ATX Community

Registered for the RTRP exam

Janitor Bob

I am getting really nervous about the RTRP test tomorrow.....I have not taken a test since college 20 years ago....and even then I had terrible test anxiety and would do poorly on tests even when I knew the material. I have been studying every night for over a month and took a review course. Wether I pass or not, I still do not feel that a timed computer test is an adequate test of preparer competency...it is more of a test on how well we take tests and guess

• Like 1

I am getting really nervous about the RTRP test tomorrow.....I have not taken a test since college 20 years ago....and even then I had terrible test anxiety and would do poorly on tests even when I knew the material. I have been studying every night for over a month and took a review course. Wether I pass or not, I still do not feel that a timed computer test is an adequate test of preparer competency...it is more of a test on how well we take tests and guess

Are you going to Beavercreek Ohio to take the test? Relax! If you brushed up on Circ 230 a bit, you will do fine.

TIP: When a question seems really mundane, ambiguous or silly, IT IS!! Don't overthink those.

You have all the knowledge you need. Just show the IRS that fact.

FYI, I have taken the three E.A. tests. Passed 2 and working on the third. The RTRP test is a CAKEWALK!!!!

You can do this!!

• Like 1

Thanks Jack! Yes, I am going to BeaverCreek tomorrow (11:00am)...any tips or suggestions? The review course I just finished (Fuller) did a pretty thourough review of 1040, and circ. 230....I actually learned a few things!

Most of the practice exam questions I missed were either due to overthinking like you mentioned or due to not reading thoroughly and missing an important word such as "not".

What I am worried about are qustions for which I need to use the references (Pub 17, 1040) and how much time I will waste finding what I need. I plan on spending time tonight looking up items on the on-line pub 17 and 1040...as opposed to the paper versions I am used to.

• Like 1

A simple suggestion or two. Go through the entire test before you go back and research any answers. In that way you will ensure you get through the entire test and will be able to maximize the results. Secondly, 95% of the time your first answer is the correct answer. Don't over think the questions or answers. I took the test and did not miss a question using the above procedure (well, they didn't say I missed any, at least:>)

• Like 1

I echo everyone else's comment. I was so nervous when I went to take my test, first several questions in I had serious doubts if I would be able to complete it in time, but went on answering ones I knew for sure then went back and researched. I actually found it a bit easier to find some answers using the instruction for the 1040 verses the publ 17. The questions concerning circular 230 that gave me the hardest time, I just asked my self what seemed the logical answer, what would I do if presented with this issue and I guess I did ok because I got the congratualtion letter when I finished, and the pretty certificate 10 days later.

We all will be thinking of you and the rest who are scheduled to take the test!

Deb!

Janitor Bob -- you will do just FINE.

Read questions carefully -- look for those "not" words and make sure you understand what is actually being asked as opposed to what you think, at first glance, is being asked.

Go with your gut/first answer. When I did the EA practice tests, EVERY question I went back, re-visited, and changed -- was right the first time.

Some numbers from the IRS about testing, for those waiting to take the test:

Number of PTINs................................................................450,000

Tests taken as of August 2012.........................................100,000

People needing to test before December 31, 2013......350,000

Limited number of testing facilities that test for thousands of other certifications. You do the math. Stop waiting! If you wait till July, you may not get a testing date. IRS is already saying that December 31, 2013 will NOT be extended. (I will politely disagree, only time will tell)

GET GOING AND TAKE THE TEST!!!!

It was pretty basic stuff

Isn't that the truth? I was a total basket case for three days before the test. As soon as I got into my cubicle and started out I calmed right down. The nice part was that I knew the stuff and what I wasn't sure of was easily researched or just plain common sense. Congratulations!