ATX Community

And then there were Three . . .

jasdlm

Woohoo! Going to do the last 3 at a leisurely pace tomorrow. Have 4 that are complete except 1 missing piece each where I am waiting on the client (and quite tired of hassling them).

Monday of last week I thought I wasn't going to make it . . . but now, I'm going to take the rest of the evening off :).

Hope everyone is starting to feel a pressure release!

I'm still working on the extensions. I am so fried I don't even want to think about them. I think I got the next to the last return done, but still need to look at it with clearer eyes than I had last night (or have right now). One more for the kid across the street-he has 3 W2s so I might be able to handle that.

I have one extension to work up, or I might actually get the return done if I'm not missing info on that client's rental activity. I'll get the extension either way to give some time for the client to pickup and to efile.

I ended up with only 8 extensions, all but one because of incomplete data.

I've already started working to catch up on some accounting, planning for business clients with upcoming fiscal year ends, and first quarter payroll filings.

Got the extensions done (almost). The toughest part of the extensions is for those who need to send in a payment. Then there are the local business extensions who don't automatically accept the Fed extension and they want a payment with the extension. I can barely get anything done the last few days. Just of gas.

Not there yet. Huge partnership plus the h/w returns with thousands of trades. Broker's Excel spreadsheet to import in past years made it a breeze, but spreadsheet is a mess this year. One more normal set of returns. And, a huge amount of extensions. Federal and NY I e-file, but CT has to be on their web site. The two that need lots of computations on amounts to send, I finished before I went to bed and emailed them extension forms with amounts to mail. Hubby delivering lots of returns today to get signatures, so I'll be e-filing a lot tonight. And, I'm e-filing trusts for the first time and have concerns about name control; expect to spend Monday on hold with the IRS getting their names straightened out. Long three days left.

Yes, a long three. We left town so I could get some serious work done without interruptions. Have my favorite Priest client spread all over my kitchen table. He's not a terribly organized guy, but devotes his life to service, so what can I say. He thinks that I am the peak of infallible. I ask him for a blessing every time he stops in. He brings me Pierogi and Polish Sausage. I advertise in his bulletin. (The only advertising that I do.) Have two more businesses that HAVE to be finished and several extensions including my own. Crazy world, crazy life, but I wonder what I would do without it........so am putting an addition on my home office. Blueprints came in last Thurs.

By the way, wonder what I would do without all of you. Thanks for all the help and even thanks to Jainen for the subtle scoldings. Love you all.

• Like 2

That partnership plus H/W, they put W-2s for their sons in their folder! I wasn't expecting two more returns. Darn. And, as many times as I told them NOT to have CT withholding for students, offered to help them fill out W-4s, there's CT W/H requiring CT returns too. Darn. And, the family with 13 returns, doesn't know when the wife will be home to sign, and another hasn't returned my calls. I took too many new clients this year, but February looked so empty until the last week when all my old clients dropped off in the same week!

• Like 1

I was working on two computers last night-printing returns from one and doing extensions on the other. Another long slog, and for me, it's lots of RDP clients for which I have to do three returns to figure out if they owe on any or not. And some of them are new and need to be set up. Another very long 3 days for me.

Pretty much finished here. 51 extensions filed (and maybe 3 or 4 stragglers - they will be added to the list if they show up in the next couple of days). After reviewing extensions, I'll circle back and finish a few of those already on extension if I feel like it. Or just go home early the next couple of days, since they're just another day around my office.

I'll always be grateful to the person who taught me years ago to begin filing those extensions AS THEY COME IN THE DOOR beginning mid-March. Especially this year, since a death in the family prevented me from working most of this weekend. Any of can have unexpected circumstances pop up - it's well worth the effort to hedge your bets with the extension.

Best of luck to everyone still racing that clock. Hope everything goes according to schedule for you over the next couple of days.

I have .675 returns left to do. Waiting on an explanation for a 1099MISC, and in 20 minutes tomorrow CAUGHT UP!! Anyone else that calls get a special "last minute" pricing schedule! Just sent my own return yesterday... First time since 1984 I had to pay Fed, State, School. My last tax deduction graduated college in 2010! Changes in estimates are ahead!

John -- my sympathies.

I filed all my extensions last Thursday, as Gwen was in the faculty dance recital at college this past weekend. We left mid-day Friday (after seeing a couple more clients) and got back late last evening. One more picked up earlier today (arrived very late due to parades and militia chasing Redcoats around here), and one more still to come. Got ours filed Friday before we left.

This year has gone more easily than some, and then there were some bone-stupid mistakes that didn't get caught. Latest one folks emailed me over the weekend wondering why I hadn't sent them their e-file acceptances. Well, I did. On April 4th. Turns out they gave me their new address wrong; NORTH Town, not Town. They didn't catch it on the returns. So e-file acceptances went to the wrong place. So will their refund checks. The same street address exists in Town as in North Town - NOW what do I do? (Besides send them change of address forms to send in, pronto!)

Yes, a long three. We left town so I could get some serious work done without interruptions. Have my favorite Priest client spread all over my kitchentable. He's not a terribly organized guy, but devotes his life to service, so what can I say. He thinks that I am the peak of infallible. I ask him for a blessing every time he stops in. He brings me Pierogi and Polish Sausage. I advertise in his bulletin. (The only advertising that I do.) Have two more businesses that HAVE to be finished and several extensions including my own. Crazy world, crazy life, but I wonder what I would do without it........so am putting an addition on my home office. Blueprints came in last Thurs.

By the way, wonder what I would do without all of you. Thanks for all the help and even thanks to Jainen for the subtle scoldings. Love you all.

Hey,mcb39,

When I next get to Wisconsin (to see a relative and meet the new client there who entrusted his returns to me to prepare based on a referral and a couple of phonecalls), could I sponge some of your client's pieroga & sausage? No hacker could crack my mother's maiden name, nor any non-Pollack know how to pronounce it.

Already anticipating the Great Escape from Tax Season!

Did I mention that my Priest client was born and raised in Poland? So, yes, his offerings are the genuine stuff. My mother's Polish name was short also, but her mother's wasn't. That is a great idea for a password. My Grandparents were married on what is now called "Veterans Day". Grandma always said that one war ended that day and another one began. That wasn't true, though, because at 69 years of marriage, they were still holding hands and he was wiping the dishes for her. I love and miss them terribly. I tell everyone that my Polish half is my best half.

I was contacted a few years ago by a cousin on my maternal grandfather's side; my grandfather died before I was born, and I didn't know anyone from that side. She has been doing geneology, and last year visited Poland and met up with distant cousins there. My sister and I would like to make that trip too. Since we do have a copy of my great-grandfather's baptismal certificate, I have a lot of info from where he was from...the certificate gives the town he was baptized in, the village where he actually lived, his father's profession (glassworker), and luckily, my great aunt translated it before she died!

My sister speaks a smattering of Polish and has given me the language course she had..maybe soon I'll actually have time to take it!

That is so cool. I have my Grandparent's wedding invitation; much the worse for wear.; as well as their wedding picture. But the best part is all the warm and fuzzy memories of time spent at "Grandma's House." I tried to give that same feeling to my only Granddaughter and it seems to have taken. Now, at 26 and married, she still calls me and keeps me updated on what is going on in their lives; and her husband does the same. He actually stopped and showed me her engagement ring before she saw it, but she doesn't know that. My two most important roles in life right now are being a Good Grandma and helping people prepare a correct and beneficial tax return. I don't try to be a "good wife" during tax season, but I do love my husband after nearly 52 years of marriage so my Grandparents must have been good role models for me.