ATX Community

State Registrations

Joel

Why do you need to register in NY if you are in FL?

New York may be the only state that requires registration of all paid preparers who prepare state tax returns for that state. A preparer who lives in NY but prepares only federal returns would not have to register with NY, but a FL based preparer who prepares NY state returns would.

[Exceptions for attorneys, EAs, CPAs; no fee for less than ten returns; $100 for 10 or over; qualifications to be determined at some point in the future; RAL facilitators must register in any case; etc.]

I know that New York requires a preparer who files any return to register. Registration is free for 10 or less returns and $100 is charged if over 10. That is true for paper returns. I think I read somewhere that if you efile with NY, there is another e-file registration. Is that the case?

No, based on what Don said previously.

All preparers (no EAs or CPAs) MUST register with NY. Registration is free if you prepare under 10 returns or $100 if more than 10. According to LION you can efile if you are register to efile with the IRS.

How about states that require separate efiling registration? I know NJ requires separate efiling registration. Any other states that require separate registration for prepering returns and for efiling?

RE NY:

I am an EA located in Florida that does five NY returns for compensation and six for family for free.

Do I need to register?

YES -- but I think you will qualify for the under-10 free registration, as you are paid only for five.

I do about 2 NY returns a year and so have to do the free registration nonsense. Need to go look up my login information so I can go online and do that.

Caterine