ATX Community

To "Hold" or "Not to Hold" -- That is the question!

Yardley CPA

Just wondering if you "Hold" state returns when efiling or just transmit Federal and State at the same time?

Since we aren't piggyback this year, I hold the state until I get the Fed ack. Turned out to be a good thing for one return so far. Already had filed Fed and waiting for ack; client sends me another 1099. By having held state, that limits me to one amendment instead of two.

I hold the state return until I get the Federal ack, in case there's a problem. Until ~ April 10th, when I just stuff 'em all through as fast as I can.

Once or twice a season the Federal gets rejected (mostly for something the client forgot about) and I can fix the state before the initial filing.

The reason why I hold it is because of little issues like the ones mentioned above. After carefully thinking about it, there is no reason to hold the state, except for a forgotten W-2 or 1099. If the IRS will reject a federal, let's say for ss# matching, it will reject the state also. I was affraid that the 1040 was going to be rejected and the state would go through but I don't find an example when that could happen.

The reason why I hold it is because of little issues like the ones mentioned above. After carefully thinking about it, there is no reason to hold the state, except for a forgotten W-2 or 1099. If the IRS will reject a federal, let's say for ss# matching, it will reject the state also. I was affraid that the 1040 was going to be rejected and the state would go through but I don't find an example when that could happen.

In California it is a problem because they do not require the social security number of dependents on the return. So there has been situations were an error was made on the federal, but because the state is less sensitive they accepted it and I had to ammend.

Doesn't happen often, but this is a good way to prevent it.

Deb!