ATX Community

2009 ATX PROGRAM

TAXMAN

I got an email today saying they would start shipping next week. (no date, just "next week". ) But since Thanksgiving is also next week, I'm assuming they mean Mon or Tues. The email also says it will run on XP, Vista, and Win 7. I assume everybody else got the same message.

I'm looking forward to seeing the comments from you earlybirds so I can begin deciding whether to buy in December or wait until the first or second week of January.

Anybody know what the planned released date is? Thanks. Also anybody planning to run the program on the New Windows 7 version and if so which one?

I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and I have openned a few returns just to see if the program continued to work and it did. I did encounter one problem. I have two printers that are Brother Printers and they do not work with Windows 7. I went to the Brother Web Page and they have a long list of printers that do not currently work with Windows 7--they are expecting to have the drivers ready at the beginning of next month.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and I have openned a few returns just to see if the program continued to work and it did. I did encounter one problem. I have two printers that are Brother Printers and they do not work with Windows 7. I went to the Brother Web Page and they have a long list of printers that do not currently work with Windows 7--they are expecting to have the drivers ready at the beginning of next month.

Do you have the 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7? I am buying a new computer and have to decide between the two operating systems, and am wondering about the rollover process if I get the 64 bit, as well as the functionality with the 2007 & 2008 programs. I called ATX and they thought that the 2007 & 2008 would run on the 32 bit but not on the 64 bit. But since 64 bit is the 'wave o the future', and I keep computers a long time, I don't want to be obsolete right out of the gate if possible.

Do you have the 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7? I am buying a new computer and have to decide between the two operating systems, and am wondering about the rollover process if I get the 64 bit, as well as the functionality with the 2007 & 2008 programs. I called ATX and they thought that the 2007 & 2008 would run on the 32 bit but not on the 64 bit. But since 64 bit is the 'wave o the future', and I keep computers a long time, I don't want to be obsolete right out of the gate if possible.

I would be amazed if a program that runs fine in Vista 32 bit didn't work in Vista 64 bit. It may not be an officially supported platform, but I'd be willing to bet that it works just fine.

Every single 32 bit piece of software I use (that works in Vista) works perfectly in Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. If it MAX doesn't, they need to seriously get their $#!* together. The memory restriction on a 32 bit operating system alone is a huge reason to head to 64 bit as soon as possible. Computers with 4+ GB of RAM are becoming very common.

EDIT: I'm talking about software applications here. Hardware drivers (for printers, scanners, sound cards, cameras, etc) are a different story.

Every single 32 bit piece of software I use (that works in Vista) works perfectly in Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit.

I have a new computer with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 6GB ram 640GB-HD. It has 2 directories for programs, one as "Program Files" the other as "Program Files (x86)". I installed the ATX 2008 MAX program and by default it installed in "Program Files (x86)". ATX 2008 runs just fine on the new computer. I imported my client returns and all but one transferred and opened. The problem with the one was a spreadsheet form not installed. I am still trying to get that one figured out.

Loaded ATX 2009 on my XP Pro (SP3) desktop, this evening. Works fine, *there*.

BUT I'm leery about loading it on my new Win7 ThinkPad X200S (Ol' faithful died two days before Win7's release), because several attempts to get Win7 to recognize my network printers have been futile. My 1300 LaserJet was not one of HP's 'favored' 100+ printers, nor will Win7 recognize the PDF-printer add-on of my PIM.

Btw, anyone else notice that CCH/ATX has un-bundled "Asset History" from Asset Entry -- in order to require us to buy its *separate* Fixed-Asset Manager? That's a downgrade I resent.

VTY, TaxCPANY

Loaded ATX 2009 on my XP Pro (SP3) desktop, this evening. Works fine, *there*.

BUT I'm leery about loading it on my new Win7 ThinkPad X200S (Ol' faithful died two days before Win7's release), because several attempts to get Win7 to recognize my network printers have been futile. My 1300 LaserJet was not one of HP's 'favored' 100+ printers, nor will Win7 recognize the PDF-printer add-on of my PIM.

Btw, anyone else notice that CCH/ATX has un-bundled "Asset History" from Asset Entry -- in order to require us to buy its *separate* Fixed-Asset Manager? That's a downgrade I resent.

VTY, TaxCPANY

How much is this "Fixed Asset Manager" going to cost? I seriously need it.

I have a new computer with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 6GB ram 640GB-HD. It has 2 directories for programs, one as "Program Files" the other as "Program Files (x86)". I installed the ATX 2008 MAX program and by default it installed in "Program Files (x86)". ATX 2008 runs just fine on the new computer. I imported my client returns and all but one transferred and opened. The problem with the one was a spreadsheet form not installed. I am still trying to get that one figured out.

Thanks Jack, its hard to determine when the software co just says they 'wont support it' whether that means 'it won't work' or 'it probably will work, but we won't say that just in case it doesn't'. I'll order my new screaming fast system tonight then! and since my printer/scanner/fax is my main peripheral and is less than a year old, its unlikely HP won't have a new driver for it.

Ok. I haven't loaded my new program yet, because I am buried with fiscal year corps and old returns. Will ATX not longer compute depreciation for prior years, unless I purchase their fixed asset manager? I already purchase assetkeeper, but it doesn't integrate with ATX, so I only use it for a few clients. If this is true, I will have to look at both programs to see which will work the best for me. I'm sure as heck, not buying two of them.

Well, one thing is that you can, if you really need it for a particular asset, is go into the 08 program, in a blank return, and enter the asset there, as bought in 08, then print the history, and just edit the years to move them all up a year. Most of us don't use it except occasionally, I expect. If you really need it, often, then buying the fixed asset module may make sense anyway.

I installed the TTO program last week and everything worked fine. Upon reading this thread I attempted to open a corp. client to evaluate the depreciation. To my surprise, I got a message on all types of returns that I cannot proceed as I need to purchase pay per return licensing.

I called and was informed that the install codes were sent out incorrectly and they were good enough to provide me with the correct codes. I reloaded and guess what; the new codes didn’t work either. I suggested that they send me a new disk with the correct codes overnight and email them to me so I can load correctly. They said that they will comply.

In addition I addressed the depreciation issue and they confirmed that the history as well as the future was removed. I asked why we were not formally notified of this and had to find out as we go. They simply apologized. Reminds me of the CPE that used to be part of the package & subtly disappeared. I intend to follow up with an email to the CEO of CCH and let them know how dissatisfied all of us are.

I wonder if this is the case only with those that ordered from TRX?

They never cease to amaze me. I for one will be evaluating other options for 2010.

Please let me know if any of you encountered this issue.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

I have the 64 bit and had no problems.

Wow...I received my package and installed but really haven't looked much at it. It's bad enough that the history is gone but now the feature for next year, too? That has been helpful for several clients.

Mike, I have never had TTO before, only MAX. How do I get to the other features? The only icon on my desk is for the tax software. I don't even know what to look for. There is a good chance I won't even use anything else as I surely would not spend the money next year having managed fine for the past several.

I sent the following email to:

Attention:

Kevin Robert

CEO, Wolters Kluwer

Tax and Accounting

Riverwoods, IL

It has come to my attention that the ATX depreciation screen no longer the history and/or future planning capabilities for 2009.

As always you unilaterally took the liberty to simply remove these features without any prior notification whatsoever. It reminds me of the CPE feature that used to be part of the package & suddenly disappeared.

This is no way to treat your values customers! Had I been aware of this issue prior to renewal I may have decided to leave and purchase your competitors software. That should have been my option.

Since acquiring ATX you have successfully pissed off many of your customers by for example, removing the community bulletin board, raising prices, clandestinely removing features and attempting to charge additional for them, etc.

You should learn how to operate a service company and be open and honest with your core customers.

I hope you get the message and decide to reverse your decision and restore these features.

Thank you for your consideration

Michael M Dubin CPA

7 year customer

I have not received anything yet from ATX, although my account says it shipped the 23rd. Anyone else not received their program?

I have the same problem and called twice. They used the excuse about the holidays. I downladed from their website. The activation codes are there also. Itworked.