ATX Community

Sch A Efiles on hold

Randall

With the delay to file returns with Sch A, how are you tagging returns completed so you don't miss transmitting any at Feb 14? ATX won't let me create the efile. I was going to use my Efile Manager list to keep track of these. Now it looks like I'm going to have to wait until 2/14, go into the return, create the efile, then transmit.

I have been telling my people to come back on Feb 14 and I told them that no one with itemized deductions will be able to file their taxes before St. Valentine's day.

I was happy that a guy who doesn't sign returns and he prepares schedule A for everyone with prefiled child care and/or non-cash donations was not going to be able to get my clients. My thought was, since he doesn't efile, he will be out of business for the first month and I WILL BE efiling my clients since a few of them itemize. I was wrong. The guy and his workers are running at full force and printing returns and telling people to mail them. What will the IRS do when they get this returns before the 14th? They go in a pile anyways and they will be processed in a couple of weeks. While I am telling my people to come back on Feb 14th, this guy is finishing all returns. My clients think I am a lier and people are picking up their papers and going there.

What do you think the IRS will do if they get a return with schedule A today? Remember, that preparer doesn't efile or sign the returns. The max that will happen is that the return will be returned.

I think the IRS should NOT have posted Schedule A on their website until Feb 14. They should NOT allow software developers to have sch A approved until that date. I believe my competetion got a hand from the IRS this year.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the software companies were able to accept the returns and not transmit them until the 14th. I have prepared returns with the Sch A but have not tried to transmit them. I am using TRX so I don't know if I will be able to create the e-file or not. But, I plan on trying and I certainly would not turn a client away and tell them to come back later. I would and have explained the situation to my clients that NOBODY can file this type of return. However, I can complete their return and will be happy to transmit it as soon as I can and they don't have to come back. They sign and date the 8879 alont with any other forms and are happy. If your clients are loyal, they will be in your office and not someone elses.

You could use one of the columns in Return Manager to indicate. I use the Client# column (I don't use client numbers) and have a code E=efiled, EP=efiled and printed (if needed), P=paper return, etc. I think you may be able to rename and/or add a column and you can move around the order, too.

Thanks. That's what I decided to do. I don't use my Client# column either. I just put 2/14 in so I'll know which ones are in that category.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the software companies were able to accept the returns and not transmit them until the 14th. I have prepared returns with the Sch A but have not tried to transmit them. I am using TRX so I don't know if I will be able to create the e-file or not. But, I plan on trying and I certainly would not turn a client away and tell them to come back later. I would and have explained the situation to my clients that NOBODY can file this type of return. However, I can complete their return and will be happy to transmit it as soon as I can and they don't have to come back. They sign and date the 8879 alont with any other forms and are happy. If your clients are loyal, they will be in your office and not someone elses.

It doesn't appear that ATX allows us to create the efile, much less transmit it to ATX.

I use TRX and have already e-filed 2 returns with schedule A.

What is happening is they are going to IRS and IRS is holding them until the 14th and then will process them.

I can't understand why ATX will not allow you to create the e-file. It is not the schedule A that is not accepted it is the other forms that flow into the schedule A.

I don't understand why any preparer would tell clients to come back, prepare the return, print the 8829 have them sign it and e-file it when ATX finally lets you do it.:spaz:

A very hoppy TRX user. :D

I'm doing it the same as Terry. I wouldn't tell clients to go away.

I sent my letter out in early January to all of my clients eith with or without an organizer. I informed them at that time of the situation and told them that not only could I not file some of their returns early; neither could anyone else. The response has been heartening. All clients have been very receptive to the "wait" issue. They are booking appointments as usual. I almost get the feeling that some of them feel relief from the pressure of having to get everything together quickly. Those who could be filed have been and many should be expecting their DD this Friday. So far, I am feeling less pressured also. Have had a steady flow of clients in person and by mail and so far so good. No, I would never tell a client to leave and come back later.

I use TRX and have already e-filed 2 returns with schedule A.

What is happening is they are going to IRS and IRS is holding them until the 14th and then will process them.

I can't understand why ATX will not allow you to create the e-file. It is not the schedule A that is not accepted it is the other forms that flow into the schedule A.

I don't understand why any preparer would tell clients to come back, prepare the return, print the 8829 have them sign it and e-file it when ATX finally lets you do it.:spaz:

A very hoppy TRX user. :D

It is not IRS that is holding the returns , it is TRX. IRS is not accepting any returns with Sch A.

All of my clients have been very understanding. I complete the returns as usual, give them an approximate time they will be filed, approximate time to expect the refund (with a warning not to spend the money till they actually see it in their account) and tell them that if anything changes or that if we get the ok to send earlier I would inform them. They are ok with that.

As for loosing business, this year I am already 48% ahead of last year at this time, with several new clients coming in today. I have never been this busy so early. I just hope it keeps up and I am able to keep up with it. :spaz:

What am I doing wrong? I tried to creat an efile for a return with a schedule A so that there would be DCN # on the 8879. I printed that return for the client to sign tomorrow and will file when able. Then I created an efile for another client that CAN be filed tomorrow and it gave the same DCN# that it had given the prior return, thus making it impossible for me to have my client sign the 8879 tomorrow and still have the same DCN# when I finally can file it. What is going on? Thanks if anyone knows what procedure I am missing.

What am I doing wrong? I tried to creat an efile for a return with a schedule A so that there would be DCN # on the 8879. I printed that return for the client to sign tomorrow and will file when able. Then I created an efile for another client that CAN be filed tomorrow and it gave the same DCN# that it had given the prior return, thus making it impossible for me to have my client sign the 8879 tomorrow and still have the same DCN# when I finally can file it. What is going on? Thanks if anyone knows what procedure I am missing.

I don't think you are doing something wrong.

I know how computers work and to avoid issues like this, I am scheduling appointments for Feb 15 for all my clients who have houses and use schedule A. I have schedule someone for Feb 13th because he is traveling on the 14th. That's the only exception I am making. I do not want this to become a nightmare for me at the end of Feb.

Yes, my clients are dropping their documents but I am not asking them to sign anything until I am ready (allowed) to efile.