. Last year, several clients requested green for this year. But, I got to only one Staples while their penny sale was going on, so have only 20 green folders so far. I don't use labels except for foil "year" ovals unless preparing multiple returns for the same family. I just have a post-it with the name and date for my purposes until the client picks up and I remove the post-it as I hand them the folder.

It seems from the replies here that people fall into two main camps: some people use generic folders and put labels on them, and some use the folders with cutouts for the taxpayers names and year and for the preparer. I realize that ATX produces this sheet, but I haven't been in the habit using the client letters which I think is where this sheet comes from.

I've been at this a long time, and long ago got in the habit of using a cover with a space for me to write in only the taxpayers names and the year. The covers I like have my name printed on them and lines for the data I write in. I can do this in my sleep -- I have used the client letter feature in the past, but it seems to me that it's another step in the already tedious printing routine. I care more about saving time during tax season.

Just today, I delivered three corp. and one individual return to a client. I told them my tale of woe and why I had to go to the office supply store to get a generic report cover. My client's wife said, "Oh no, we are used to your blue covers -- I know just where they are when I go into my file cabinet." Well, I told her, these will stick out like a sore thumb.

So far, the covers from Tenenz look most like what ASH had -- unless the printers come though for me. ASH, as I recall, charged between 50 cents and a dollar each, in line with Tenenz. The quote I have now is a dollar a pop. If I get 'em.

Again, thanks to all who have replied. I still want to know why big companies buy out little guys and don't even try to accomodate the customers they just paid big bucks for -- how many times have we seen this in the tax software field? And I'd sure like to know why, in a recession, businesses aren't doing backflips for new orders, especially when the customer hasn't said a mumblin' word about price. Oh well, I'm ranting again.

Just for grins, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Sam. I agree with you about the lack of customer service. It's a case of too big, in my opinion. By the way, ATX no longer sells them, they show them on their product list, but then direct you to Nelco to buy them. I don't like Nelco, so I buy mine from CFS.

I'm with you, KC.....I like Nelco about as much as I like Intuit. (NOT) I do like the prices and service at Tenenz, however.