ATX Community

Don't worry...its deductible

Janitor Bob

Client starts working for an insurance company as a W-2 employee. Company makes client pay for EVERYTHING....postage, travel expenses, office supplies, fees, testing, licensing. The company also has a mandatory dress code of suit & tie.

"but don't worry" the company tells the employee....."its all deductible on your tax return".

obviously some expenses are not deductible at all (new suits), but even the ones that are deductible (after 2% floor) when added to very little other Sch A deductions would never total as much or more than the clients standard deduction...

I hate it when people give out reckless/careless tax advice to those that trust/respect them.

another unhappy client I am forced to deal with

already sick of taxes this season.

:mad:

• Like 1

Lucy: "My sister-in-law is 89, and she keeps telling me I shouldn't have to file."

Me: "Tell her you file so you can get back your $1,112 that you shouldn't have let them withhold. Cause you didn't just fall off the baloney truck, Luce."

She bought it hook, line, and sinker.

• Like 1

I got a better one.

Client has ONE w2. I repeat one W2.

We do the return for 100.

We tell him it is complete and ready to pick up.......AND then...............he says well I have all this to write off.

WTH???? really where from. (I was thinking maybe travel stuff).....but I was WRONG,

Apparently I can write off a Grand Piano, his gas and milage, advertsiing the company pays for, travel (that he does not do, that his co-works do that are not claiming it). I was waiting for him to put his wife and dog and the kitchen sink on their the list.

this might be my first year but com' on man I am not that big of an idiot.... or am I? lol

“I am going to write off half the cost of my storage rental unit. My wife volunteers for “Friends of the Library” and we have been storing used books for them. I also want to write off half of our garbage bill since we disposed of their discarded books. Oh, and then I took our garden tractor down to the Country Club for spring cleanup, that must be about $60 per hour…….”

• Like 1

30+ years in the business - -I NEVER tire of the "I was talking to the guys in the bar/barbershop/mall/convenience store etc, and THEY told me - - - - -"

I usually smile & tell the client - "-well then - -let THEM prepare the return for you!"

My FAVORITE ever deduction was for a "girdle, whistle, tights "- - -?????? YEP - -a hockey referee that free-lanced - -and his term for a girdle was the back support that was mandatory at the time. :spaz:

• Like 1

30+ years in the business - -I NEVER tire of the "I was talking to the guys in the bar/barbershop/mall/convenience store etc, and THEY told me - - - - -"

I usually smile & tell the client - "-well then - -let THEM prepare the return for you!"

For us, it is the school bus drivers.....

• Like 1

"I am a civil service employee at the local Air Force Base. If this sequestration happens and I am furloughed, can I deduct the pay we lose on my taxes?"

Even better than deducting it, they won't tax it when it doesn't show up in your paycheck in the first place. And you don't have to pay Social Security on it either!

It is funny what clients hear and what is actually happening. Old client, new job as long haul trucker. Sends me an e-mail that says "we are getting his per diem deducted because the company says it will get us a bigger refund"? Huh? Deducted?

I send back an e-mail asking for a copy of the check stub. In the deductions column is a per diem amount, but it is a negative. They have been paying him a per diem all year. She says ok, but now they told me I can take all his expenses as well. I tell her you get per diem or you get expenses. Total up the expenses and I will let you know which one is better.

"That will take me forever...I have a ton of reciepts" was her answer. I guess she expected me to do it for her for free.

Clients, you just gotta endure them sometimes.

Tom

Hollister, CA