ATX Community

Sorta not tax

JRS

Years ago, I made a policy of no returns or extensions after April 5. (April 1 would seem like a joke.) I finally achieved this two years ago. All my returns and extensions are done and I just finished my own taxes. The fruit of my decision came home today. My broadband died and cannot be fixed until Friday. God, I hate dial up. Fortunately, I have this as backup, but it will break if I stay on too long. Thanks to all for this year's questions and answers, it helps a lot.

I put in my client letters this year that anything received after 3/15 might go on extension and anything after 3/25 was definie. I have been working like a dog and am still not caught up. Too many complications this year. Thank God I fired some last year or I would be in more trouble. I already changed my letter for next year and moved the date to 3/13.

I usually begin filing extensions for anyting coming in around Mar 20, but this year I pushed the date back to Mar 8 because of an illness of an elderly family member who died Mar 24. I have about 40+ extensions filed and two returns (which are already on extension) to finish the morning of Apr 15 just because they're easy and the clients are close by. After lunch, I'll spend part of the afternoon reviewing all my extensions to be sure I didn't miss anyone, and then go out to dinner with my wife & some close frieds to celebrate the end of a very difficult tax season.

The nice thing about extensions is I'm not dog tired and still have plenty of work to do in the coming weeks, along with the income those returns represent. Tomorrow's just another normal work day for me, as is Friday the 16th. Thank God for extensions and for clients who don't mind getting them.

This was just a strange and difficult year. So many odd situations. So many amendments. Just so much time-consuming work that really didn't generate any satisfaction. I have never been this far behind and I had about an equal number of new clients; and clients who had either passed away or gotten married. On to bigger and better things after tomorrow.........such as sleep. Might just sit and stare into space for a while. The good side is that I can actually see about 1/4 of the top of my desk. Cannot see the floor, however. Papers and books everywhere.

We always have about 20 on extentions - some of those because of corps on extention. I knocked my socks off over the weekend to get everything done, so today it doesn't matter if ATX is down!! Gotta plan ahead for the software or internet NOT to work. We actually paper file any last minute extentions. I'd rather have the post mark than wait for the computer to confirm acceptance.

On to the 990s!

Every other year since I set a deadline of March 31, I've had all my returns & extensions filed by about the 8th or 9th. Last year I even finished up an extension that I figured, by the time I got all the info entered to determine if they owe, it was just as easy to run the darn thing. And since they are retired and live about 2 blocks away, could come in on a monday afternoon to pick up and sign.

Not now. I still have one extension to do. She owes, don't have her bank info for a direct debit, elderly with no cell phone and is away or busy or something on family business. Will have to file tonight, since I gotta get to my job. and I'm so tired & hormonal & frazzled (the other almost 50 year old ladies on this board can appreciate that one) that I can barely think straight. I'm bursting into tears at the drop of a hat. :(

My own return? I gave up on even finishing the bookkeeping months ago. extension filed a long time ago.

I LOVE extensions. Takes a lot of stress out of tax season and spreads work out over a much longer period of time. I have many of my clients pretty well trained to expect and appreciate extensions. I had a massive heart attack and spent 3 weeks in ICU almost 2 years ago. I have learned to not let stress get to me, although there were a couple of days last week where I began to feel a litle pushed. WE DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE STRESS! It's not worth it.

I have had a "no extensions - no excuses " policy for years - -even when I did 640 a year - - -it almost always worked - - -in 29 tax years - -I have filed less than 10 extensions.

I figure - -they have 100 days to get the info to me - -April 15th is the SAME DATE every year - -just like Christmas - - it NEVER changes ( with the exception of Patriots Day in MA).

Sooooooooooo - -here I sit - - - finished my last client this morning and just finished washing my car - -will actually get to go sit & start a BOOK on the porch - -sorry guys - -I don't mean to rub it in, but it's the first time in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time I can do that!

Good luck to all today!

yeah, last year all my stuff (extensions or returns) were filed early and I was sitting back and relaxing. this year...well I already mentioned. I also had and still have a pinched nerve which is screwing with my typing and has required doctors visits, heavy drugs and massage appointments which cut into my work time. I may be breaking out in hives as we speak. and I am at my JOB (which a lot of you don't have and requires me to be there at certain hours including 9-6 april 15.) and I still have outstanding acks. Oh and really bad cramps.

And I don't drink. And I quit smoking. still have some heavy drugs left though.

Mrs. Booger and I will be renting a cabin between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, TN for tomorrow through Sunday.

Gotta get "reacquainted" with the Missus (sorry, Catherine).

Booger

Booger, I hope you and the missus have a WONDERFUL time in your cabin, getting reacquainted. wub.gif

My husband and I each took some time off this morning to go off for rifle practice (league starts a week from Saturday, and the forecast for tomorrow and this weekend is for cold, windy rain - blech!).

After dealing with a few accounting client queries this afternoon, I just e-filed my last 4 extensions. All folks from whom I was expecting 8879's, but they didn't come in today's mail and they're all folks who don't really have access to a fax machine. So I am DONE!

Now I can turn my attention to prepping for my OIC meeting (still waiting to hear when, all I know for sure is that it will NOT be convenient), and a 90-day letter on an '07 return a new client just brought last night when she picked up her '09's. First I'd heard about an issue with 2007! Sigh. Came with a brand-new 4" high stack of paper records, too. I'm still taking my bike out of storage next week, AND planting my peas.

Then I'll look at my extended folks in early May and see how many I can polish off.

Catherine

My extensions are all in and am waiting for my last client to show up. I hardly ever file extensions, but this year was different in so many ways. Pushing myself to the limit, I could not have done any more returns than I did. The extensions are all ones that I have all the info for; just don't have the stamina to get them done today. And, that includes my own, as well as my bookkeeping for most of the year. I earned every dollar that I made and worked at another job at the same time. A week ago monday I turned in my request for termination at that job after 30 odd years. It feel like a big load is lifted from my shoulders. Now, I will have more time for MY clients and MY business and ME.......BTW, my license plate says it all!