ATX Community

PTIN renewal time

ILLMAS

Received an email from the IRS reminding me about renewing my PTIN, there is a question to see if you have met the 15hr of CPE, prorated for anyone passing the RTRP exam after 01/31/12, and towards the end of the application you get message refering to Cir. 230 and letting you know if need hours still. Anyone else renewed?

I renewed last night also. Nothing about proration that I remember. It does ask "have you or do you intend to comply with the 15 necessary hours by 12/31. I am taking mine in November so I answered "yes" and renewal went through just fine. Even printed me out a little ID card this time.

The system would not allow my wife to renew until she signed up for the RTP exam. What a crock of $h1t. It is not a requirement to pass the exam until next year. She is CTEC certified and should be allowed to renew her PTIN.

I love my country, but I am really starting to hate my government. Time for a revolution.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

I agree with you Tom.. I know that there are bad preparers out there that need to be controlled but this is exactly what I expected would be the result of giving the IRS total control over who can prepare returns. It would have made so much more sense for them to just crack down on the bad actors, but they could not resist an excuse to take control of ALL preparers. Then, because that is a huge number of people, they use automated systems to administer the rules. So you get stupid situations such as yours, where the 'automated' system is mis-programmed, but there is no recourse except to live with it.

• Like 1

OK, here is my crazy idea. I am actually thinking about approaching my congressman with this idea, but I will pass it to you guys to rip apart first.

The OPR should become an independent body within the department of Treasury (modeled after the Taxpayer Advocate system) in which there is an independent body who sets the rules for practice before the IRS in all matters of taxation. The Secretary would not have authority over this body. The OPR would set compentency, ethical and licensing requirements for BOTH practictioners and IRS employees (auditors and revenue officers). It would resolve practice disputes between the IRS and the preparer community. It would handle discipline of BOTH practitioners and IRS employees.

Why do we need this? Because the Secretary has too much authority over the practitioner community. In our adversarial relationship with the government, it makes no sense to allow one side to be able to force the other out of business with administrative authority with no due process to an independent arbitrator. Imagine if the district attorney Lawyers in this country could have the authority over the Defence attorneys to license and administer the rules of their practice? But that is what the Secretary has over us. He can pull our PTIN with any reason (see my post above re: my wife's PTIN renewal). There is a mechanism where the auditors can complain about bad practitioners, but not one for practioners to complain about bad IRS employees.

So, what do you think. Would you prefer an independent body in Treasury that controlls the practice on both sides, or the system we have now?

Fire away - I am a big boy, I can take it.

Tom

Hollister, CA

"I agree with you Tom.. I know that there are bad preparers out there that need to be controlled but this is exactly what I expected would be the result of giving the IRS total control over who can prepare returns. It would have made so much more sense for them to just crack down on the bad actors, but they could not resist an excuse to take control of ALL preparers. Then, because that is a huge number of people, they use automated systems to administer the rules. So you get stupid situations such as yours, where the 'automated' system is mis-programmed, but there is no recourse except to live with it. "

"OK, here is my crazy idea. I am actually thinking about approaching my congressman with this idea, but I will pass it to you guys to rip apart first.

The OPR should become an independent body within the department of Treasury (modeled after the Taxpayer Advocate system) in which there is an independent body who sets the rules for practice before the IRS in all matters of taxation. The Secretary would not have authority over this body. The OPR would set compentency, ethical and licensing requirements for BOTH practictioners and IRS employees (auditors and revenue officers). It would resolve practice disputes between the IRS and the preparer community. It would handle discipline of BOTH practitioners and IRS employees.

Why do we need this? Because the Secretary has too much authority over the practitioner community. In our adversarial relationship with the government, it makes no sense to allow one side to be able to force the other out of business with administrative authority with no due process to an independent arbitrator. Imagine if the district attorney Lawyers in this country could have the authority over the Defence attorneys to license and administer the rules of their practice? But that is what the Secretary has over us. He can pull our PTIN with any reason (see my post above re: my wife's PTIN renewal). There is a mechanism where the auditors can complain about bad practitioners, but not one for practioners to complain about bad IRS employees.

So, what do you think. Would you prefer an independent body in Treasury that controlls the practice on both sides, or the system we have now?

Fire away - I am a big boy, I can take it.

Tom

Hollister, CA "

Have you seen this post? How many people have been sanction from the OPR, you will be surprised

I agree with you Tom. And you expressed the problem very well.

Marco, the number of times they use the power is not the relevant issue. Besides, it's 'early days'. " Power corrupts" is a saying that has ALWAYS proved true. And yes, I know of at least one case where someone's PTIN was suspended in error, and only a call from a Senator on the Committee with oversight over the IRS got it corrected. This took two weeks in the middle of tax season. It could have totally destroyed that person's entire practice if he had not been personal friends with that Senator. Because there is no mechanism in the Code for allowing you to continue to operate while appealing their decision. They can "turn your number off" at any time, and it STAYS OFF from that minute until THEY decide to turn it back on. Could you continue your practice without it? That was several years ago, today the IRS power has been greatly expanded over preparers. We need to bring some balance back into the system. the IRS is not always right, but if they are the only ones who get to decide, who is right, they will always decide in their own favor.

Tom's situation is a good example. The IRS action was in violation of their own rule, yet her only recourse was to comply with the mis-applied rule.

The system would not allow my wife to renew until she signed up for the RTP exam. What a crock of $h1t. It is not a requirement to pass the exam until next year. She is CTEC certified and should be allowed to renew her PTIN.

I love my country, but I am really starting to hate my government. Time for a revolution.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Tom, I had to sign up for it as well otherwise it wouldn't let me finish the PTIN renewal.

Eli