ATX Community

NT quickbooks

grandmabee

Backup your data first, uninstall both years of QB, then reinstall the 1st version, update and open a company file. Shut down the computer, not a restart, install 2nd version of QB, update and open company file. This problem accured for the 2006/2007 version, script errors everywhere. QB eventually fixed it, but we couldn't have both years open at the same time, we had to open one year first, shut down the computer, turn back on of course, then open the other year, it work back then. I have been reluctant to upgrade to Windows 7 yet, because there is always software issues when a new operating program comes out.

There are some issues with versions older than QB 2010 on Windows 7. There is a QB support number for those issues, it is 800-574-7492. Just had to look some stuff up for a client this morning. Also see this link:

QB support articel

Oops; that should be article, not articel. Dylsectics untie!!

I talked to QB and found out that older verison later than 2010 does not support windows 7 or 64 bit. I should have checked on this before buying and loading....what a mess. now I need to know if anyone else is still running the QB earlier thatn 2010 on windows 7 and are there lots of problems? QB said it can be done but may be problems that can't help with.

thanks for any help. I at the point where I may just hook up my old computer and mess with this after tax season. Why or Why did I wait until January to get my new computer.

Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all mistimed some important tasks. Two years ago in January I thought it was the perfect time to switch to all cable for phone, tv and internet. I did (an angel was watching over me!) keep my fax line as a land line. Of course the very next week the cable lines were down for about 3 days and all I had was my fax line and cell phone. I immediately went back to the telephone company, throwing myself on their mercy. The csr felt so sorry for me she even gave me another $15 break on my internet service. I think they knew that the cable folks were increasingly competitive. But I learned my lesson - I think!

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I have QuickBooks back to 2008 installed on my computer without any problems whatsoever. I was unable to install 2007 and prior, but have those on older computers here in the office and have not needed them. Good luck! I have found that I really like Windows 7 so far, and I hope you do too.

Here is another option for those who have a 64-Bit computer, you can downgrade to 32-Bit Windows 7 and avoid all these problems you are having, most software from the past is created to run on 32-Bit computers, Microsoft in past had a XP 64-bit it it wasn't to successful. A 64-bit computer is overkill for an tax/accounting business, these computer are great for people who play video games, do video editing, photography etc... I did this for my nieces laptop, I bought Windows 7 Pro from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116756&cm_re=windows_7_professional_32-bit-_-32-116-756-_-Product and did a clean install, it actually loads and run faster then before.

Here is another option for those who have a 64-Bit computer, you can downgrade to 32-Bit Windows 7 and avoid all these problems you are having, most software from the past is created to run on 32-Bit computers, Microsoft in past had a XP 64-bit it it wasn't to successful. A 64-bit computer is overkill for an tax/accounting business, these computer are great for people who play video games, do video editing, photography etc... I did this for my nieces laptop, I bought Windows 7 Pro from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116756&cm_re=windows_7_professional_32-bit-_-32-116-756-_-Product and did a clean install, it actually loads and run faster then before.

so that program will make it a 32 instead of a 64 ? Do you just load in on top of what I already have?

I don't know if this will work, but you could try to run Quickbooks in emulation mode. You should be able to tell it to emulate XP. I did this for my ATX programs when I switched to Vista and then to Windows 7. I'm not on my PC right now (I'm on my Mac), but I think you right click on the program file and go to properties. I think there is an option somewhere for emulation. I don't know if it will work for a 64 bit / 32 bit conflict, but it's free and shouldn't really hurt anything. You can always change it back.

so that program will make it a 32 instead of a 64 ? Do you just load in on top of what I already have?

Your pc will still have a 64-bit Processor/CPU, however the operating system will be 32-Bit so you won't be able to install any software that is 64-bit, which for accounting/tax I don't think any exist in 64-bit. How long ago did you buy this computer? Maybe you can return it and after you restore the PC to it's originally state or exchange for a Windows 7 32-bit computer, I don't why manufactures are selling PC that have a 64-Bit processor if most programs run a 32-bit systems. But this is what you would have to do incase you do decided to downgrade.

1. Backup all you data and have all the programs handy because you will need to reinstall them.

2. Purchase the 32-bit Windows 7, I recommend the professional version.

3. Put the disk in and shut down the computer.

4. Turn on computer and it should boot from the disk (fyi this will be what is called a clean install, you will loose everything that was on the computer before. DON'T CLICK ON UPGRADE

5. Then you will just follow the directions/instructions on the screen

6. Once installed, go to the computer manufactur to download drivers for your computer, but Windows 7 pretty much works after it installs, sound, video, unless you have a webcam then you will need the drives.

7. Also make sure you download the latest updates from microsoft.

8. After all is done, you can start installing your programs.

Please see these two videos:

Any computer shop can do this for you, but you save $ if you do it yourself. PM in you have any other questions.

Marco

How old do you need to have your QuickBooks? I am running on 64 bit with the Windows 7 Ultimate, and I have had no problems with versions of QuickBooks back to 2008 (which I use almost daily,) I could not get 2007 to install so I did not even try with older versions, but I really think this might not be as big a problem as support is making it.

How old do you need to have your QuickBooks? I am running on 64 bit with the Windows 7 Ultimate, and I have had no problems with versions of QuickBooks back to 2008 (which I use almost daily,) I could not get 2007 to install so I did not even try with older versions, but I really think this might not be as big a problem as support is making it.

2008 and 2009 are the two most I am using. I do have one client that uses pro 99 and had that on computer just to do her year end. But I get the script error all the time. I guess I am going to try reinstalling and see what that does. I have to finish all my payroll reports and W-2's. think I am going to re install first and hope my data files are not lost.

2008 and 2009 are the two most I am using. I do have one client that uses pro 99 and had that on computer just to do her year end. But I get the script error all the time. I guess I am going to try reinstalling and see what that does. I have to finish all my payroll reports and W-2's. think I am going to re install first and hope my data files are not lost.

Most new versions of QuickBooks will update and then run a data file from an older version. If you are not giving this client her data file back (less likely, as her version way pre-dates the "accountant's copy" facility), then why bother to keep the oldest version?

Try making a copy of her data file and opening the copy with a new version of QB -- worst that happens is that you ruin the copy. At best, you'll find you don't have to do computer gymnastics at the Olympic level.

Thanks for all the help everyone.....but I gave up after 3.5 days not getting anywhere with my year reports etc. I hooked up the old computer and going strong. I will start over in May and tell my clients as they come this year that the earliest year I will be using is 2010 or 2011 if the bugs are worked out by then. Not only was I having quickbooks problems but printing problems as well with windows 7.