ATX Community

any way to restore a file you deleted?

schirallicpa

Is there a secret hiding place these go to that they can be retrieved?

I thought I was being efficient and cleaning up duplicate files. Unfortunately, it was a planning file that I had done in early Jan, and hadn't printed out my critical stuff. How 'bout it.

When you delete a file from within an application, such as ATX, it will be difficult to bring back to a level meaninful to you.

In other words, you could bring the file back to life but you will not be able to force ATX to add it to its data base of names (file manager where we double click to open returns).

When a file is deleted, the OS flags that space on the hard drive as ready for occupancy. You can recover that file if you realize soon enough that you made a mistake. As you save new files or install new programs, the spots flagged as ready for occupancy are written over. Since you have saved many other files since January, you don't have a chance recovering that file.

Keep in mind that nothing gets deleted permanently but that's beyond the scope of our lifes and budget.

Actually - I deleted it this pm

I would check in the recycling bin. Mine is a shortcut on my desktop. Somethings I delete goes there, sometimes however as was previously stated are permantely deleted. If it's in the recycling bin, all you need to do is click on it and choose restore.

I hope this is the case for you.

Deb!

Did you have a back of the database prior to yesterday? Install on another computer and copy the database folder. Open the program and then backup the return you deleted and restore on your work computer.

If you rolled over this file, you could roll it over again.

Using a recover program, you could recover the file but ATX will not be able to show it to you.

This is another perfect example of the importance of constantly backing up information. I too learned this valuable lesson the hard way. If your machine backs up to an online source, you may be able to retreive a copy of the file that you deteled there. If you have a backup such as an external HD or to a CD, you may be in luck. Otherwise, I don't see any other way. No back up no chance of restoring. Sorry

Isn't there a backup folder somewhere? I know that every time I close the program for the day, I see ... backing up ## files..... Won't hurt to look for that folder.

Yes, the file attached to my previous post shows how to get to the backup returns.

During tax season, the last thing I do everyday is copy the ATX backup file onto a flash drive (which is encrypted). I take it home and bring in a 2nd flash drive the next morning. I alternate the two flashdrives. I do the same with two external HDs (encrypted) to backup everything, but not as frequently.

During tax season, the last thing I do everyday is copy the ATX backup file onto a flash drive (which is encrypted). I take it home and bring in a 2nd flash drive the next morning. I alternate the two flashdrives. I do the same with two external HDs (encrypted) to backup everything, but not as frequently.

Awesome idea!

thanks

Given how cheap flash drives are today, it makes good sense to have at least 3 or more, and back up to them in rotation, every night when you shut down the program. You will sleep a lot better! Of course, you take them home with you, and drop them into your small inexpensive fireproof lock box, each night.