ATX Community

Suggested hardware requirements

cred65

quote from John

The program is nothing like 2011. Every function of the program is different.

Get a new system with the fastest quad-core processor, at least 8GB of RAM, Solid State Hard drive and a 1GB video card. The difference in how the program will work will astound you. Also be sure it is Windows 7, not Windows 8. XP is not whe dinosaur and Microsoft is very close to ending any support for it.

It is 2013. Adapt and change with the high-tech world we live in, and drive the bus instead of riding in the back of the bus.

About the solid state hard drive, can it just be added to an existing computer or does it need to be original equipment with the operating system installed on it?

To get the benefit, you need to replace the main system drive with it. A job for a techie for certain. If you buy new, the SSDs are pricey but the speed associated with them is phenomenal.

New system at the firm. Push the button, login screen in 4 seconds, desktop in total of 22 seconds.

Fix the program and the horrible new database server. You should not have to do such upgrades. In the end the program should complete a tax return. Not operate a nuclear powerplant or calculate missile trajectory. It is NOT your equipment, it is the program.

Hahahaha, this is what I have been thinking, but didn't want to get my lunch eaten. So, even though I have the ATX recommended specs, I ordered a computer, will spend a lot of money and time getting it all settled in, and be glad that little chore is done, cause I would eventually need a new computer. Maybe. Eventually. In a few years.

Nuclear powerplant / missile trajectory. Very funny. I love it. Yes, all I want is a stupid tax return. LOL.

• Like 2

I have atx running on a dual intel quad core xeon 2.33 ghz with 8gb or ram on a 2 tb raid stripe on a set of 15k RPM drives. if you see my other posts, i can open a 2011 return including the program and searching for client, to the 1040 on screen in 20.8 seconds, first time opening after a reboot. Even faster the 2nd time.

I can't even open the 2012 program in that time now. It has -0- to do with hardware and everything to do with the raven database engine and the way the program stores and accesses data. I sent ATX about 4-5 different service request and nothing in return for over a week beyond the automated response.

I am currently testing a handful of other tax programs now and while i'll have to limp through this year, another company will most likely be getting our account for next tax season. This release was a total lack of due care for the end user that I have seen from any software company. It was wreck-less and I place it above the Microsoft Windows ME release for all-time fail.

• Like 1

They are blowing smoke. I have a brand new server and all of my computers were upgraded at the end of 2012.

This is the worst software I have ever used. I have lost about 25 - 33% of my billable hours because of this software. Not to mention, the billable hours of my staff.

Where is Lacerte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I installed ATX 2008 to 2011 on a brand new Dell i5 with 8gb of ram, it probably took a few seconds to install those years and opening them. I had hard time installing ATX2012 (net setup), but I was able to install it, then the PC started making a noise like if it was trying to process something, I uninstalled it and the processing noise when away, reinstalled it and it came back no matter if ATX was closed. The program opens but it does take time to load.

unfortunately for lacerte , the massive Inuit giant has devoured them and I wouldn't dare attempt dealing with any product from Intuit. Intuit has screwed GAAP and any fundamental accounting system design and forces their services to your clients in an effort to undercut you. Then they slap you in the face with a "pro-advisor" status and offer their India complete payroll services to you clients. I'm stuck with Quickbooks, but that's enough and that's all they'll get. Played around with Drake (odd interface) and Thompson's Ultra Tax (looks nice would take adjusting) and will spend some more quality time this summer with them. :spaz:

The manual is a PDF version. See I did read your signature line!

I used Profx back when I worked for Grant Thornton, 1999-2002. It was an impressive program back then. Input screens can take getting used to; I remember on for S-corps I just never could remember where a particular input was, and spent a lot of time searching.

After the moaning and gnashing of teeth settles down, I need to find out who my sales rep is and inquire about Profx PPR for one return that is beyond ATX. I did it last year, but was definitely not easy. It would have been un-doable in Drake, Proseries, or any other mid-priced software.

The only key gripe about the old ATX engine was on state returns for clients who have multiple LLCs. ATX would not allow more than on LLC in the forms list. And the composite return never worked correctly. So you would have to print out a copy of each LLC and hope nothing changed. I'm sure we've all found that classic error message saying "You may include only one signature form in a return". lol Oh the good old days now I suppose. Haven't checked if the new cash for clunker program allows multiple 725 forms for state or not.

So, in other news... Has anyone been able to actually "edit" the client letters? I know most people have trouble with the new "attach" feature but when I attempt to edit these letters, I only get the hyperlink/call to the component of the letter and not the actual language. At least they have a check box for Me/I We/us.

Seen another person with the program update on the network please save and close ATX. That came from an update gone bad, lol. The only way around it is to exit ATX from every users, close any leftover ATX services (such as the rollover service) and download the update manually from the support site. Selecting the file that is for Update without using program. The other file uses the ATX update utility and will put you back in the exact same spot.

Ok, aside from the crashes, hourglasses, and any other performance issue... my biggest fear and complaint is the location and structure of the data. I want to know, and ATX should document it for us, what each folder in their directory is and what it does. I want to be able to copy the entire program as it is functioning and be able to restore it back and be fully functional. I could do this with every other prior version. Prior to 2012, the key directories that had all the gold was the YEARS and DATA folder. These two folders contained the tax forms and all client data. Copying these two folders and simply installing the downloaded installer you recently had used you could get ATX into full operation in 20 minutes or less depending on clients. That is a BIG security factor. All i can tell now at this point is there are more crucial folders such as Assets (forms), Formset (Client list & data), Company, Preparer and FAM Data directories. It now looks as if the e-file acknowledgements are also stored in a separate folder now so good luck to all. Sure, ATX says just use the backup option. Well, did that on a test install with a return, deleted the return, went to restore it from backup and poof... nothing.. like i never had backed it up. So i don't trust your program or your "backup". Give me a list of the data structure and what i need to rebuild the data if in emergency. Sure, i'm backing up all of the ATX and CCH Small Firms folders anyway just in case and i have "pieced" things back together to get the data WHERE i want it (OFF THE C: DRIVE DUUUHHHH) and I know quite a bit about the structure you are using now. But put it in writing for me. That's not too much to ask.

Oh wow, a return just opened and know time to do some work lol.

Profx on interview mode taxed my memory re what the forms were called. But, I use almost exclusively worksheet mode now that uses titles and descriptions. I love it. And, with dual screen mode I can have the data entry on the left and the government forms on the right and enter directly on the gov forms whenever I want, also. I just entered on gov forms one of the EIC questions as it was faster than flipping to a new worksheet. So easy to import gain/loss spreadsheets and K-1s from entities to individuals and calculate kiddie tax, all with a click of a button. It's pricey, but it's worth it for my clientele.

• 3 weeks later...

IT guy here:

2x Xeon E5606 Quad Core CPU (8 total cores) @ 2.13GHz

20GB RAM

4x 250GB 15K SAS in RAID10

Takes about a minute to open ATX.

1-5 minutes to open a return

30 seconds to close a return

Hardware is definitely not the problem. You can spend as much as you want, there will be almost no difference. Besides, reliability is paramount, and we can't keep ATX stable at all. Constant crashes.

Feel free to tap me for questions on your environment.

AMEN to that.. lol preaching to the choir now lol. Just to make them happy and install ATX in "their world". I have a dual quad xeon 2.66ghz 8-146GB SAS 15k RAID with 32 GB of ram wasting away to host data for lonely little workstations. If i dare transmit an efile from a workstation it never updates the status from "created" to "transmitted", even though the history shows it and will eventually update it once accepted. Program sucks.. pure plain and simple. To think that the entire branch of CCH still have jobs is absurd at this point. The CEO needs to be immediately pink slipped. Not to mention that leaving the program open , opening and closing returns hangs about 100 mb of memory until the program grows to like 1.5 GB and then crashes. SMOOTH MOVE.