ATX Community

General Chat forum...

Eric

76 members have voted

1. 1. Should General Chat be split into two forums?

• Yes
    • No

I like the suggestion that someone made to do one Happy Birthday for all the birthdays that day. Some days it won't make much difference but there are some days that have three or four birthdays at a time, and doing one "Happy Birthday Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" would be more efficient without losing the personal feeling of this forum. If we worked in the same office, we would probably only have one birthday cake per day maximum even if someone had to share birthdays. :lol:

We're going to start having cake on the forum?

Great! I think I'll change my vote...

Poll seams to indicate we all really want one forum, but we have to acknowledge there are at least 30% of us that hate the water cooler and birthday posts.

Yeah, that's how it looks. I personally LIVE for the water cooler. The rant threads keep me going. And TAXBILLY's "Dear Client" thread last year was nothing short of THERAPY for me.

Ever try talking to your friends about the stuff we experience? They're like, "So, what you are saying is, it's not really a good thing to bring you all the grocery receipts for the year? It's kind of a problem to sort through them? And you can figure out which W-2 is mine and which is his without me telling you? Oh. OH..."

Due to a technical limitation of the database used to store all threads/posts/information for the community, I can't modify the forum search to work on short strings like that. Technically, it is possible to change the mySQL database setting to allow it, but it would really hurt search performance, and tax the server.

I have added a Google Search option at the top of the screen, which uses Google to search the site, instead of the internal forum search. No character limit is in place for the Google Search option.

I think if you do any new topic, "Birthdays, etc" would be the best name for the new one. But personally, I see no real need for that. And my guess is that it would probably not be used that much, if you did. Just think of the number of 'efile' questions that end up in 'General Chat' even tho there is a special forum for that.

Good to "see" you here again, KC. I hope all your family is well and that this year will be a healthy one for all.

Rita, I am like you. I have 2 monitors and this board is ALWAYS open on the right side. I check frequently and feel, as do you, the therapeutic effect as I sit here alone save for 3 hours on Monday mornings when my helper is here. I think if this board goes away (wasn't it about the worst withdrawal ever the last time?), it's time for me to retire!

Thanks to Eric for providing the space and to all who contribute in so many ways.

I was not going to reply, to keep down the "unnecessary" posts, then decided to do it this once just to say that I will try to skip the 'me too', 'I agree', and 'atta boy' posts in future. Unless it's just SO funny or apt that I feel COMPELLED to respond.

But thanks for all the nice posts about me that I have today resisted responding to. I do appreciate my friends on this board very much.

My problem with the birthday posts is that if there are a lot of them, an answer to a question or a thread I am following can get quickly pushed to page 2, where it is much more likely to be overlooked. This wasn't a problem in the past, but lately it seems most of the first page was birthdays. The other non-tax stuff is not quite as frequent. a thread starting off as tax and ending as banter isn't an issue IMHO.