ATX Community

PINs

ILLMAS

If an ERO creates or automatically generates a PIN you must give a copy of the form 8879 to them. Do you give a copy to your clients? I create the PIN based on the day the TP signs the form, but never give them a copy, I just retain it for my records.

I've never given a client a "to keep" copy of the 8879 -- I'm supposed to keep it, in my files (and readily accessible), for three years. With MA's new confidential information rules, I can't even give clients a copy of their own TAX return with their SSN's on it (just X's) - and what use would an 8879 full of X's be to anyone?

Are you serious that MA prevents a preparer from giving a client a copy of their own tax return with their ssn's? If they are mailing a return, is it allowable to have the ssn's on it (she asked almost facetiously)? I have one client in MA so I guess I better brush up on this, uh, sensible regulation. I hope it is readily found on the MA website.

I've always* given a copy of the 8879 to the client after they (and I) signed it And, yes, it's the copy with the full SSN on it.

* at least the last couple of years. Previously my remote signers may or may not have had a copy with my signature.

I've always* given a copy of the 8879 to the client after they (and I) signed it And, yes, it's the copy with the full SSN on it.

* at least the last couple of years. Previously my remote signers may or may not have had a copy with my signature.

I give all my clients a copy of the 8879 complete with my signature but not theirs. I keep the original with my file and with their signatures. I consider the 8879 part of return. so when I give them a complete copy of the return its included

I give all my clients a copy of the 8879 complete with my signature but not theirs. I keep the original with my file and with their signatures. I consider the 8879 part of return. so when I give them a complete copy of the return its included

Exactly the same here.