ATX Community

TRX THE ALLIANCE

TAXMAN

I ordered the 2010 TaxWorks Software Preimium Package with all of the addons that I referenced previously for $299 plus shipping.

For the record I have been using ATX with a network license and as such have about 4 or 5 users who are interested in purchasing the same. I was able to negotiate the same deal for all of them that wish to participate.

The way this is going, this board may become ATX & TaxWorks Community?

Best to all

Mike Dubin CPA

When did CCH say they're going to merge ATX with TaxWise?!?!

I see Drake in my future......

About a year ago I had spoken with a couple of the tech support people at ATX. they had indicated that CCh had a team of programmers working on a new low end (compared to there high end ProFX) tax software to replace both Taxwise and ATX and allow them to merge the user databases into one product. At this time I have not heard that they have abandoned this project.

Who knows;

1. It might be great,

2. It might SUCK

3. It might have the same pricing structure we are used to (although based on how CCH has been slowing debundling the software (again look at Fixed Assets) I doubt this. Still the are not Intuit and that is high Praise indeed.

4. It might be as expensive as all get out

I am sure many of you agree, ATX needs a rework and CCH would not be wrong in doing just that. It has become bloated, slow, and awkward. It has become difficult to find certain inputs, which are buried several levels deep, etc. And this is no fault of CCH or the ATX people, the software has outgrown its interface (Excel & Dbase)and needs to be revamped from the ground up. Kudos to CCH on this one.

Now the question is can CCH do it? Can they create a tax product that satisfies the two totally different types of user bases? Forms Based (ATX) and Input Sheet Based (Taxwise). I am actually betting they can, but not so sure I am willing to pay what they will want and have to charge to recoup the effort they are making in doing so. I am also betting the product will be compromises for both user bases.

So if I have to compromise anyway, why not look at TRX repackaged Redgear? For me it is a no brainer, I get a research package I want and need for 299.99 regardless of what other pieces of the Redgear product I use. And I get to call TRX with occasional Tax questions (which btw, they are not too good at answering - they have given me at least 2 wrong answers, and I was never able to get to the companies CPA for a more complete and Accurate answer in either of those cases. No call back. If you are reading this TRX that was Not Good TRX.)

Well as usual (when I get going) the long winded Atty in me has come out.

...Now the question is can CCH do it? Can they create a tax product that satisfies the two totally different types of user bases? Forms Based (ATX) and Input Sheet Based (Taxwise). I am actually betting they can, but not so sure I am willing to pay what they will want and have to charge to recoup the effort they are making in doing so. I am also betting the product will be compromises for both user bases....

We last used TaxWise in 2004 before switching to ATX. At that time, TaxWise was a forms based program, not input sheets. We switched because they were not responsive to complaints about how forms worked. We had tried Drake and did not like the input sheet based software. Did TaxWise change to input sheets?

We last used TaxWise in 2004 before switching to ATX. At that time, TaxWise was a forms based program, not input sheets. We switched because they were not responsive to complaints about how forms worked. We had tried Drake and did not like the input sheet based software. Did TaxWise change to input sheets?

Admit I never used it, so thx for the correction. I had looked at briefly one time and just remember not liking it. Guess I didn't quite remember it's interface.

Darn that Oldtimer's Disease!

I ordered the 2010 TaxWorks Software Preimium Package with all of the addons that I referenced previously for $299 plus shipping.

For the record I have been using ATX with a network license and as such have about 4 or 5 users who are interested in purchasing the same. I was able to negotiate the same deal for all of them that wish to participate.

The way this is going, this board may become ATX & TaxWorks Community?

Best to all

Mike Dubin CPA

I'll be honest; we need to discuss that as a possibility before it happens. Although there is a lot of "non-denominational" tax discussion here, we have always relegated discussion of other packages to its own section. I would be happy with that.

Was wondering if there will be a bridge from ATX to TRX. Not sure I want to start putting in all my depreciation again. Second thing that comes to mind, is if this is a networkable software like ATX for 3 users? Is March 31 a drop dead date? Do you buy the $299 program and get the $599 program in December? How would this software handle ROLLOVERS from ATX? I do not want to spend the hours redoing all. Any thought on this? Thanks :scratch_head:

Was wondering if there will be a bridge from ATX to TRX. Not sure I want to start putting in all my depreciation again. Second thing that comes to mind, is if this is a networkable software like ATX for 3 users? Is March 31 a drop dead date? Do you buy the $299 program and get the $599 program in December? How would this software handle ROLLOVERS from ATX? I do not want to spend the hours redoing all. Any thought on this? Thanks :scratch_head:

Not sure what they have as a conversion option. I will be looking over the software after 04/15. For me though I already bought it. Even if I don't use it as a tax prep option, the price for the research package alone is worth it.

As for the Drop dead date, you might want to call them and ask directly. I understand from someone else I sent their way, that they realized a 3/31/2010 date is unrealistic. I think they might have extended that date, but only until 04/30 or 05/31. Remember last year when they offered ATX so cheaply, everyone that sat on the fence did NOT get the DEAL! So almost certainly you will not be able to wait until 12/31/2010.

After all this discussion, I sent an e-mail to TRX asking for a demo disk. It arrived yesterday but I have not had time to look at it. I might get a chance this weekend to load it up and see what it looks like. That price is really tempting.

One thing we noticed this year is that without the Bank Products, we did much more fee collects. I need to find out what they are offering for next year. If they have something similar to fee collect or if you have to go with a bank.

Tom

Lodi, cA

I'm on the fence on this offer. ATX has gotten way too expensive for me .... considering I only do 50 - 75 returns, $700 is a big chunk of my revenue.

I downloaded the demo and had some system issues which were only resolved by doing a system restore and roll back to a date prior to the install. So I really havent had a chance to evaluate the demo as I dont need system problems during filing season. Has anyone else had windows issues with the demo install?

I just received the offer from TRX, good until May 1.

I am basically a one person operation with help only in assembling the copies that I mail back to my clients.

If I was to switch, my main reason would be for a program that is more efficient (spend less time on a return) then ATX, and did not cost more than ATX. Anything that makes preparing a return easier and faster then the process I currently have with ATX will win me over. I am not criticizing ATX, but if there is something that makes the tax prep process faster, software that is more intuitive (no pun intended), then I am ready for the change. Less time to prepare a return, edit the letter, manage the database, data entry, mailing labels are all important to me. AND I would love to be able to keep the forms input that is so nice about ATX.

I also have concerns with whether the program runs on Win 7; conversion of files to new software; and being able to run the program on 2 laptops and a desktop (stand alones ,not networked) - they are my backups, for the $299 price.

Take a look at Tax Act.

I used Tax Act when I first started my business and it's great for the price. Its' weaknesses (I still subscribe to the Tax Act newsgroup) remain part-year and non-resident returns.

You must buy the 1040 package separately from 1120, which is separate from 1065, etc. Haven't tried any fiduciary returns with them and don't know if they even support those. They don't support W-2 or 1099 preparation, to my knowledge.

But it's very much like ATX in the hop-from-line-to-field, it has excellent error checking, and decent tech support. Definitely worth a look.

Catherine

I just received the offer from TRX, good until May 1.

I am basically a one person operation with help only in assembling the copies that I mail back to my clients.

If I was to switch, my main reason would be for a program that is more efficient (spend less time on a return) then ATX, and did not cost more than ATX. Anything that makes preparing a return easier and faster then the process I currently have with ATX will win me over. I am not criticizing ATX, but if there is something that makes the tax prep process faster, software that is more intuitive (no pun intended), then I am ready for the change. Less time to prepare a return, edit the letter, manage the database, data entry, mailing labels are all important to me. AND I would love to be able to keep the forms input that is so nice about ATX.

I also have concerns with whether the program runs on Win 7; conversion of files to new software; and being able to run the program on 2 laptops and a desktop (stand alones ,not networked) - they are my backups, for the $299 price.

I have downloaded the demo, and it runs on my new Windows 7 64 bit computer.

When did CCH say they're going to merge ATX with TaxWise?!?!

I see Drake in my future......

I signed up today as well. Got them to extend the date till May 31st to give my more time to review the software. If I am not satisfied I can get a full refund.