ATX Community

TRX THE ALLIANCE

TAXMAN

Did anyone receive in Email the TRX Push To buy 2009 now for $599 and get 2010 for free. Anyone hear about this?

Thanks

I got a call offering TRX something locked in for $299. i think it's the Red Gear product. Told 'em to call after 4/15 -- didn't even want to take the time to listen right now.

I'm probably going to stay with ATX. If not, I'll go with Drake over anything TRX is selling. I don't think they were totally honest with us last year, so I'm leery of doing business with them next year.

Agree with you, KC. If I stay with ATX, I wil deal exclusively with CCH. I was lucky last year, but I do not wish to push my luck.

I look at Drake every year. I hear such good things about their business model, their customer support; I like the fact that they have been in business for so many years and have not sold out to the big guys. But I just do not want to go back to an input sheet procedure and their forms input is still a very limited and unwieldy process.

Of course, all of this will be decided upon the price that CCH is going to want for ATX this year. If the price is too high, then I will switch.

Maribeth

I, too, consider this a bonus year. Depending on where CCH/ATX end up price wise next year, I will probably go to Drake. I was told by a sales rep last year, they were going to try and improve their form entry for next year. It is an effort to go after unsatisfied ATX customers. If I do switch,I just hope they can teach an old dog new tricks.

I went to one of Drake's sales seminars last year. The product seems solid, but the data entry is just not what we ATXers are used to. It seemed intuitive enough to work with. It was more like the ProSeries that I used for 5 years before switching to ATX.

I could make it work if I had to, but I still prefer ATX entry to Drake.

Had a sales call from another tax provider who just dropped into my office. They saw my name and location on this board and figured out which tax practice was mine. When I showed them what ATX does for me, they did not have the software to compete. They were basically selling a 1040 only package. It made me realize how much we actually get with MAX (even if CCH corporate sucks).

Tom

Lodi, CA

If I have to switch, it will be to Drake. I make a point of going to the Drake update seminar every year and they do make improvements I like every year. It's still not as intuitive as ATX and the data-entry-sheet format is definitely NOT my preference. OTOH, the ATX print function is a hopeless kluge that needs a re-design from the bottom up. It would be great to be able to set my OWN default print set - those checkboxes drive me nuts.

There are forms I use every year that Drake doesn't have, and I'd have to get another product for W-2's and 1099's -- so that cost has to be figured in to the equation, as well as the transition burbles. ATX dropping asset history sure makes a transition less terrifying, though.

But as far as the TTO product goes -- I have used NONE of the "extra" features -- so I'd stick with MAX as long as the price is reasonable. I figure this year I just got a good discount. But I wouldn't deal with TRX again.

I received a call from TRX too, and let voicemail pick it up. The message was that "we know you purchased ATX from us this year" then went on to offer the $699 package for $299. Left a number and extension to call back, which I didn't and won't. If I didn't know better, the message would have given me the impression they were offering ATX.

Wendy

If I didn't know better, the message would have given me the impression they were offering ATX.

Wendy

I received a call as well. He flat out told me they would NOT be selling ATX, but their own software for 299 (down from 699).

Eli

I have been with TRX for 2 years now, using TaxWise. I didn’t want to switch from ATX but when you don’t do that many returns and the price kept going up I had no alternative. I got used to TaxWise and found it does all that ATX does and have found all the forms I needed.

As for ATX, I can see that CCH is dropping one function at a time and making extra programs out th them, such as Asset manager. What function will be next?

As I see it if the majority of users that were skeptical last year when TRX was selling ATX and didn’t call ATX and bug TRX maybe all of you would have had ATX at a reduced price.

I liked ATX and used it for many years, but as Catherine said about the print function, as I see it, it will always be a slow process because it is a spreadsheet based program and there is no other way around it. Using TaxWise I enjoyed having the forms printing very fast.

TRX has lost the right to resell TaxWise this year, I guess CCCH figures it can keep all of TRX’s customers who were using it, but as for me I can’t see going back to paying $1,000 for a program when I can get one of $300.

I have looked ot TRX’s program except for the fact that it is not forms entry it is pertly good, and they informed me that they will have a forms entry feature for 2010.

Just got the 299.00 special price email from TRX. Offering the TRX PRO TW premium version for the 299.00 by

May 1st.

Called and was told: Not ATX, Not Tax Wise... No CCH products thru them this year. Too many problems between them and CCH. They have signed up with Tax Works (Red Gear) product for that price. Problem for me is that HRB purchased Red Gear a couple a years ago. I looked at the software then, didn't like it. Probably hasn't changed much since then; and I don't like the HRB in the back-ground--- used to work for them years ago--- don't want

any thing associated with them any more.

So I'll wait and see what offers I get from ATX and Drake this year. Discount was nice for the one year but I knew it couldn't last.

Taxtrio--- Well, back to work!!

You would not need another program for 1099's and W-2's. Included with drake is their writeup program in which you can do 1099 and w-2 on the fly. Or you can also setup full blown live or atf payroll. You can also efile W-2's and 1099's. Works great IMHO.

If I have to switch, it will be to Drake. I make a point of going to the Drake update seminar every year and they do make improvements I like every year. It's still not as intuitive as ATX and the data-entry-sheet format is definitely NOT my preference. OTOH, the ATX print function is a hopeless kluge that needs a re-design from the bottom up. It would be great to be able to set my OWN default print set - those checkboxes drive me nuts.

There are forms I use every year that Drake doesn't have, and I'd have to get another product for W-2's and 1099's -- so that cost has to be figured in to the equation, as well as the transition burbles. ATX dropping asset history sure makes a transition less terrifying, though.

But as far as the TTO product goes -- I have used NONE of the "extra" features -- so I'd stick with MAX as long as the price is reasonable. I figure this year I just got a good discount. But I wouldn't deal with TRX again.

You would not need another program for 1099's and W-2's. Included with drake is their writeup program in which you can do 1099 and w-2 on the fly. Or you can also setup full blown live or atf payroll. You can also efile W-2's and 1099's. Works great IMHO.

That's excellent; they didn't used to include it. Every year CCH pushes me a little closer to jumping to Drake.

Well I just have to say, that I switch to TRX this year. I have to admit that in the beginning I wished I hadn't but now that I have used their program I must say it is a good program. It might not be Drake but the cost is attractive. The only quirks is me getting used to inputs and making sure I know where they are and where the information is coming from. I have had a good enough year with them that I plan on renewing and taking advantage of the renewal offer for 299. This includes the business module without business e-filing which suits me just fine as I don't e-file any corp S-Corp, or Partnership returns.

I just got off the phone with Kimberly who assured me that the entire renewal price for the Premium Package, $699 version is only $299 if I purchase before May 1, 2010. In addition the $299 will be my renewal for the same package each subsequent year beginning in 2011. This is almost too good to be true.

I actually previewed their 2009 Premium Package, $699 version and although it took a bit of getting used to, it worked quite well. It is not a forms entry system, you enter data using schedules and can preview the actual returns as you enter.

This same package purchased directly from Redgear would be about $2,000 without RIA Research, Client Write Up w/ Payroll (TRX) or the DOCUMENT MANAGER.

I have posted my dissatisfaction with ATX this year and I will be purchasing the above for 2010.

Below I attached my previous correspondence with TRX for you perusal.

Good luck to all of you.

Mike Dubin CPA

THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE WITH THE RENEWAL AND THE ADD ONS THAT YOU WILL BE GETTING FOR 2010 AND AS LONG AS YOU RENEW BEFORE MAY 1ST.. THE PRICE WILL BE ONLY $ 299.00

All 1040 fed forms w/ Free Efile

All State 1040 forms w/ Free Efile

All Business forms w/Free Efile

All Entity Forms w/Free Efile

MULTY OFFICE MANAGER

RIA Research

Client Write Up w/ Payroll (TRX)

Fixed Asset Manager

DOCUMENT MANAGER

MARIBEL RAMOS

Tax Refund Xpress

224 West Main Street

Murfreesboro, TN 37130

1866-829-9777 MY EXT 2537

[email protected]

YES TAXWORKS IS MADE BY REDGEAR YES THIS SPECIAL IS ONLY TILL MARCH THE 31ST AND AS LONG AS YOU RENEW YOUR SOFTWARE BEFORE MAY 1ST EVERY YEAR YOUR PRICE WILL BE LOCKED IN EVERY YEAR FOR AS LONG AS YOUR WITH US IT WILL REMAIN THE SAME..

GIVE A CALL WHEN YOUR READY ….HAVE A GOOD DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 5:58 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: 2010 TaxWorks Order

You did not state the following:

This is Redgear, TaxWorks Software?

TRX has a long term relationship with Redgear, TaxWorks Software?

According to the solicitation to many users and our conversation, the renewal price for all listed was supposed to be $299, if ordered before March 31, 2010?

The future renewal price for the same package will be protected if reordered prior to the end of each tax season?

Thanks for the additional info.

Mike Dubin CPA

The offer I received in a e-mail from TRX said I had to order by May 1, 2010 (not March 31). I wasn't planning to evaluate their software until after 4/15. Do I need to jump on this sooner? I don't really need all the extra options. However, I may end up doing the occasional partnership and not having to pay extra would be great.

Do I really have to renew in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks

I am renewing as I write this reply. The software is by red gear or Tax Works. Other CPA's in my area are using it as well. This is an unbelieveable deal. It really doesn't take that much to get use to using imputs instead of working directly on the forms. I had the same concerns as others when it came to switching but I took the plunge and am glad I did.

I just got off the phone with Kimberly who assured me that the entire renewal price for the Premium Package, $699 version is only $299 if I purchase before May 1, 2010. In addition the $299 will be my renewal for the same package each subsequent year beginning in 2011. This is almost too good to be true. ...Mike Dubin CPA

I am with Mike, bought it 2 days ago. Don't really care about what happened last year, even if Red Gear is a Piece-O-Crap, the RIA research package alone is worth $299.99. Will review the software after season and if its not good, then I will also look for other tax software options, including paying CCH the inflated $1100 price for ATX, if they haven't finished programing their new software that is supposed to merge Taxwise and ATX into one product.

Oh, and one more thing Kleinrock Research Prods add 595.00 to the ATX package purchase price. So RIA at 1/2 that is a good bargain.

I have used both those products in the past as well as CCH, and BNA. Personal opinion is that RIA has just as much info and boils down technical issues into understandable English a whole lot better than CCH or Kleinrock!

Now tht said, Does anyone know if ATX is still selling their Zillion forms Package? It's mysteriously missing from the Product list and now I see an inflated price on there "Intelliforms " of $879.00 that I am wondering if this replaces Zillion Forms.

AND Still Not happy with CCH. Tech support takes forever to answer and when they do they have NOT ONCE THIS SEASON been able to resolve one of my issues! NOT ONE. Had to resolve them myself each and every time! ABSOLUTELY USELESS

Zillion forms has been folded into Intelliforms, whatever that includes. Don't have it, just overheard some CCH people talking behind a corporate display at a tax preparers' seminar in December. The product they were displaying was IntelliConnect, so Intelliforms was just mentioned in passing to someone else as now including Zillion forms.

So they rolled it in and basically doubled the price!

And PEOPLE CCH is starting to find ways to raise our prices in other ways too.

For instance they Debundled the fixed asset manager built into ATX. NO MORE HISTORY!

I for one am WAKING UP. Maybe it's time to say No to CCH?

I am with Mike, bought it 2 days ago. Don't really care about what happened last year, even if Red Gear is a Piece-O-Crap, the RIA research package alone is worth $299.99. Will review the software after season and if its not good, then I will also look for other tax software options, including paying CCH the inflated $1100 price for ATX, if they haven't finished programing their new software that is supposed to merge Taxwise and ATX into one product.

When did CCH say they're going to merge ATX with TaxWise?!?!

I see Drake in my future......