ATX Community

12.3 Update

Terry O

Just dowloaded the newest update 12.3 - - -observations:

Before in 12.1 - -time to rollover simple return - - - - 3 minutes - - now - - 2 min in 40 seconds

Before in 12.1 - -time to rollover returns with depreciation, sched C etc - - - 8 - 15 minutes - - -now - - -5 minutes

Before in 12.1 - - -time to OPEN up simple return after rollover - - 4 minutes - - - -now - - -2 minutes

Before in 12.1 - -time to OPEN up more complex returns after rollover - - -- 8 minutes - -now - - -5 minutes.

Sooooooooooo I now have to build in "opening" time - -no longer will I get a call and be able to open a return while the client is on the phone - -unless I have ESP and start the process BEFORE they call.

While I admit - -they have improved the program - - - - I just don't see the value - - - -yet.

:wall:

I can rollover a test return from 2011 but I cannot open the return in ATX 2012. This happened after a program update.

Prior to the update I had no problem opening the return in ATX 2012.

But after an update I receive a message that forms did not match up and to open and close the return in the 2011 return.

Did that and still no luck.

Anyone else have the same experience?

I can rollover a test return from 2011 but I cannot open the return in ATX 2012. This happened after a program update.

Prior to the update I had no problem opening the return in ATX 2012.

But after an update I receive a message that forms did not match up and to open and close the return in the 2011 return.

Did that and still no luck.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Today's program update did not solve my problem.

And the program took longer to open.

At this stage the program improvements should be solving problems, not creating new and bigger problems.

Not sure what to do next!

I just installed 12.3 and so far it seems to be faster. I am a chicken and have only rolled over a test return with a 1040, but it did open in less than a minute. Previously it was over 2 minutes to open. I printed and it didn't crash. I had a bunch of other issues with my computer, and had to do a system restore before I downloaded ATX. I am blaming an adobe update last night, but I don't know for sure, because my stupid computer just gained an hour when I restarted it. The time zone is correct, so I don't know what the heck is wrong with it. I scanned everything and it seems to be OK.

Barosser, I am curious. Were the "hidden" files system (Windows) files, software (ATX) files, or your (data) files?

The hidden attrib might be an issue on opening of data files, or if the software needed to update some of the software files. With current versions of Windows, only MS is supposed to alter system files.

This came up for me for the first time, last week. One of our customers had "somehow" set their data files to hidden. We do not set files to hidden, nor were expecting it to be hidden.

The "somehow" could have been direct fiddling with the file properties, some sort of computer or folder level fiddling, or any number of other possibilities. Since we will never really know how it happened, the net result is another line of code to undo what someone incorrectly did on their own... or some other program/process did to files it had no business messing with.

The problems can occur if permissions, ownership, and other security settings are unexpected to the software.

I just bit the first bullet and updated the program on my old XP computer. I very patiently left the room and washed the dishes while it took its time updating. After the update and the restart, program is working. I was able to open TEST return and even add a form to it. From open program (2 minutes) to open return (1 minute). Now on to doing the same with the new Win 7 computer.

BTW, my Medlin is working fine.

I just downloaded the update on the WIN 7 computer. All went well. This time I added the same form to the TEST return and rolled over a Partnership Return. All appears to be working OK other than speed which did improve some. There is one odd thing and that is that on the XP program, the download was completed at 97% and on the WIN 7 computer the download was complete at 93%. Is this a clue to something?

So far so good for me. Two Win7 64 bit machines up and running on the 12.3 update. Still too slow but improving. They have a ways to go and a short time to get there. Clients are calling for appointments and I don't know what to tell them. This better be fixed by next week or it will start costing me $$.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I also have a new Win 7 64 bit that I purchased this summer with 8BG RAM and installation was smooth for me but slower speeds for rolling over and opening/savings returns compared to the prior year programs. Strange thing that I see when rolling over returns - the rollover seems to happen normally, but I have to close down and reopen the program in order to see the new rollover returns in the Return Manager.

I have been working on some S-Corp returns for my organized clients and everything seems to be going smoothly within the program - I'm not a big fan of the look and feel of the new program, but figure that is mostly because it's new and vastly different from all the previous years. Strangely enough, ATX has not finished updating and approving the Form 8879-S eFile authorization form for some reason - I'm guessing most tech employee hours have been allocated to the many bugs that have been all the buzz lately.

The new print module is extremely different, but I must say I love the option of "Print Preview" to see what forms will be included in the planned print - that's pretty handy.

Well, I have the same bad experience as clay so far, but managed to run my ATX 2012 as admin and after installing the 12.3 update everything seems to be okay now! I can open a new return or roll over and open a return in a wink, can update forms and instructions, can see which forms have been updated so far and if instructions for them is available or not. It pulls out a report what forms are still not released by the IRS and thus not attached to your rolled over return. Everything with letters seems okay too.

Two more thing I can advise. 1. Same as Lloyd Hudson, go and get your downloadable version of the program from the website, and install it. Don't know what is the difference(if any at all) between both set up files, but it seems there is such, and it is in favor of the web one. At least this is the one that works for me fine, on my XP, 2GB RAM machine. And download everything! Updates, forms, fixes, etc ... all they release for the program, and which is supposed to fix the program. You paid for this after all.

2. Check your Internet default browser. For the ATX purposes it should be IE, although I am using Chrome/Firefox now, do not update(and do not intend to update) my IE recently - it is version 7 now, and stay far away from this program, it still should be your default browser for ATX ... just use any other in all other cases ;)

Finally, CCH have a lot of things to do on the program's compatibility.

Two short questions.

- Did you have your 2012 Payroll Module installed, and do you find any relations between speed and performance of the main program while there is or isn't payroll module installed?

- Do you know what is included in both 12.2 and 12.3 updates, and could this be one and the same, upgraded update?

TIA

The hidden files were ATX files. We also changes the name of all files that were associated with ATX prior to the re-install. The tech remoted in and finally go thte re-install complete. BUT I was advised to not update the program to 12.3 at this time since it seems to be very unstable still. I can work on returns on 12.0 but not many. I was on with or on hold for Tech support for over 4 hours to get the re-install completed, it was a very fun afternoon. I was able to practice having lunch at my desk which I think we will all be doing for many months to come.

It has been interesting and a bit disheartening reading the above tales of woe. I had earlier rolled over only my own with slowness admittedly but then just stopped doing anything with the program except updating the program and forms every few days when I knew it wasn't feasible to do any productive work as yet. Mine is a more complicated return involving depreciation, etc.

Today I decided to do the latest update. I then opened my return. It took 1 minute 10 seconds to get to the point where it listed all the forms not available then another 10 seconds to complete. I closed it and tried again. The updated return opened in 8 seconds to the forms list and 10 seconds after that. I am not going to complain about under 20 seconds to open this return.

I then rolled over my son's return which is much simpler. I took about 4 seconds.

I must be the luckiest ATX user on the board and I hope it continues and spreads to all of you!

• Like 1

I'm having the same problem as Clay. The very first return I rolled over-my own return, I can still not open in 2012. Was on phone with support for 45 minutes but got frustrated as I could tell I had more knowledge about the program then the girl on the phone. I asked her if I could send her the file but for some reason she didn't understand that. :wacko: Finally I said I'd email support...know acknowledgement of that email yet. Not even a confirmation email. Has anyone had responses to email support? I find it odd that I don't at least get an auto reply. I'm thinking though I have had a long haul with ATX...CCH is finally destroying it to the point I will have to find an alternative solution next year.

Carolyn

12.3 installed fine on my XP machine last evening.....still slow but better. I have not tried rolling over anything yet....I'm just too scared. The one return I had created after initial install of 12.1 (just a w-2 for refund estimate) did open faster with 12.3. I think I will wait until after 12.4 to roll over my personal return for more intense testing (since many of the forms are not yet available anyway).

Like others, I will soon have a flood of clients calling for appointments. They know I cannot "file" until 01/30, but many will want to bring in their W-2s and find out what their refund is going to be. I hope ATX is running better and that many additional forms are available before this flood hits.

Ran 12.3 today. Running XP, with 4 meg ram. I rolled over my personal return. can't do anything yet in it.. so it is basically just a shell.

Tried opening my return. Took 2 minutes to get to list of forms that cannot be rolled over.

another two minutes after that to open return... Ugh!

I have a "dummy return" with just a 1040 that I created as a new return. That took 2 minutes to open.!!

Two minutes into opening my return I got a pop-up from Norton "high cpu usage"... what the heck does that mean.??

Taxtrio